Topic: DON'T Give Away Movie Details In Your Reviews!

Althought I had already seen the film Trick r Treat, I must say the recent email that highlighted LoudLon's review of it completely surprised me by all the spoilers! It's too bad because I'm sure it's ruined it for some of you who haven't seen it. (the girls storyline really surprised me but LoudLon totally gave it away) At least he could've given a warning of "spoilers ahead" and the moderators of this site should've taken that into consideration as well. This isn't the first time I've seen this happen so I hope you take that into consideration when writing your review and "moderators/editors" PLEASE don't send emails out without first checking them!

Re: DON'T Give Away Movie Details In Your Reviews!

I agree, I don't read a lot of reviews on here because I don't want anything to be ruined.  A lot of people say it's hard to write a review spoiler free but I think that's nonsense.

no moderator or staff member will EVER email you unless your in troble. If they do let me know and I will talk to them. If you are reading the site i do agree a spoiler alert would be nice. I have had a few films ruined by a review but its never done intentional i am sure.

If I am putting a real spoiler, more often than not I tend to say beforehand so others known. I am guilty of sometimes forgetting but I try to make them spoiler free, however in the case of older films I tend not to so much as it seems reasonable to assume most know the general plot of the older more well versed movies. But for the new ones I do try to be spoiler free, if I ever forget I apologise but I am only human or so I have been told tonguelol

i myself try not to put in spoilers but i notice those who do for the most part warn first. But in fairness shit happens. We all forget and it doesnt make anyone a bad person.

Meh wrote:

no moderator or staff member will EVER email you unless your in troble.

Hey, wait a minute.  What about flirting and sexually harassing?  Do you mean I'm not supposed to email people to hit on them?  wink

moviemaven wrote:
Meh wrote:

Hey, wait a minute.  What about flirting and sexually harassing?  Do you mean I'm not supposed to email people to hit on them?  wink

Pretty sure that would be acceptable lol how could anyone resist certain wily charms? wink

Sweet.  Expect an email from me soon.  smile

Tart tongue

I hate spoilers, but If I ever have one in my review I always put *CONTAINS SPOILERS*

<INSERT MACHO NAME HERE> wrote:

Tart tongue

Duh. tongue

but a very sweet on though xxxx

Awww a SweetTart.  wink  One of my favorite candies. 

xoxo

Spoilers don't bother me. But yes, a "SPOILERS AHEAD" sign would be thoughful.

First time I've done that in a review, and I apologize.  I don't normally do that, and if you go back and read other reviews I've posted you'll see that.

As a side note, though, it's not like the flick's good enough to be ruined further by a couple spoilers.;)

Pfft, way to go, Lon.

moviemaven wrote:
Meh wrote:

Dang.. that's way my box is so full.  tongue

I agree with Meh, stuff happends, but reviewers should try for "spoiler free" reviews or at least give ample warning. 

-deadmanwalkin

If I'm gonna reveal major plot details in my reviews I will put a spoiler warning at the beginning.

JoeTerror wrote:

Althought I had already seen the film Trick r Treat, I must say the recent email that highlighted LoudLon's review of it completely surprised me by all the spoilers! It's too bad because I'm sure it's ruined it for some of you who haven't seen it. (the girls storyline really surprised me but LoudLon totally gave it away) At least he could've given a warning of "spoilers ahead" and the moderators of this site should've taken that into consideration as well. This isn't the first time I've seen this happen so I hope you take that into consideration when writing your review and "moderators/editors" PLEASE don't send emails out without first checking them!

After first reading this, my response was to roll with it, as I did in my above post.  It was a slip on my part, I admit it.  But the second time I read this, I realized I was pissed off.

This is why:

If you have an issue with reviewers leaving out spoiler warnings, by all means, address them all at once, in general, in full view of the forum in an open thread.  That's perfectly acceptable.

If you have an issue with a reviewer in specific, try to show a little tact and email or PM that person before you go blowing your whistle on them, and especially before you go calling them out in public. 

Had you messaged me about this subject, I would have happily asked Meh or Goon to take down the review, I would have rewritten it not to include spoilers or I would have just said hell with it, delete it, because I didn't like the flick anyway. 

It's only courteous to go to the person first.  Do that next time, especially if it pertains to me, because I don't take kindly to people pulling my pants down in public.

deadmanwalkin wrote:
moviemaven wrote:
Meh wrote:

Dang.. that's way my box is so full.  tongue
-deadmanwalkin

Wish mine wa.....yeah you know where this is going.

LoudLon wrote:
JoeTerror wrote:

After first reading this, my response was to roll with it, as I did in my above post.  It was a slip on my part, I admit it.  But the second time I read this, I realized I was pissed off.

This is why:

If you have an issue with reviewers leaving out spoiler warnings, by all means, address them all at once, in general, in full view of the forum in an open thread.  That's perfectly acceptable.

If you have an issue with a reviewer in specific, try to show a little tact and email or PM that person before you go blowing your whistle on them, and especially before you go calling them out in public. 

Had you messaged me about this subject, I would have happily asked Meh or Goon to take down the review, I would have rewritten it not to include spoilers or I would have just said hell with it, delete it, because I didn't like the flick anyway. 

It's only courteous to go to the person first.  Do that next time, especially if it pertains to me, because I don't take kindly to people pulling my pants down in public.

Amen.

I remeber when Goon made that thread about my Final Destination review. All he had to do is PM me. But instead he wanted to point it out in public. It was without a doubt the most disrespectful thing that has happened to me on this site.

LoudLon wrote:

I don't take kindly to people pulling my pants down in public.

Well there go my vacation plans.  wink

Sorry to make light, Lon.  The truth is agree.  This situation would have been better handled either as a "general announcement" or on a personal level in a PM.  It really wasn't necessary to use anyone's name.  But, I also know that you are a perfectly rational person who can take such things in stride (even if you don't like TrT...for SHAME).

I'm going to start a bunch of threads blaming Lon for various events in history.

Damn Lon causing the Great Depression!  What rock 'n' roll guts you have!

I used to put spoilers but then I got bored of ruining some great plot points.  The only time I'll put a spoiler is for an older movie and even then I don't always.  Like last night I reviewed Night of the Living Dead and left out what happens at the end.  People need to see that movie though and I'm sure a lot of the younger people on here haven't

I never read reviews or even go into threads for movies that I haven't seen anymore because somebody is likely to spoil something about them if you're on the internet.