Topic: Sherlock Holmes, mixed reviews.

They loved the film at twitchfilm and not so much at aintitcool. For most reviews, The strong point seems to be the banter and friendly antagonism between Holmes and Watson. In another review that banter was considered not so good, another Lethal Weapon II they called it. Ugh. I think the most cogent criticism i've read is that the film starts out great but by the end it falls into an all too predictable action film, complete with saving the city from a victorian age weapon of mass destructiion as the clock ticks... I'm wavering on whether I want to trek out of the mountains to spend my dough at the theater for this. There is no doubt I'll catch it on ppv in a couple of months though.

Re: Sherlock Holmes, mixed reviews.

I plan on seeing Christmas day.

I think it would've been interesting if they went w/ the gay undertones between Holmes and Watson like originally intended or rumored.

From what I've read, it sounds like they may have, one of the underpinnings of the plot is Watson becoming engaged and Holmes trying to dissuade him because he fears losing his companionship.

fredgarvin wrote:

From what I've read, it sounds like they may have, one of the underpinnings of the plot is Watson becoming engaged and Holmes trying to dissuade him because he fears losing his companionship.

Oh snap! ... Good. Gives the story a bit more complexity. Right on.

sounds good

That's what puts me off going to see it. I have seen the trailer quite a bit and at the beginning it seems to show promise but when Sherlock (in the trailer) suddenly goes Rambo, I found it to be off putting. I might rent this but I'm not keen to venture to the cinema to see this. Might be good, might not but given the mixture of reviews I'll wait a while.

Finally got around to watching the trailer, it changed my mind, oh yes I am going to see this film. Who directs it?

^^ Directed by Guy Richie hun smile

He also directed: RockNRolla, Revolver, Snatch and Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels.

There was a long line inside the theater to see it.
Just waiting for it to start.

heres another review. I plan to see it to.
http://www.moviesonline.ca/movie_review … p?id=14050

IT turned out to be a very good movie.

It wasn't a bad movie, I liked it! But I'm also a Guy Ritchie fan, it didn't feel like his other films but Robert Downey makes the movie for sure! I'd recommend checking it out!

I don't know.....Sherlock Holmes doesn't seem like Sherlock Holmes in the trailer. hmm

He wears a gay looking hat. lol

Hey fred do ya really tnk sherlock could find the answer to the age old ? of who stole his nuts.. if there mixed he probably will have a bunch of interacial kiddies hobblinaround and killing people for the inner of the reality of his being and he will have to move to another town...

DemonToSome wrote:

Hey fred do ya really tnk sherlock could find the answer to the age old ? of who stole his nuts.. if there mixed he probably will have a bunch of interacial kiddies hobblinaround and killing people for the inner of the reality of his being and he will have to move to another town...

I wish you would confine this to the drunken thread.  Well, maybe  not, since I can insult you on a minute by minute basis and you never catch it!

Monkey power!

http://mediaslap.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/cymbal-monkey.jpg

I caught it and I dont take take your insults so you can shove em up your fuckin monkey ass!

Stoopid Monkey!

The thing about Sherlock Holmes is that while most are familiar with him only through the old Basil Rathbone films, they've never actually read a Holmes story.  In the movies he's a bit of a dainty; smart as a whip but kind of a wallflower.  In the original Holmes stories by Arthur Conan Doyle, however, Doyle often cited Holmes' proficiency in hand to hand combat, as well as his obsessions.  For all intents and purposes, Holmes was basically Batman before anyone even thought of Batman -- a bad-ass, wealthy master detective with a sidekick.

Incidentally, the Fox show House is inspired by Sherlock Holmes (Holmes = Homes = House), including his insanely keen diagnostic abilities, his sidekick Wilson (Watson) and his addiction (to pain pills).

I thought it was good. A little boring at points and it feels like a long two hours that's for sure. Some good humor and banter with Holmes/Watson.

One question for those who have seen it: am I the only one who found Downey Jrs accent distracting?  Something about it put me off a little

I saw it on Christmas day and had an absolute blast. They took a part of Holmes' character from the books - the part which resulted in another man being taken away on a cart while Holmes himself sustained naught but a black eye - and emphasized it, put him in situations for which he'd need to use his physical prowess. Watson was straight from the book, and the heart of the movie comes from Jude Law and Robert Downey Jr.'s chemistry together. Biggest liberty they took was with the Irene Adler character, as Holmes never had anything sexual for her (at least not on the surface that could be observed by Watson).

All in all I found it an interesting take on the Holmes character, and a very fun movie to watch, even if some of the fights and the climax did seem a trifle Bond-ish. I hope Ritchie makes a dozen more sequels. big_smile

jmh314 wrote:

One question for those who have seen it: am I the only one who found Downey Jrs accent distracting?  Something about it put me off a little

I'll be honest, I found it a bit mumbly sometimes. But then, I found him a bit mumbly in Tropic Thunder, too. Might just be the gruffness of his voice.

Last edited by Bob The Zombie (2009-12-29 21:51:02)