Topic: House of Pain Poster

Mike West just sent us the poster for his new film House of Pain. In his email he said he wanted to send us his poster since he thinks its as good as the others we have on site. I say he is a bald faced liar with bad taste... cause his poster is way ...

Read More : House of Pain Poster

Re: House of Pain Poster

Hey,

thanks a lot for putting up our poster.... i have to agree it is better than most, but i didn't want to sound too arrogant... lol

the poster was designed by the very talented Peter Mihaichuk (Art Director/Production Designer for "House of Pain").  You can see more of his work here:
www.mihaichuk.com
www.myspace.com/mihaichuk

To find out more about HOP, or to stay up-to-date as we work through our pre-production stage and get ready for our April 20th film date in Niagara Falls, go to:
www.roadragefilms.com or
www.myspace.com/houseofpainmovie

Thanks... and I'll keep you updated on our progress.

Mike West

Seems like we are gonna have to wait a lot of time for this movie. I can wait a long as it's needed, we all know what happens when you hurry things.

Can we expect a lot of gore? smile

The wait won't be too long.... its a 15 min version of what will hopefully become a feature if the response is great enough..... summer is a likely time to have it completed.

Like you said, you know what happens when you hurry!....... Even though this is just a short, its roughly 8 months (including writing and research) into the project with two more to go.... but if you're going to do something, i believe in taking the time to do it right.  Plus, if all goes well, we've just paved a decent path for a feature length version.

We are starting auditions on this saturday (24th), so look for some clips to be posted on our site smile

As for gore content.... i'm not sure yet....yes, there will be blood ( i know, bad reference, lol), but as for how much and how gory, its still up in the air.  What would you like to see?

To me, gore is being over used in some cases, sort of like sex, not that there's anything wrong with that... but i think letting the mind imagine a bit more then we've been asked to lately is one way to go.  We will have a couple of gags for sure though... can't have a horror without blood!

Sorry, this is getting a bit long winded..... so i'll pose the question back to you.... do you guys want to see more gore, or more suspense?  can there be both?

Mike

Hey Mike, first I'd like to welcome you to the site. I always love a good indie flick.. I also love a great short especially when the story is tailor made for it..

I'd like to see a healthy amount of gore but not over the top.. A couple of well placed effects are always good.. don't linger on the gore though.. Thats a problem I think that some indie gore movies have.. They linger too long.. Suspense is really a MUST.. I don't think there is such a thing as horror without it..

I think TCM is the perfect template for how much gore to use.. Of course the original.. There isn't too much but they have some spectacular gags including the meat hook scene..

Hey Mike, I dig the poster.  It's awesome.  Your film sounds incredible and I can't wait to see it.  The title alone gets me ready for what lies ahead.  I'm sure you wont dissapoint.

As for gore, I'm a big fan.  I like a big sloppy mess.  But, all in all, it's your film and it's up to you.  I'm sure you'll select the necessary ingredients to make the movie that you want to see.

Thanks for sharing on the boards.  smile

Hey,

Thanks for welcoming me to the board.... smile

Goon - I agree with the original TCM being a great balance of suspense and gore.  I know what you mean also about the lingering on the gag too long.... its like a magic trick... if you do it too slowly, or show too much, the fun/mystery is removed.  So even though we do have a couple of nice gags planned, i'll make sure to study some classic scenes to make sure we pull of the timing properly.

I think one of the great things about this short is going to be the location.  We have secured some great locations in Niagara Falls, an arcade, a ferris wheel, and the most kick ass haunted house there called Nightmares Fear Factory (http://www.nightmaresfearfactory.com).  Yes you read that correctly, we aren't shooting on a set, or someones basement, this is at all the real locations in Niagara, which i think will be something really cool.

TiM the Zombie - Tim, if i may call you that.... I stressed over the poster for a while, but when Peter (art director for HOP) sent it to me, i knew it was the one.  He nailed it on his first try.  Thank you again for the words of encouragement.... this is something we are taking great care and effort with in order to make it an enjoyable viewing experience.  There will be a few things left open though in the short.... but that's so we can go back for the feature.

I'll keep you all updated as things progress... Tomorrow (sat 24th) is our first auditions, then in a few weeks we start to rehearse.  We'll also be doing some make up tests, so i might through up some of those pics.

Thanks again, and if any of you are in the Niagara area at the end of april, let me know and we'll throw you in to the House of Pain.... LOL

Mike
www.myspace.com/houseofpainmovie
www.roadragefilms.com

when your done the short be sure to email it to us so we can feature it on TerrorFeed.com there is a shortage of good shorts on the site. welcome to the site, always good to have another filmmaker in our midst.

I will send you a copy, no problem..... I'm hoping to also get it into a few festivals if it turns out as good as i think it can. 

My moto is, crap in = crap out, which is why i am spending a lot of time on this project.... I think that's why there is a shortage of decent shorts out there.

Thanks again.... smile

Mike

P.S. Should the take line say "scream all you want, .... its good for business"  or ".... Great for business"  yes i know i am anal.

I loved the tagline.  That was one of my favorite parts.  Anyways, I would love to be in "House of Pain".  Although, I'm nowhere near you.  Damn... tongue

Thanks... i can take credit for the tagline, but not the poster, lol

it was just a moment of inspiration... the haunted house is amazing.... you pay to have the shit scared out of you, so it would make sense that they could care less if you scream, which makes it that much more scarier.....

where abouts are you?

Also, who in the hell isn't attracted to haunted attractions?  Is there going to be a high body count?  tongue

I live down in Santa Babara, California.  Where it's usually hot as hell.

that's how i got the inspiration for the story, in niagara falls, there are at least 6 of them... and i always go into them, even though i am scared stiff... lol

body count... guess you'll have to wait and see! there are 5 main characters... not all make it out is all i can say.

Santa Barbara huh... is that close to san jose?  i'll be in SJ in october for a wedding.

Last edited by House of Pain (2007-02-23 10:31:22)

This sounds great!  And I'd also like to throw out my welcome to the site.  I can't wait to see the short.  I'm a huge fan of shorts and I think many deserve more respect outside the Festivals.

Thanks skidog,

i think in some respect, shorts are harder, as you have less time to develop characters and story lines.

I love the tag line!

Yeah, San Jose is just a couple of hours north of Santa Barbara.  Cool place.

Cool, perhaps when I am in San Jose we can hook up and see a scary movie, or something.....

skfan - thanks..... guess we did a good job on the tagline smile  that's the first of many hurdles.

Hey guys.... just got back from a very long day of auditions.... well all i can say is i am so exhausted.... but, i can also say there are some really talented actors out there who have yet to catch a break. 

It's going to be really hard to narrow down the candidates for a 2nd round, but i guess that's what i've signed up for!.....  stay tuned for some pics and perhaps auditions videos in the next few days smile

I will say that after see some great talented actors today that i see a lot of potential for this short, and i'm sure we won't disappoint you guys

It's really great that you've already started casting. I'd like to see the audition videos to get an idea of how it's an audition. Obviously I can't give you any advice but please, don't forget about the hot chicks. tongue

Go with tons of suspense a little gore so you don't take time away from character development. Well, just my thoughts.

Kruz - There will be a fine balance between talent and hotness, lol.... There are a couple of potential scream queens smile

I'll likely put up the footage of the ones we pick... but very brief as to not give away any of the plot.

I am in agreement with the suspense and character development over gore factor, i think it will make a for a more enjoyable viewing experience.

thing's are looking good... i'll keep updating the info as we go along and bring you guys along for the ride.... next sunday is our callbacks.

Great. Thanks for keeping us updated.

hey, no problem, thanks for showing your interest/support smile

It's not always easy to get support in this industry.

there is an interesting poll on this site where readers voted on the most essential aspects of an indie horror film. Do a quick look on the indie forum. looking forward to reading your progress.

Meh - thanks i'll do that.... anything i can learn or do to better our odds of putting out a quality short is greatly appreciated.