Re: Bluray Giving DVD Owners The Shaft! Bend Over!

you guys seriously need to stop your complaining, blu-ray has superior video and audio quality, along with more storage space for, you guessed it, special features.  Maybe the reason dvd's don't have special features anymore is because the video bitrate is higher thus using more space.  If the price was the same you guys would all be saying, why are you getting it on dvd when blu-ray is so much better.  A previous post was just talking about the T4 dvdscr which they called "perfect quality" yeah not even on a 2inch nano screen is that perfect quality.  It basically comes down to price for most people, just cuz you're cheap doesn't mean one product isn't better than the other.

I think you're missing the point Kappa
(yes we are complaining). Price is a big factor but... We are being punished for still using dvd by getting no features. Instead of letting it take its course we are being forced into blluray.

ShawnStaggs wrote:

You got a clear picture...does any seriously need it more clear?? Really???

It doesn't look fantastic stretched out to fill my 40" HDTV, which I'm not sure is very big anymore.

KidKappa wrote:

you guys seriously need to stop your complaining, blu-ray has superior video and audio quality, along with more storage space for, you guessed it, special features.  Maybe the reason dvd's don't have special features anymore is because the video bitrate is higher thus using more space.  If the price was the same you guys would all be saying, why are you getting it on dvd when blu-ray is so much better.  A previous post was just talking about the T4 dvdscr which they called "perfect quality" yeah not even on a 2inch nano screen is that perfect quality.  It basically comes down to price for most people, just cuz you're cheap doesn't mean one product isn't better than the other.

Studios could easily release those special features on a second DVD though. I'm also skeptical that there's "more room" on a blu-ray disc. Does a minute of blu-ray video take up a smaller proportion of disc space than on DVD? Regardless it's an obvious ploy to sell blu-ray to the masses.

I am a very pro blu ray advocate and I still have a problem with DVDs being released without any special features.  If they are willing to release a brand new movie on DVD with just the film for 10 bucks, then I am OK with that.  It's pretty much the price of a theater admission but now I own it.

I read the same article that UncleAndross read about blu rays going down around xmas, but its still a very slippery slope.  I guess what I'm saying is did anyone really think that DVD was the end all for video collectors?  There are always going to be new technologies.  I love DVD because it is getting really affordable for old and out of print movies to get distribution which is awesome but blu ray (or something like it) is the future.

As for flash downloads, i like the concept, but I want to own something.  Like for example, I have never bought a cd off of itunes because I want a cd.  I want a case, I want liner notes, I want o see a physical representation of what I bought not a bunch of ones and zeros on a server somewhere.  ones and zeros can be copied duplicated and cracked.  That is just how it is and how it will always be until computer programing courses are reserved for only government employees.

I guess what I'm saying is that I will pay between 20 and 30 dollars for a blu ray or even a DVD as long as the money is worth the purchase whether its digital, blu ray or DVD.

KidKappa wrote:

you guys seriously need to stop your complaining, blu-ray has superior video and audio quality.

Really? So then why doesn't the PS3 blow away the xbox 360 in the graphics department? and sound ?

Nocturnal wrote:
KidKappa wrote:

you guys seriously need to stop your complaining, blu-ray has superior video and audio quality.

Really? So then why doesn't the PS3 blow away the xbox 360 in the graphics department? and sound ?

Another good point.

31 wrote:
KidKappa wrote:

Studios could easily release those special features on a second DVD though. I'm also skeptical that there's "more room" on a blu-ray disc. Does a minute of blu-ray video take up a smaller proportion of disc space than on DVD? Regardless it's an obvious ploy to sell blu-ray to the masses.

Actually a Blu-Ray disc can hold around 25GB of data compared to 9GB for a dual layer DVD.  It's because the BR laser has a smaller wavelength (450nm to 980nm ?), so more tracks can be laid into the same amount of space since each track is narrower.

As for KidK- Prime and 31 mostly got you covered.  As for your "video bitrate" bit (ha!), BR bitrate has nothing to do with DVD bitrate.  Extra features means extra data to store, and if you have more than 9GB of data, you need to go to a 2nd disc.  Also, BR doesn't have superior audio qualtiy as DVD already have digital Dolby, STTS, 5.1, 7.1, whatever.  At this point you would need a near pro audio setup to tell the difference.  I grant BD has better video resolution since it can do 1080i video.  The problem is that not enough people have 1080i TVs, and if they do they are not large enough to really see any difference.  Switching to DVDs made a huge impact because almost every TV could be used and there was a huge difference in quality from VHS.  So DVD got popular mighty quick.  BR is essentially an incremental step up.

It will be a while before BR players drop into the same price range as DVD players.  Heavy processors for the larger bitrate (ah, used correctly), built-in hard drive/SSDs/flash, and network ports.  Overhead costs for BR Live sites (until that starts getting charged). 

And there is no reason for BR discs to be more expensive.  The physical manufacturing is the same.  A few extra cycles to encode into BR is not breaking the bank.  There is no reason for a similar DVD and BR should be priced differently.  So, let's make exclusive content for BR!  Sorry, I'll wait.

(I think I fell into engineer mode for a moment  big_smile )

Last edited by azathoth (2009-07-17 04:08:35)

azathoth wrote:
31 wrote:
KidKappa wrote:

Actually a Blu-Ray disc can hold around 25GB of data compared to 9GB for a dual layer DVD.  It's because the BR laser has a smaller wavelength (450nm to 980nm ?), so more tracks can be laid into the same amount of space since each track is narrower.

As for KidK- Prime and 31 mostly got you covered.  As for your "video bitrate" bit (ha!), BR bitrate has nothing to do with DVD bitrate.  Extra features means extra data to store, and if you have more than 9GB of data, you need to go to a 2nd disc.  Also, BR doesn't have superior audio qualtiy as DVD already have digital Dolby, STTS, 5.1, 7.1, whatever.  At this point you would need a near pro audio setup to tell the difference.  I grant BD has better video resolution since it can do 1080i video.  The problem is that not enough people have 1080i TVs, and if they do they are not large enough to really see any difference.  Switching to DVDs made a huge impact because almost every TV could be used and there was a huge difference in quality from VHS.  So DVD got popular mighty quick.  BR is essentially an incremental step up.

It will be a while before BR players drop into the same price range as DVD players.  Heavy processors for the larger bitrate (ah, used correctly), built-in hard drive/SSDs/flash, and network ports.  Overhead costs for BR Live sites (until that starts getting charged). 

And there is no reason for BR discs to be more expensive.  The physical manufacturing is the same.  A few extra cycles to encode into BR is not breaking the bank.  There is no reason for a similar DVD and BR should be priced differently.  So, let's make exclusive content for BR!  Sorry, I'll wait.

(I think I fell into engineer mode for a moment  big_smile )

Azathoth, you really know your Blu-Ray facts!

i hadn't noticed this before but hell that's mean. Okay so my words don't have much power.

DrBlood wrote:
Nocturnal wrote:

Like i said yesterday... i don't see a real difference in picture quality from bluray to my upconverting dvd player . definitely not worth paying 2-4 times the price for a movie either. If they're going to push bluray .. IMO it needs to be beyond the current 1080p capabilities then.

The truth is that there is no difference. It's all psychological. They tell people that blu-ray is so much better and then they start believing it so much that they really see it.

Blu-ray is the "emperor's new clothes" with a hefty price tag and the need for yet another overpriced connecting cable.

That's like saying that there is no difference between an mp3 at 192 kbps and 320 kbps....

Which frankly, is not true.

Case in point: The major difference between Blu-ray and DVD is the resolution. In order for you to benefit from the increased resolution, you simply need to look at a larger screen, generally. Naturally, if you spend a lot of time watching something on a 20 inch screen, you'll probably not notice too much a different level of clarity between  DVD, or Blu-ray.

However, if you're watching it on a 53-inch television, there is a huge difference. Once again though, it matters how closely you watch from. The human eyes can distinguish a resolution of 576 megapixels, so you can see a difference between DVD and Blu-ray resolution. That being said, some people's visual acuity is different, so some people can see a noticeable difference when other's can't, so maybe my eyes just kick all your guys' asses.

Edit:

Nocturnal wrote:
KidKappa wrote:

And that would be because the game programmers have not fully utilized the graphics capabilities of the PS3, or the 360 for that matter. But if they had, you'd see a veritable difference, because the PS3 is a much more powerful machine, which is why it costs so damn much.

Last edited by EasterBunnyKiller (2009-07-17 13:24:08)

i personally don't mind blu-ray but i look at the price that is the determining factor for me to decide whether to get blu-ray or dvd plus i don't mind used blu-rays which is a reasonable price and if the special features are on blu-ray only than i guess i can do without special features.

KidKappa wrote:

So we have no right to complain? It annoys me when people say things like this. We're accused of moaning or complaining when we feel strongly about something.

Don't sweat it wave he probably works for the bluray marketing board wink lol:lol:

Someone's gotta try and persuade people to buy the overpriced junk big_smile

I just don't like it when people say we are complaining about something. Thanks for the reply.

So what if we're complaining? We're entitled to complain if we're being shafted by big business.

Lots of complaints about pricing. Here's the thing: Buy online!  I am a recent convert to bluray and have found amazon and deepdiscount to be the way to go. Even new releases are much cheaper through third party sellers on amazon. Case in point: I just bought MBV 3D on bluray for 14.99 and The Haunting in Conn for 16.99.

And if you have a Walmart go and buy their new Magnavox bluray player for $98. I did.

Honestly I have no problem with the special features being bluray only. It's a way to bring consumers to buy more blurays. Once demand is up, production levels will be up, which means dropping costs for consumers. Bluray will fully takeover eventually so why not offer those who use the product better features to help sell more and drive down costs

That's all well and good for you guys over the pond but us Brits are screwed.

I remember when DVD was first introduced we had the same problems and arguments with pricing then. Same shit different format wink
Doesn't mean we have to like it though.

I'm not getting into a spiel on the price, but I like my DVD's! Why should I pay full price and then not getting features because they are exclusively for Bluray now? That's my problem, my loyalty means I am getting stiffed in the process. Tactic's like this really annoy me and that is not a easy thing to do.

Sod the prices, sod the comp, I just wanna know where's the loyalty to the customers who make their sales soar so high? Your preference should not mean that you get the half baked idea while the other majority get what they want for their system.  hmm

<INSERT MACHO NAME HERE> wrote:

That's all well and good for you guys over the pond but us Brits are screwed.

I remember when DVD was first introduced we had the same problems and arguments with pricing then. Same shit different format wink
Doesn't mean we have to like it though.

I second this smile

^exactly. When DVD first came out prices were just as high then and people were like " 30 buck for a movie? No way!". And now look at it. Prices come down one production goes up, but in order to do that you provide consumers with something you can't get, such as unique features

You forgot affordable players Justin wink

In regards to the where's the loyalty to your supporters claim: how is it any different then when studios release a movie on DVD, then months later a new edition with new features, then a few months later yet another new edition with new features or two minutes of unseen footage. It's the same principle really

Unique features? Ya ok. The only way I would ever buy a bluray is if two beautiful women from a movie stepped out of the film and into my bedroom. I can dream. lol

I like how this whole discussion started because of the lack of features on Trick r Treat, a movie that we are lucky is finally coming out at all, special features or no special features