Topic: Should zombie movies be considered horror movies?

Should zombie movies be put in the same class as slasher, or other horror movies? Or are they in a seperate class all by themselves? I think that zombie movies are in a class by themselves. There should be a seperate section on just zombie movies alone.

Re: Should zombie movies be considered horror movies?

Zombie movies aren't in the slasher genre in my oppinion.

There are sub genres for all films but some are harder to determine than others, A lot of people wouldn't put "28 Days later" in the Zombie genre because the infected aren't really dead, some hardcore zombie fans hate Dawn of the Dead too for reasons I won't bore you with now, I myself think their zombie films and am not that picky when it comes to that.

My favorite sub genre is Sci Fi/ Horror though.

Last edited by goldenwarrior (2007-03-04 14:27:50)

I Consider 28 days later a zombie movie. It a excelent movie. It has that post apocalyptic zombie feel to it. I especially liked in the beginning when the guy was walking thru them empty streets of london. That scene set to tone of the movie for me. I love those last man on earth movies.

loneranger zombie wrote:

I Consider 28 days later a zombie movie. It a excelent movie. It has that post apocalyptic zombie feel to it. I especially liked in the beginning when the guy was walking thru them empty streets of london. That scene set to tone of the movie for me. I love those last man on earth movies.

What would you call Last Man on Earth besides a WPAM flick would you label it Vampire which it says on the DVD or a Zombie film?

I agree with you on 28 days later but some hardcore fans I have talked to disagree with me because the infected did not die and then reanimate, they can be so picky lol

Zombies definatly have their own well defined sub-genre. 

I don't consider 28 Days Later a zombie film, they were not eating people just smashing them to death.  I consider it a Apocalyptic Virus Film.

And Last Man on Earth...vampires.

thegoldensimatar wrote:

Zombies definatly have their own well defined sub-genre. 

I don't consider 28 Days Later a zombie film, they were not eating people just smashing them to death.  I consider it a Apocalyptic Virus Film.

And Last Man on Earth...vampires.

Thanks cool Golden lol thats a awesome name smile

I respect your oppinion but don't agree with it everyone has different views on genres if you enjoy WPAM movies there is a classic called "On the Beach" its a very old movie but its a great film and not really horror related.

Maybe a seperate "Undead" genre?

yeah I think they should have their own sub genre.

I think Day of the Dead 2 Contagium should have its own sub genre......... The that it sucked azzz sub genre.

I think the "Zombie Movie" is a sub-genre of horror. So yea, I would definitely consider a zombie movie a horror movie.

Thx warrior smile

Agreed with Resident.  Zombies, Vampires, Demons, Slashers, Ghosts, Werewolves....are all sub-generes of the horror genre.

Yes, zombies should be considered "horror". 

As to the 28 Days Later debate I'm not going to argue with the creators on this issue. 

I'll make a few points.  Despite the apocalyptic feel 28 Days Later share with the traditional zombie movie, the infected do not act like zombies.  Not at all.  They're too full of rage.  Too full of hate.  Traditional zombies don't act that way at all.  They're emotionless eating machines.  The only thing they share with traditional zombies is the tendency towards cannibalism at the expense of any other motivation.

They're in a separate class all by themselves. And it's one of my favorite kind of horror movies

I'm not a big fan of using sub-genres.  I know I have in the past, but I try not to.  Horror is horror.  To me, the living dead most definately classify as horror.

Should zombie movies be considered horror movies? HELL YA!!

Yeah of course they are! Zombie movies are horror movies.
I don't understand this thread. What else can zombies be, except classified as horror!

I think the question was what genre should zombie movies be in?  slashers or zombie?   There both sub genres so yes zombie movies are in the zombie genre lol no offense but its kind of obvious:)

Last edited by goldenwarrior (2007-03-05 00:23:28)

How would zombies be in slasher genre?

Thats a question for the Loneranger, I am curious as well.

That brings up a interesting quesion do you think Jason is part zombie because he was brought back from the dead?

I know he doesn't crave blood or flesh or anything like that.

Last edited by goldenwarrior (2007-03-05 02:47:54)

When I think of horror, one of the first things that pop up are zombies.

goldenwarrior wrote:

That brings up a interesting quesion do you think Jason is part zombie because he was brought back from the dead?

Well Freddy Kruger is dead, but he only comes to you in dreams. Where is there a writting rule that says a zombie has to be dead, or has to eat human flesh. Has there been any zombie movies before Night of the Living Dead 1968 where walking cadavers ate human flesh?

loneranger zombie wrote:
goldenwarrior wrote:

Well Freddy Kruger is dead, but he only comes to you in dreams. Where is there a writting rule that says a zombie has to be dead, or has to eat human flesh. Has there been any zombie movies before Night of the Living Dead 1968 where walking cadavers ate human flesh?

This was taken from webster dictionary, I hope it answers your question.

Fesddy isn't a Zombie in my oppinion, but this is a facinating debate, I love it!:)

If you want to learn more this book is a great read

http://www.randomhouse.com/crown/zombiesurvivalguide/

zom·bie also zom·bi ( P ) Pronunciation Key (zmb)
n. pl. zom·bies, also zom·bis
A snake god of voodoo cults in West Africa, Haiti, and the southern United States.

1) A supernatural power or spell that according to voodoo belief can enter into and reanimate a corpse.
1-A) A corpse revived in this way.
1-B) One who looks or behaves like an automaton.

2)A tall mixed drink made of various rums, liqueur, and fruit juice.

Last edited by goldenwarrior (2007-03-05 20:05:31)

#2 is sure a wickedly good drink tongue

yeah i think that they have their own sub genre just like slashers and ghost movies and all the different types, aahhhh the wide wonderful world of horror. It's a beautiful thing.