Topic: Inglorious Basterds

I did a search and find it hard to believe that there isn't a topic for this movie yet.  Anyway I went to see this yesterday and I liked it but I didn't love it.  I found the essential Quinten scenes to be even longer than his usual ones and I lost interest in them.  I think I'm just getting bored of his, now, trendy directing.  I watched the original after I got back from the theatre and I gotta say, I enjoyed it alot more than the re-make or should I say re-visioning.  These movies were nothing alike imo with the exception of a group of rogue soldiers that kill nazi's without worrying about the repercussions.  I think QT's take on it spent a little too much time invoilved with sidestories and not enough on the Basterds themselves.  Like i already said tho, I did enjoy it but not as much as I thought I would.

Re: Inglorious Basterds

i never heard of the movie what is it about?

i'll reserve judgement on "Inglorious Basterds" as i haven't seen it and i haven't seen "Jackie Brown" but the idol worship of this man completely eludes me. there is no denying his enthuisam for films and his knowledge, he is a movie Geek and good on him. Is he a great director? no in my opinon. i think he has made 1.5 decent films "Resevoir Dogs" and Kill Bill vol 1 but apart from that his films bore me and " Death Proof" is just self opionated Crap and one of the most boring films i have ever seen. To be honest i prefer him in his acting roles such as " From Dusk Til Dawn" and "Planet Terror". I live in hope he will come up with a good film perhaps in the horror genre or a spaghetti Western a genre he is a big fan of but i'm not holding my breath.:|

Although there is a good amount of blood in this film, it doesn't really qualify in the Horror or Horror sub genres. Maybe start a thread on the sister site www.MoviesOnline.ca

Dr., this is the Mainstream Movie forum.  It's all good.  smile

Here is my review from MO:

http://www.moviesonline.ca/movie_review … p?id=13742

I think Tarantino is an amazing writer and director. I haven't disliked a single one of his films for various reasons. Though I did think Kill Bill vol 2 was a weak ending to a superb first half.

Jackie Brown is by far my favourite film of his, but Inglorious Basterds is a CLOSE second. Every single scene is stretched to the breaking point of tension with nothing more than the camera and dialogue. Fascinating stuff. Like the scene in True Romance between Walken and Hopper.

I laughed outloud more times in this movie than I did in any straight comedy I've seen this year and and the opening scene in the movie is one of the best things Tarantino has created. Which, if you're not a fan, doesn't mean much, but if you are a fan, you know it's awesome.

So yeah, Basterds is the best movie I've seen this year so far.

Last edited by N2NOther (2009-08-23 15:50:12)

moviemaven wrote:

Completely agree with your review. Though I found Myers to be his usually annoying, untalented self. Thankfully his scene is extremely brief.

moviemaven wrote:

Sorry. My bad.

I loved this film, and think it's one of the best he's done. I absolutly loved it. I think this film deserves a lot of appreciation!:D:D:D

It was no one's bad.  LOL  I was just pointing it out.  Not everyone realizes we have a place to discuss the regular stuff.  And it came up earlier today as well so this was an excellent time to illustrate my point about mainstream reviews.  smile

If you read this, Creature, this is what I was referring to in your thread.  You can write your mainstream reviews over there and link them in the Mainstream Movies forum here.  smile

N2NOther, thanks for the read.  I agree with me as well. lol neutral smile

cool, thanks for the tip Maven!:)

I saw it on Saturday and I wasn't really impressed. It was good but it was nothing special.

I didn't post at moviesonline.ca because I don't go there.  I just thot it odd that no one posted on this site about it is all.

You couldn't right now anyway. The forums are down at MO for updates.  wink  lol

Glenn-Bob, I think he just didn't realize that we had a Mainstream forum here.   I was honestly surprised to see no one had posted about it myself considering the buzz around it.  I was going to start one so I could link my review when I came across this one.  So thanks for being the one to get it going.  smile

I might be seeing this in the next few days. Looked good.

I'm hoping to see both H2 & Basterds next weekend if I can convince someone to tag along.

I'm running out of money, booze and blow though, so that could prove challenging lol tongue

I liked it. It's not QT's best, but it was decent and entertaining. Very good acting throughout. A bit long, but it entertained me. "Pulp Fiction" is still his best flick.

Inglorious Basterds was absolutely great. I though that the dialog scenes were too long, but at least the dialog was good. Other then the extremely long dialog scenes, I thought the movie was fantastic. I had such a great time in the theature watching this. I though the acting and the action was spot on. And I also loved the spaghetti western side of it too. A very cool movie, and one of the best of this year in my opinion.