Ok lets start a fresh topic here.

Who is going to see it tonight at midnight? Or at least opening weekend??
What are your thoughts going in??
Whats your level of excitement for the film??
Do you think this will change the face of cinema?? (Not fucking likely cool )
Any other thoughts??

big_smile  I have plans to see it this weekend !

MistressOf Horror wrote:

big_smile  I have plans to see it this weekend !

Hope you have secured yourself a ticket. It's preaty much selling out or already sold out in a lot of markets.

nope..  damn !

From everything I seen it doesn’t look any better then "Final fantasy spirits within" which was a great if underrated CGI film.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnE64DbnUzY[/youtube]

Last edited by swollenguy (2009-12-17 14:02:37)

robertthunder wrote:

Who is going to see it tonight at midnight? Or at least opening weekend??
What are your thoughts going in??
Whats your level of excitement for the film??
Do you think this will change the face of cinema?? (Not fucking likely cool )
Any other thoughts??

No plans to see it, might rent it when it comes out. Not sure my thoughts on the film yet since I try to keep opinion open until I have watched a film.

And my excitement for the film has been dampened a lot recently. Originally I was interested in this film but the endless trailers on TV, the overhype has put me off the movie so badly. Any interest I had as dropped hence why I can wait until it ends up in rental stores.

swollenguy wrote:

From everything I seen it doesn’t look any better then "Final fantasy spirits within" which was a great if underrated CGI film.

I do think it looks better than FF
They say don't mind the trailers because thats not even a teaser of the greatness of this movie. I do think it is massively overhyped at this point though. Although Dark Knight was also and that fucking blew my mind (although I am a massive Batman fan and have been since the age of 2)!!!

i think it looks boring.  The acting looks uninspired, the action looks amateur...I hope it's good for all the money they spent on it but if I see this, it's because I'm dragged to see it

Gardenofstone10 wrote:

i think it looks boring.  The acting looks uninspired, the action looks amateur...I hope it's good for all the money they spent on it but if I see this, it's because I'm dragged to see it

Werd, Garden.  I'm sure this will be a big hit. But it's a little too 12 yr old sci-fi boy for moi.

The plot sounds interesting. But it looks like it has WAY to much CGI.

swollenguy wrote:

I loved Final Fantasy  but they could have used some other story instead of that GIA crap but I loved the monster animation.

Read a review somewhere (sorry, can't remember) that says Avatar is long, slow to start, but totally worth the wait to get to the end.  Apparently, it's also nearly 3 hours long, which means I won't be going to see it.  I have limited patience for morons at movie theaters.

I have the patience level of dirt.....the longer the movie the better.....as long as the story never drags on.  I'm starting to like the sound of this movie because it's being hyped by all walks of life and although I don't usually listen to critics....when they say something is bad it's usually good....if they say something is good....it's probably amazing

^^^ Oh, I like a long movie, just in the pleasant confines of my home.

Understandable...I dont go to the theater that often, though so yeah.  Lord of the Rings was fine, I was the only one who didn't get up to go to the bathroom at some point.  Also, Funny People was a bit of a longer one.  Other than that, I just wait for home video.

Godzilla_Rules wrote:
swollenguy wrote:

I loved Final Fantasy  but they could have used some other story instead of that GIA crap but I loved the monster animation.

I liked Advent Children better.

I like Star Wars better, lol

**More spoiler free than the trailer thats for sure!!)**

Not until tonight did I find out Avatar was spelled "Dances with Apocalypto". Now I'm a big Cameron fan; and when I see a Cameron film I'm expecting that little something more. Aside from the spectacular CG (which wiped the slate clean and started a whole new game) there was nothing there. The story has been done to death before, acting was OK but nothing special and the sound...poor for a Cameron film!
I could go on all day about the look and directing of the film, but that's not enough to qualify this as the greatest thing to hit celluloid in 30 years (as some critics make it out to be). I went in very excited and came out just not being fully wowed. Granted I did see Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus right before the film at its screening and with the wonderful array of character development and acting I think left me even more upset with the lack of detailed characters and stellar acting.
I do say see it; IMAX3D if you can, but don't expect this holy grail of a film. CG is revolutionary, directing is great (It's Cameron!!) but that's where it ends. I'll end it there until everyone sees it. Fell free to poor in the comments I'm dying to hear what everyone thinks.

Last edited by robertthunder (2009-12-18 05:39:52)

I watched the trailer of it.Trailer is good.I have no plans to watch it  yet.

I won't be seeing Avatar in theatures but I will rent it once it comes out. The film doesn't look like It'd be up my alley, but because Cameron is directing it, I will check it out.

already got my tickets for the 3D showing.. this movie will be good, I don't mind the CG as long as the animation is convincing.  cool

Last edited by segaton (2009-12-18 08:44:23)

I like furries. In blue.  Is Cameron telling us something?

The Creature wrote:

I won't be seeing Avatar in theatures but I will rent it once it comes out. The film doesn't look like It'd be up my alley, but because Cameron is directing it, I will check it out.

Creature do yourself a favor and go see it on the big screen. The effects are well worth it but the storyline is absolute garbage. Once it's released on dvd and doesn't have all of the cool 3D support it is going to suck hardcore.

Cameron is a tremendous visionary with incredible attention to details when it comes to the visuals but his scripts are worse than garbage. If he took his script and let someone with a bit of talent for writing go over it Avatar could have been great. The problem is that the only refreshing and new thing that it brings to the table are the visuals.

The story is as unoriginal and cliché riddled as they come. The character development and acting are mediocre at best. Really the whole story is nothing more than an excuse for him to show off his beloved effects and it's very obvious. For heavens sake the mineral that the big bad humans are after is called Unobtainium... a 6 year old could have named it better.

Overall it's not as horrible as I make it out to be but to enjoy it on any level you really have to see it in theaters with all of the 3D effects in their glory.

Last edited by bentheprop (2009-12-25 09:55:20)

bentheprop wrote:

Creature do yourself a favor and go see it on the big screen. The effects are well worth it but the storyline is absolute garbage. Once it's released on dvd and doesn't have all of the cool 3D support it is going to suck hardcore...

That's the problem- I'm not really willing to spend money on a bunch of FX.  2 years from now the FX will be better, and maybe someone can even put together a decent story.

i saw it in 2d since the 3d screening was sold out and frankly I think it was WAY WAY over rated.