Topic: Bluray Giving DVD Owners The Shaft! Bend Over!

A thread on the forums today brought up a great point and one that is certainly getting under my skin. As of late studios have started punishing those of us who still do not want to pay inflated Bluray prices by taking things away.
The reason for pe...

Read More : Bluray Giving DVD Owners The Shaft! Bend Over!

Re: Bluray Giving DVD Owners The Shaft! Bend Over!

This angers me to no end! Thats why i made a thread about it. FIGHT THE POWER! http://cdn.nextsmallthings.com/coolchaser.com/thumb-6578013.jpg

Last edited by pR1m3vil (2009-07-16 16:02:04)

Bluray's where I am cost £15 at the cheapest for some very crappy movies and rise into the £40 category. The price is insane for one thing but I loved my video's, got rid of most because they were on their way out and switched to DVD.

But I don't want to switch to Bluray, I like my DVDs. The picture is crisp enough, special features are/ were in abundance and it was smoother sailing.

I have since built up quite a collection. I do not need a crisper picture so why should I pay so much for Bluray when DVD gives me as much. I pay fair and true, I give money in good faith it doesn't matter wherever you like Bluray or DVD it is the principle.

I pay, so why should I get stiffed for them trying to play the competitive market? It's not fair on the consumers who if it was not for them, DVDs would not exist. Respect the people who pay for these films and stop pushing DVD aside when it deserves as much respect as Bluray.

'Nuff said. smile

That is absolute bullshit.  I agree with BTK, I've also built up quite the DVD collection, and to find I'm gonna get stiffed on special features, fuck that.  If I have to bend over honey, I'd better find it worth my while!   Grrr!!!!!!! wink

This kind of reminds me of a book I read, called Farrenheit 451...In a way what happened in the story is becoming reality and we are the few who don't follow, I hate the idea of collecting DVDs for years and years then having to redo everything I did with a new platform. This is bullshit...Give DVDs a longer run instead of just like 10 short years. hmm This sucks!

Well, at least Blu-Ray did one thing right, and you can play your old DVDs on your Blu-Ray player. So it's not like all your DVDs are completely obsolete.

But, the price for BluRay players and discs are insane, and IMO not worth it. Sure, you get a slightly better image quality, but since the majority of the movies I watch are low-budget 80s films, slightly better image quality doesn't do a hell of a lot for me. But, for films like "The Dark Knight" and things like that, the quality is amazing, but I don't know if it's worth paying double for the Blu-Ray than you would for the DVD.

I've actually read an article (don't remember where from) that Bluray's prices are going to be lowering around this Christmas, because around that time China will be allowed to start producing their own brands of Bluray players, and other companies will likely have to lower their prices to compete. If this does indeed happen, then maybe the transition from DVD to Bluray will go more smoothly than it seems now.

I have a PS3, so I can watch Blurays but it still pisses me off. I'm not going to pay $30 to $40 every time I want to buy a new movie.

yeah, same here but I only own two movies on Blu-ray.. Friday The 13th (2009) and Knowing big_smile

That's unfortunate, but you can see what they're doing. Blu-ray sales need to go way up before blu-ray player prices come down. DVDs should be obsolete by now but instead blu-ray hasn't taken off yet.

i've said it before and i'll say it again "THANK YOU TORRENT SITES....AND F^UCK YOU HOLLYWOOD STUDIOS!!".  i feel NO guilt whatsoever. just got a dvdscrnr rip of TERMINATOR:SALVATION (perfect quality!!!) and the studios can bite me. i did the same with the FRIDAY THE 13th BR bonus features!! and i'll continue to do so since they are NOW making this a war (IMO).

I agree completely with Meh. I have been protesting and boycotting blu-ray since it started. They just want to swicth formats to once again force people to ungrade for the sole purpose of making money. That's all these greedy corporate pricks care about anyway. There isn't a damn thing wrong with DVD. You got a clear picture...does any seriously need it more clear?? Really??? I think not. I refuse to give in.  Now they want to take away special features? Screw them. I still won't buy blu-ray! I'll just deal with having no special features. I don't care. I'd rather have no features than put money into their already bloated wallets. So they can kiss my ass.

I'm not going to switch to Blu-Ray. I've built a collection of film and TV show titles and am fed up of this whole Blu-Ray thing being rammed down my throat on and off the web (including in film, TV, DVD and Blu-Ray magazines). Where is it going to stop? After Blu-Ray there will be something else which will come along, then another format and so on.

Last edited by WaveCrest (2009-07-16 18:41:54)

F**king Sony!
They had to get their panties all in a bind because they lost out in the VHS vs Beta fight way back when! :lol
Even though I mostly rent rather than buy, I don't want to have to fork out the dough to get a BR player just to see the special features.  Nor am I excited about the idea of having to pay more just to rent BR discs.  I am sure that eventually the prices of the discs and the players will go down, but it just goes to show how greedy these corperate bastards are.  Rather than using a standard format or platform, they have to create something entirely new so that they can squeeze every last penny out of the consumer!:(

Well I would like a blue ray but to be honest i do not see the difference much. i think dvd players do the trick.

also i rarely and i do mean rarely will ever pay more than 10$ for a dvd. I sure as hell will not pay $30. I would rather go to illegal downloads then pay an arm and a leg for a blueray

Last edited by Godzilla_Rules (2009-07-16 19:08:29)

djblack1313 wrote:

i've said it before and i'll say it again "THANK YOU TORRENT SITES....AND F^UCK YOU HOLLYWOOD STUDIOS!!".  i feel NO guilt whatsoever. just got a dvdscrnr rip of TERMINATOR:SALVATION (perfect quality!!!) and the studios can bite me. i did the same with the FRIDAY THE 13th BR bonus features!! and i'll continue to do so since they are NOW making this a war (IMO).

Ooh, you evil pirate. LMAO

http://isiria.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/pistol-pirate-bust.jpg

I support your actions 100% though. smile

DOWN WITH BLU-RAY!

http://gfx1.gamelink.com/GLImages/prodimages/295410.jpg

djblack1313 wrote:

Hey could you send me the link for the t4 screener plz smile

djblack1313 wrote:

nice way to rationalize piracy...

so out of curiosity...are all of the haters withdrawing from consideration for the Blu Ray Player giveaway on principle?:lol:

I am! Not because i hate Bluray (i don't care i just think it shouldn't be forced) I dont need a BluRay player, plus i have no chance.

Bulin wrote:

so out of curiosity...are all of the haters withdrawing from consideration for the Blu Ray Player giveaway on principle?:lol:

I know I am. I won't even allow a blu-ray disc into the house.

I've boycotted this nonsense since the HD-DVD and Blu-ray war and will continue to do so until we can download our movies onto USB flash drives from machines in the entrances to supermarkets.

^ That would be cool but you can do that at your own house, plus it would make piracy allot easier.

pR1m3vil wrote:

^ That would be cool but you can do that at your own house, plus it would make piracy allot easier.

The technology is there to make specifically encrypted flash drives. They'll always be piracy one way or another though because I doubt that there are any movies anywhere now that someone hasn't stored digitally already.

With the prices of DVDs at an all time low, I don't even think that companies even care about piracy of the older movies anymore anyway. I mean, honestly, where is the enormous market for them to make money from the Universal's 1931 version of Dracula for instance? I expect only about 100 people the world over would even be interested in ever watching that again. smile

Like i said yesterday... i don't see a real difference in picture quality from bluray to my upconverting dvd player . definitely not worth paying 2-4 times the price for a movie either. If they're going to push bluray .. IMO it needs to be beyond the current 1080p capabilities then.

Nocturnal wrote:

Like i said yesterday... i don't see a real difference in picture quality from bluray to my upconverting dvd player . definitely not worth paying 2-4 times the price for a movie either. If they're going to push bluray .. IMO it needs to be beyond the current 1080p capabilities then.

The truth is that there is no difference. It's all psychological. They tell people that blu-ray is so much better and then they start believing it so much that they really see it.

Blu-ray is the "emperor's new clothes" with a hefty price tag and the need for yet another overpriced connecting cable.