Re: Last Days for BluRay Player Contest

Good Point Dr. But like me... I have trouble making my reviews over a paragraph or two at the best of times, let alone contain good content lol

Re: Last Days for BluRay Player Contest

^^ I agree with this. That's why reviewing Nosferatu pained me so damn much lol I think I spend 4 hours last night trying to get the damn thing right, hopefully that will be the case. But this I do agree with Doc smile

Re: Last Days for BluRay Player Contest

Doctor_Pepper wrote:

I'm not in the running, nor even trying to win this contest. However I need to mention something.... Sure there have been a flood of reviews lately, but the quality of those reviews is suffering dearly. I won't point out names or specifics, but I have read several dozen reviews and a good chunk of them are little over a paragraph and have virtually nothing to even to with the film other than people saying they watched it and love the fact that so and so was in it. I'm not one to tell you how to run things, I know it is not my place, but for the integrity of the website and the reviews some quality standards need to be kept. People are obviously just writing up 10 minute reviews and sending them to you for toe tags in hopes to win this contest. This post is actually longer or of equal length to a few of the "reviews" I just read. Can we try and keep the reviews from turning into just another comment section? If you're going to review a film, spend some time and effort reviewing it. Whether it is a 1 or a 10, it deserves proper explanation as to why you are giving it that score. Keep the quality of this site intact. If it doesn't have the who, what, when, where, why it isn't journalism. If it isn't journalism, it can't REALLY be considered a proper review. If it isn't a proper review, it is just a comment like this one. Deserving of a single toe tag. Hell, give all my toe tags to the person who writes a full length review. I'd rather see the dignity, quality, and substance of this site remain that ruin it for a prize.  Just my opinion, and like I said I do not intend to insult anyone in particular or point and name call. But if you love this site, treat it with respect. Don't bastardize or diminish the quality of reviews just to win a silly contest. Thanks to those who read this and again, this is just something I am noticing in my brief time here.

I kind of agree with you. I don't think people should write reviews just to get toe tags. But, I for one hate reviews that are really really long. Four to Five paragraphs is the perfect lenght in my opinion. The reviews that ramble on and on are very annoying and I'm pretty sure no one reads the whole thing.

Re: Last Days for BluRay Player Contest

pR1m3vil wrote:

Good Point Dr. But like me... I have trouble making my reviews over a paragraph or two at the best of times, let alone contain good content lol

You do put heart into though and give reasons pR1m, so hush silly one, your reviews are fine smile

Re: Last Days for BluRay Player Contest

I definitely suffer from being overly verbose at times and am the first to admit it. I just want to see the quality and standards remain high here and not have a bunch of sloppy reviews submitted in hopes of winning something. I like this site, it has potential and keeps an integrity and quality of standards. I just want to see it remain that way. Like I said, just something to keep in mind. I'm done ranting.... unfortunately work wants me to actually work today. Bastards! haha.

Re: Last Days for BluRay Player Contest

One thing and sorry to you Sussy hun, I would never do is put my reviews short or tone them to 4 and 5 paragraphs, it's no one's issue but I love writing. Those who do not want to read them do not need to but I'd never compromise my love for writing by toning down, if a movie really gets to me I will always state why, therefore why my reviews will always be rather long in the tooth.

No offense intended to anyone smile

Last edited by BlackTequilaKiss (2009-09-01 12:35:20)

Re: Last Days for BluRay Player Contest

^^  I do not think so. they are the same. except for those 1 paragraph or less.

Re: Last Days for BluRay Player Contest

i wish the runner up prize was a DVD I do not listen to music so a soundtrack will not do me much use ( unless its Metal music)

Re: Last Days for BluRay Player Contest

Thing don't work out like that. And quite frankly I am impressed that Meh is giving away a blu-ray player given how much it will cost him to send etc. He's pretty stand up for doing all this in the first place smile

Re: Last Days for BluRay Player Contest

BlackTequilaKiss wrote:

One thing and sorry to you Sussy hun, I would never do is put my reviews short or tone them to 4 and 5 paragraphs, it's no one's issue but I love writing. Those who do not want to read them do not need to but I'd never compromise my love for writing by toning down, if a movie really gets to me I will always state why, therefore why my reviews will always be rather long in the tooth.

No offense intended to anyone smile

No offense, but that is why I don't read your reviews.

I enjoy reading Garden's reviews the most because they are straight to the point and there not filled with a bunch BS.

Re: Last Days for BluRay Player Contest

Suspiria_89 wrote:
BlackTequilaKiss wrote:

One thing and sorry to you Sussy hun, I would never do is put my reviews short or tone them to 4 and 5 paragraphs, it's no one's issue but I love writing. Those who do not want to read them do not need to but I'd never compromise my love for writing by toning down, if a movie really gets to me I will always state why, therefore why my reviews will always be rather long in the tooth.

No offense intended to anyone :)

No offense, but that is why I don't read your reviews.

I enjoy reading Garden's reviews the most because they are straight to the point and there not filled with a bunch BS.

I've gotta agree with Sus here. BTK, to me it just seems like your reviews are unnecessarily long-winded. From reading a few of your reviews, it seems like you would do a lot better in an actual conversation about whatever movie, because in a conversation, reiteration an digression is accepted, if not encouraged, whereas in a review, it just makes it overlong.

If I were so inclined to have a conversation with someone on here about the artistic elements of a said horror film, or the nuts and bolts of creating a vivid atmosphere for a film, or any number of other things, I would probably go talk to you, but if I'm looking to read a review, I'll probably go elsewhere because from the few reviews of yours I've read, it's just too expository for my taste.

Re: Last Days for BluRay Player Contest

Fair enough smile but I won't change who I am. And I do not expect everyone to read my reviews, everyone has personal favourite reviewers and that's understandable.

I'll always read other reviews, everyone's on here actually lol I am not too picky. But EBK, I understand your reasons as do I understand Sussy's and that's fair in my book. But thank you for being kind and honest, I appreciate that.

63

Re: Last Days for BluRay Player Contest

everyone write their reviews differently and as much as somebody will hate my reviews and like BTKS its all about the community. Thats the nice part of allowing reader reviews. Everyone can get what they want.

That said this contest closes at Midnight EST and I still have a ton of stuff to approve.

Re: Last Days for BluRay Player Contest

I do what I can. I wasn't trying to knock you or anything, just saying that it would be more fulfilling to have an actual conversation. But hey, to each their own.

65

Re: Last Days for BluRay Player Contest

im pretty sure BTK took your comments as they were intended Killer and not as anything offensive smile

Re: Last Days for BluRay Player Contest

Trust me I wouldn't mind the conversation part wink but with me it always seem to start too rattle off into Buffy land lol if you can handle that, then be my guest smile and I know you weren't EBK, so no worries.

With any other site the criticism, let's say was less constructive just going on at someone for the sake of it.

This is what I love about HM we can be critical but in a kind manner and help the others as opposed to just saying, 'you suck'. This is why HM rules wink

Re: Last Days for BluRay Player Contest

Oh man, I guess I'm gonna have to brush up on all my buffy knowledge then. I used to watch that show religiously.

BTW, you suck... tongue

Re: Last Days for BluRay Player Contest

I just knew that one was coming lol:lol::lol::lol:

You suck tongue

Re: Last Days for BluRay Player Contest

That I do winklol

Re: Last Days for BluRay Player Contest

only when she gets the chance lol

Re: Last Days for BluRay Player Contest

BlackTequilaKiss wrote:

That I do winklol

True story. I saw it happen once...

Then I woke up all sticky-like... lol:lol::lol:

Re: Last Days for BluRay Player Contest

lol you cheeky thing Pups! tongue

And thanks for the PM hun wink, **still giddy**

Re: Last Days for BluRay Player Contest

hee hee thought you'd get a kick out of it wink

Re: Last Days for BluRay Player Contest

^^^  Perverts!  All of you!  Including me!  Wait....  oops.  I hope no one is offended by my reviews; I do tend to ramble on a bit, but I try to include a fair portion of the movie and background without spoiling the movie.  Well, unless you read the spoilers.  But that is your.  tongue

I'm biased since I prefer to have a bit more in depth review than just a short bit about how you (the royal you) liked it. I disagree with people who dislike BTK's reviews- it gives some flavor to the review about how she approached it.  I'm not saying that those who do not like her reviews are wrong, just that I like her style, which is sort of like mine.  If I may impose BTK, I believe that we (along with a whole, whole bunch of others) are an acquired taste.

But I agree with Dr.P about the really short reviews  It did irk me that some people bragged about cranking out X number of reviews in the time I would do 1, but I realize that not all people like to write.  As Meh has said before, the goal of this site is to be a comprehensive info/review site for horror, not just a game show to win prizes.

Anyway, I don't mean to upset anyone, I think you are all great.  Except <Macho>.  He's just evil.

Re: Last Days for BluRay Player Contest

And you suck tongue