Topic: Universal Studios Monsters

How about the monsters that pretty much started it all.....

I love watching the original Dracula, Frankenstein, The Bride Of Frankenstein, The Wolf Man every now and then. The mood of those films is still good IMO.

Bela Lugosi, Boris Karloff, Lon Chaney Jr.

There are many more original Universal Studios Monsters, but these movies are my favorite of them.

Anyone here into these films?

Re: Universal Studios Monsters

I think the characters are interesting, but i think the movies are just way to oldschool but then again it did kind of start it all so we do owe some credit to those monsters.  One of the monsters i thought was pretty neat was the creature from the black lagoon which would be one of my all time favorites.

The Wolf Man remains my favorite Universal old school film.. If you like Dracula I suggest you watch the Spanish version.. Its fascinating how different the films are.. Several scenes are shot in different ways but they seem a little more effective.. I think the cast for the English version is far superior though..

I never seen the spanish version before. It could be very interesting to see the differences and the similarities of the 2 films

Creature from the Black Lagoon.  "All Hail the Gillman!"

-deadmanwalkin

I remember as a little kid I would have those universal monster model kits. I use to love putting them together and painting them. my favorite color was red for blood smile
Who knows where they are today but for some reason thinking about how much fun I had sure brings back memories.

I never get tired ot watching Boris Karloff and Lon Chaney.  Still good stuff.

deadmanwalkin wrote:

Creature from the Black Lagoon.  "All Hail the Gillman!"

I actually saw that movie in 3-D when I was a kid.

Man, this thread brings back memories.
I remember having little figures of all the monsters. They weren't the ones from the model kit though. They were more like the old school Star Wars action figures. They came in a haunted house or something. It included The Wolf Man, Dracula, Frankenstein's monster, The Mummy, The Creature, and the Phantom of the Opera. Those were the days. sad

But speaking about the movies themselves, they are all classics. I've been meaning to revist them.  I just might watch The Wolf Man this weekend. big_smile

Creature from the Black Lagoon has just stood out to me.  But I cant even come close to forgetting about The Wolf Man or Dracula or the rest.  I mean, those universal monsters inspired film makers like George Romero, enough said.

The boris Karloff collection is coming to DVD which I am sure has some excited on this thread http://www.horror-movies.ca/horror_6451.html

That looks awesome.  It might even be worth picking up.

Last edited by TiM the Zombie (2006-09-06 22:05:57)

Yea the 75th Anniversary edition of Dracula and Frankenstein is also being released on September 26th.. I'd pick it up but that is one jam packed day so I will probably wait a while..

I collect Universal Monster stuff, but not to the fetishistic extreme I'd like it to be.  Have since I was a kid.  Karloff, Lugosi, the Chaneys, Ms. Lanchester and Mr Laughton, Claude Rains, Vincent Price... They are the end all and be all to me.  HUGE fan!

Hey thats cool Mirthquake. So what type of items do you collect?

I have models, plush, figures, posters, standees, DVDs, VHS, LVD, polystone busts,  trading cards, sweatshirts, books, scriptbooks...  Basically whatever I had the money for when I found them.  Got three posters and four decks of cards featuring the monsters, just last week.

Sounds like you have a nice collection there.
I use to have models, trading cards, posters and many Famous Monsters of Filmland mags. That was about it and I have no idea where any of them are now.

I've only seen Frankenstein, Dracula and The Creature from the Black Lagoon..but my favorite is Dracula..

I love some of these old films, The creature from the black lagoon and the wolfman are my favorite. I have been meaning to pick up the universal DVD packs for the old monters, Does anyone have them, are they worth getting?

If you want them all at once, the Legacy collections are great.  Get all five Frankie movies  in one package.  Buying all six collections, you get the lions share of the entire Universal Monster oeuvre.

I like the atmosphere of the old movies to. They put bats and spiders,foggy graveyards. Scared me when i was a kid, I'm 37 now, wonder what affect todays movies would've had.