Topic: Captivity Ads Cause Uproar

This was big news yesterday and all the sites outside of the horror community jumped on it like jack rabbits. Apparently some ads for Capitivity were sent out accidentally by After Dark Films and Lionsgate. They were not approved but somehow got onto...

Read More : Captivity Ads Cause Uproar

Re: Captivity Ads Cause Uproar

I don't think they're that bad. I was expecting to see something really graphic, but apart from the last two on the right they're not controversial really. It's hard to see what's in those last two pictures of this Captivity poster though. I could just about see what was in the last two pictures of the poster, and I wear glasses.

Last edited by WaveCrest (2007-03-21 17:09:34)

Well, you know how parents choose hiding stuff from their children insted of explaining it to them. I don't care really how much they complain, a kid can watch the news and find out about more horrible stuff.

That billboard makes me want to see this film even more. Probably now that these &%$#*^$ moms made them tear it down, that billboard is going to get more publicity because of it, so their little plan just backfired on them. hahaha

Oh, come on!  That billboard is nothing!  Stop bitching and just shade your eyes.  Like Demon said, this probably just added to the buzz for "Captivity".  A film that I want to see even more now.

I totally agree with Tim. This ad was suprisingly tame to me...I don't see why people aren;t complaining about the Hostel II ads? Their kids can get on the internet and see them...might as well shut down the internet while we're at it.

I personally CANNOT WAIT to see this film.

Probably the guys behind Captivity are happy that the posters were taken down, now the kids are gonna watch that movie to see what's the whole arguement about.

I've seen worse then that..and I'am a mom if Raven was older to understand she'd laugh at it..lol

It's a kool pic though..

Last edited by RaVeN71806 (2007-03-22 08:36:05)

But you would probably explain everything to Raven so she wouldn't freak out, right? Not a lot of people explain things to their children and would rather have a teacher from school explain to them.

ooh yeah Raven watches horror movies now grant she has no clue yet as to whats going on but when she gets older enough to understand it then I will tell her its all fake and that theres nothing to be scared of some of the graphic movies I won't let her watch until shes older like for example the exorcist or the devils rejects..I'm not gonna hid my kid away from those things..I would never let any else besides me explain things to my child I'm the parent not them..;)

Too bad not all parents are like you.

first off thank you very much I appreciate that Kruz I hope I do right by my daughter I just don't want her to be afraid of everything I want her to be tough but not to tough get my point..and the second is I think the reason as the way I'am with my daughter is because of working in the school district here I see alot of parents that just don't give a shit about there kids and its a really sad thing..

Come on guys (and gals),

I really don't think we are the best people to judge whether they are tame or not.  How many of us have said that Cannibal Holocaust is on our favourite film lists.

I think they are pretty tame compared to other things I have seen.  However I chose to watch them.  The point is that these are billboards on the street that people have no control over and I think we have to consider everyone in society - including the kids.  Even with the news that has been brought up as being more violent than this is still a choice because parents are supposed to have control over the TV (like that ever really happens).

If it was a mistake or a publicity stunt, I don't know.  All I know is that as a horror fan who loves Cannibal Holocaust, I fully support the public billboards being taken down.  I have no right to force parents to have to explain adult ideas and scary pictures until they see fit.

ok, let the flaming begin..... now smile

Well, I also think that those parents don't have any right to force any studio to take down publicity already paid for just because they want their kids ignorant.

You made a good point there Kevin. Not too many horror fans would get offended by it but maybe the non horror fans might be offended.
But still, all they really had to do was explain to their children it's only a movie billboard and leave it at that.

So, what?  They get offended by this giant billboard, run inside, turn on the TV, and see the "Captivity" TV spot?  Even the internet is full of movie ads.  Honestly, I think people just need to get over it.  You don't like it, don't look at it.  That's just my opinion.

TiM the Zombie wrote:

So, what?  They get offended by this giant billboard, run inside, turn on the TV, and see the "Captivity" TV spot?  Even the internet is full of movie ads.  Honestly, I think people just need to get over it.  You don't like it, don't look at it.  That's just my opinion.

I understand what you are saying Tim but parents have no one else to blame if they allow their children to watch TV or the internet unmonitored.  And the shows and sites of parents that are worried about this I assume wouldn't be the target for an ad campaign for this film.  What I don't think is fair are the comments I'm reading about people having to change where they can go in public with their kids because of a MISTAKE by an ad company.

Remember that it was a mistake.  Both production companies have released statements that it was an error on the printing company and that they didn't intend these images to be out in a public place where kids could see (so it didn't cost them money).  Even if this was a publicity stunt, then they budgeted for the posters to be removed so they are not losing money on this.

I also understand that everyone has different ideas on how to raise kids and how to deal with them understanding what is what in the world.  I don't have kids yet but when I do, I hope that I will be given the chance to decide when they are ready to share my love for horror movies.  I don't want this taken from me and possibly turning them off of movies because of a trauma that may have happened beyond my control.

So, all I suggest is that we don't get into that "screw them" attitude and try to think what it might be like for others.

Live and let live only works if you don't shove your ideals into the face of the other person.

ok how about this you can get anything you want over the internet you also have advertisments for alcohol and half naked men and women on billboards now those things our real also how about the war they show soldiers being carried out either badly wounded or better yet dead or how about  9/11 when they showed people jumping out the windows or how about when the planes hit the buildings..I don't know call me crazy but I sure as hell find that real and more controversal then a fake ass horror movie billboard..

If they feel the need to complain about every mistake that happens, that's their own problem.  I just can't believe that people have to change where they go to avoid a banner.  That just seems ridiculous.  It's their choice.  We're not forcing them too.  If they blame it on a giant piece of cardboard, then once again, it's their problem.

Mistake or not, it shouldn't matter.  The billboard is up.  Shit happens.  Everybody makes mistakes, and if you can't see that, then tough.  (I'm not talking directly to you, Kevin)

It's not really the matter of raising your kids.  It's being so paranoid about a big picture, that you have to change your daily habits.  Ridiculous, IMO.

Like Raven was saying, why not complain about the million other billboards that are up?  Like the ones for strip clubs, alcohol, and cigarettes?  I've seen some with like a dozen half naked men, for some club down in Vegas.  Why they chose to complain about a fictional film?  I haven't a clue.

i love horror but i dont want my kid seeing this ad. So i can see what the uproar is about.

RaVeN71806 wrote:

ok how about this you can get anything you want over the internet you also have advertisments for alcohol and half naked men and women on billboards now those things our real also how about the war they show soldiers being carried out either badly wounded or better yet dead or how about  9/11 when they showed people jumping out the windows or how about when the planes hit the buildings..I don't know call me crazy but I sure as hell find that real and more controversal then a fake ass horror movie billboard..

I totally agree with you - our news should come with a disclaimer for graphic violence.  You are also right that the people that may be complaining also don't check to see what their kids are watching on TV or can download from the internet.  But there are people out there who are trying their best to let the kids still be kids.  Why not give them a chance?

I have a friend and she is a kindergarder teacher.  The stories she tells me about the 5 and 6 year olds are amazing.  Some kids have mouths on them that would make a sailor blush and are already imitating sexual situations though they don't really know what they mean.  One kid even said that they saw the hanging of Saddam Huisain!  As far as I am concerned (and is just my opinion), this is child abuse or at least neglect.

People hide behind that reshowing horrific events on TV is okay because it is "reality".  I don't have all the answers but I can say that I totally respect any parent who is trying to give their kids a childhood.

hey I see it everyday myself I work with the public everyday and its parents and students I deal withknow whats out there I know how it works..I have to honestly say I see nothing wrong with this billboard I'm come on The Hostel II poster or better The Hills Have Eyes poster were more graphic then this..you have a guy dragging a corpses across the sand..My daughter will be raised right and if one day see shes something that she has questions for then I will answer her but I'm not gonna hide something that is fake from her..its not like shes gonna jump out of the car and go homicidal on everybody from seeing a billboard..people just look to bitch about something and this is what they picked next week it will be about something different..

RaVeN71806 wrote:

people just look to bitch about something and this is what they picked next week it will be about something different..

I couldn't agree more.