Topic: Japanese/Korean Horror movies

Over the past few months i am hooked or should i say obssessed with the above
horror, there are so many new movies to look forward too it's amazing, as we
don't see them out here in picture theatres, i have to wait for dvd, which is not too
bad, and would also like to thank, the people concerned that allow us to view a "trailer" of the forthcoming movie. We have a dvd store that actually caters for
Asian movies, and they have an excellent up to date range of horror movies, at an
excellent price, so you can imagine how often i visit the place. Looking forward to
"God's Left Hand"/Devil's Right Hand", "The Grudge2", "Colic" "One Missed Call"3 final, "Death Note", "To Sir with Love" aka "Teachers Mercy", Arang" "Cinderella"
Norika's "Dinner Table" aka "Suicide Club2", "Forbidden Siren", the awesome looking
"The Host", "Untold Story"/The Red Forest", "Aunt Tiger". But to my surprise the dvd is out now! But it's the Chinese version only. Estimated time of release is around
4-6 weeks "Re-Cycle", i am screaming for that movie! Look forward to some thoughts
on the above

Re: Japanese/Korean Horror movies

Hey, This topic has been moved to Foreign section.. But about the movies you mentioned yea. I'm really into Asian horror.. Among those you mentioned I am particularly hyped for The Host and Re-Cycle. I'm also looking forward to God's Left Hand Devils Right Hand, Death Note, and to some extent Norikos Dinner Table..

Soon we will be able to see The Host in theatres here in the states.. I don't know how large of a theatrical release it is getting but hopefully wide enough so I can check it out..

R-Point is a good Korean ghost story. 

It is about a group of Korean soldiers in the Vietnam War sent to an area known as R-Point where another platoon disappeared over a month ago.  But, the South Korean military has recieved radio messages from the platoon from R-Point...and a new group of soldiers are sent in to find out what happened.

It is very creepy and much of the action takes place in and around an Old French Colonial Manor/Hotel that dominates R-Point.

battle royale is a classic and one of my favorite asian horror films.  Trust me when i say that battle royale 2 is junk.  Its a really bad movie.  Another good film is called "three extremes" or ju-on and i have heard that r-point is creepy, in which case i am dying to see it.

I bought BR2 and what I have watched of it is pretty good so far.

Battle Royale is an awesome movie.  Any horror movie ever done by Takashi Miike is just insanely good, especially in Audition where he made a woman the violent one... I am afraid of Asian women with piano wire because of this film lol.  I am really looking forward to Death Note.  I also recently caught this movie called Infected which was pretty interesting.

*Writes down R-Point*

As for Asian horror movies in general... I am for ASIAN horror movies... not AMERICAN or BRITISH remakes of ASIAN horror movies lol.  Best Example is Sarah Michelle Gellar in the Grudge.  Such painful acting and such a weak run on the film.  I was not scared, nor thrilled, but annoyed that I could not get my $10.75 back.  However, this will soon be replaced with the American remake of Battle Royale which will probably contain kids from the WB or Fox, in college, killing each other off screen.

Yea all the films you guys mentioned are good.. I didn't mention any of them because I was thinking of upcoming films.. But if you wanna see some good foreign films in general A Tale of Two Sisters and The Eye are required viewing.. Those are both brilliant films which just so happen to be getting a remake.. I might see The Eye just because Jessica Alba might be taking the lead.. wink

This is a list of the other Asian horrors i have, must admit R-Point sounds o.k. Everytime i see R-Point, should i buy the dvd, the cover looks great, think i will buy that one next. Goon loved "The Eye" & a favourite is the weird "A Tale Of Two Sisters"
Here is a list of my korean/Japanese horror. As well as the 2 before: "Premonition"
"Into The Mirror" "One Missed Call" 1&2, "Phone" "Suicide Club" "Koma" 1&2,
recently bought quite good too "Sympathy For Lady Vengeance", "Cello", "Red Shoes"
"The Heirloom" "Audition" JU-on the grudge 1&2, The weird but strange "Marebito"
3Extremes 1&2, Kairo/Pulse. Within 4-7 weeks will have a copy of to my surprise "Re-Cycle. There is a killer Thai movie due soon, have seen the trailer it looks wicked,
A bus load of students are going on a class trip, when the bus crosses a rotten bridge
when all of a sudden the bus ends up in the river down below with very few survivors,
The remaining survivors have to find their way through a dark forrest, as things aren't going as planned, the forest is rigged with deadly traps, and a mysterious killer is on the loose. Now this is where it gets wild, i kid u not. This is one review, a mixture of Final Destination & High Tension, but more gorier and brutal, this slasher movie has one of the highest body counts, with over the top death scenes. It's
a Thai movie entitled 'SCARED' Have seen the trailer, my god, please discusss

I just found that trailer and posted it on the site.. The movie looks fantastic and I thought it looked more like Battle Royale meets Final Destination..  Check out the trailer here..

http://www.horror-movies.ca/horror_6152.html

looks like good gory fun

This looks awesome. I HAVE to get this on dvd. Is there any word on any kind of dvd release date for any region? I'm sure goon will know. This kind of film is right up my alley. It's got me well excited lol, i neeeeeed it lol

Last edited by adamroddis (2006-07-17 15:58:41)

Goon & Adamreoddis, In regards to the Thai Horror movie, must admit with the body count i only saw it a few weeks ago, does remind me of a little of "Battle Royale"
when it came to the body count, but more brutal. The film screens first in Thailand around the 10th or 11th November, but uncertain how long it takes for a dvd release.
You would think 2-3 months. Another Thai horror which is pretty viloent due on the
27th July is "Art Of The Devil"2, and due in September but only 60 minutes long but quite disturbing too is, can't spell is name but i will try Takashi Mike's, I understand it was banned due to it's excessive violence and gore. "Imprint" have seen a number of photos and also a trailer they say it makes "Audition" look tame. Look forward to both.

art of the devil 2 just came to me today!!! imprint kicks ass

it says on twitchfilm.net that scared was on thai cinemas last november, so why no dvd yet?

It will take a long time before we get it on DVD.. Heh I meant to reply to you yesterday but it slipped my mind. It really depends on who picks up the U.S. rights.. But even when that happens it will still take awhile to get a DVD release here. It will probably hit Thailand soon.. But don't count on a U.S. release for the next year or more..

Goon, Scared is this November, went to twitch too, and not to mention the trailers are
now available so it makes sense for this November. Check out another killer Thai horror saw the trailer looks amazing too: "Colic" Check out these 2 sites for updates"
KFCCinema, and 24framespersecond, and you will find updated stuff

here's what i saw on twitch

Pakphum Wongjinda's Scared (Rabnong sayong kwan) - a.k.a. "Hazing Holocaust" - is scheduled to be screened at the 2006 Fantasia Festival in Montréal on Tuesday July 18th at 5:30 p.m.. Sahamongkol Film International Co. Ltd. released the movie theatrically in Thailand on November 10th of last year.

ive just found the thai dvd but it has no subtitles

Goon& Adam apologies as you suggested "Twitch", gave all the details on "Scared" As you suggested
it's difficult to say when we will see an English sub-titled dvd version, Let me know what you think of Colic. Here are 2 more web-sites that give you the latest on upcoming Korean/Japanese horror, you may have seen them already:
KFCCINEMA & this ones not too bad: 24framespersecond

Takashi Miike is doing a masters of horror episode, i wonder when thats going to hit DVD, i just know thats going to be really good.

Imprint will be on DVD on September 26th.

About the Scared DVD.. Yea but I know how most of these DVD distributors work. When it comes to getting a company to pick up the rights it will probably be awhile.. Than add about 3 months, so they can hype it up on DVD maybe even more so they can add special features and press up a bunch of DVDs. I'm still guessing we won't see the film with a U.S. release for a year.. I hope I am surprised but from what I have seen from most films that is how long it takes.. I mean look at Battle Royale, we still don't have a Region 1 release for that movie..

We do have the Region 0 release, which is good enough.  The special features do not have english subtitles, but they are still a nice look.

Imprint is definatly one of my must buys....even if it has the crappy photoshop cover....i think i will still buy or at least rent it.  Also, in the current issue of Fangoria, there is a 1 page article on Imprint.

Yea I own the Region 0 release but to be honest its not really good enough. The subtitles are sub par and the people doing them don't have a firm grasp of the english langauge.. Plus none of the special features have any subtitles..

I mean yea we get to see the movie so thats good.. But a film of that caliber should get a grand 2 Disc special edition in the U.S... That thing would have sold like hot cakes but now with all the bootlegging and that Korean Region 0 release I don't think they would make much off of it...

My DVD has the original Japanese but with English subtitles.  I am annoyed that the special features lack English subtitles though.

Goon as you said "Scared" is only "Thai" dvd. As the film is well over 8 months old, you would think, an English sub-titled dvd would be available in between those months. With the film showing at the Montreal film festival, could we see an English
sub-titled release not long after that? There is some slight news, as usual, but uncertain it's release but there is an H.K. on the way.