Topic: Do you think horror is scary in color or black and white?

I would like to know.  Im trying to make a horror movie (with very small camera tongue )
And need to know which you think is more scary?

Re: Do you think horror is scary in color or black and white?

With Black and White you can hide a lot more.  Its really up to your own personal asthetic.    I personally perfer taking B&W shots of landscapes as it gives much more of a rich contrast and texture than color imo. 

If you make it in color you can still mute the colors.

Black And White Because It Makes It Seem Real.

black and white way to go, use tons of chocolate syrup for blood:)

I have to agree.  While not all movies look good in black and white.  If you look at some older horror movies like the original Night of the Living Dead, it looks perfect in black and white.  It is up to you and I guess it depends how you want to scare your audience.

colour is good for gore and stuff but black and white definately adds a creepiness to horror films. so i would say if its gonna be gory go colour if its very character based and more psycological go with black and white.

As long as it's well done I guess that color doesn't matter, right? Why don't try doing it like Sin City? B&W and just use color for the blood?

Yeah, Sin City had a great feel to it...

Last edited by ResidentEvilRising (2007-03-01 21:52:50)

Horror can be scary in black and white and in color.

Guess black and white wins.  Your right about Sin City I liked how it was filmed.  Thanks for you opinons they help alot. smile

If you want to try the Sin City effect, there's tons of tutorials on the web.

Yeah I agree Black & white can work great with a low budget just look at the original Night of the Living Dead.

Wasn't "Sin City" all shot on green screen first?

Yeah, it was. There's tons of tutorials explaining how to create your own green/blue screen and how to process the image and all that stuff.

I really think it comes down to the story.. If the black and white film suits the movie use it.. But in some cases I think it can be a burden.. I mean comercially of course.. Hardcore horror fans will dig it but you may have a hard time getting the casual horror fan involved.. You wouldn't believe some idiot fans out there..

It depends. I like B&W. But if you have lots of gore color would be best.