Topic: Any movies that NEED a remake?

Sure, everyone is sick of remakes and we all have our favs that we hope Hollywood producers keep their grimy mits off, but what about ones that NEED a remake. I'd say Carpenter's The Thing was a much improved remake over the original. Partial to Scorsese's Cape Fear over Thompson's original. Sometimes a remake works.

Anyone up for a remake of Mr. Sardonicus?

Re: Any movies that NEED a remake?

Rawhead Rex.. While I have never seen the movie, I have heard it was shit. I loved the short story by Clive Barker it is a really vile story and if it was done right it could be one kick ass movie...

Rawhead Rex was indeed shit, That is one i've always been meaning to review but never got around to doing. True the story was good but the movie was shit, Somebody does need to remake it.

The Driller Killer could be pretty fantastic if it got a remake. As it is, it's quite lame, in an entertaining way. Alexandre Aja should remake it with Giannetto De Rossi on the effects team. That would be dreamy.

The Keep.  The movie Michael Mann did isn't very good.  I have done a review for it here:

http://www.horror-movies.ca/horror_reviews_1495.htm

If they remade it closer to the book I would be very happy.  Then again...I plan to become a movie director and would like to helm it myself if I could get the rights smile

Sounds like I should read the book first then...

You should.  Excellent read.  If by chance you find the movie in a VHS section of a used comic store or something...its interesting to see how screwed up an adaptation can be.

Alright.  I will do.  Thanks for the tip.

I would like to see theatrical versions of The Stand and It, instead of the made for tv versions.

Last edited by Greg (2006-08-28 21:16:43)

I agree Greg.
I would really like to see a well cast, CGI and well thought out makeup for a remake of Omega Man.

The Stand I think is just too large for theatrical.  Garris' version i think is as best you can get.  Also, don't forget a studio who would probably want no more than a 2 hour cut for theaters.

anyone know if Dean Koontz, Twilight Eyes, was ever made into a movie? this is the one where the main character can see demons under the human skin of people. He is working as a carnie and takes it upon himself to rid the world of these creatures.
one of my favorite Koontz books.

I have heard of the book, but I dont think that anyone had adapted it into a movie...for some reason though I think Rob Zombie would do an excellent job with that.

Twighlight Eyes sounds kind of similar to Frailty. So if you liked that book you may want to check out that movie if you haven't seen it yet. Its about a guy who is helping to solve a murder case and flashes back to his childhood when his father began seeing demons in people and took it upon himself to kill them. It is pretty good.

Big Monster On Campus (aka Bolt Neck) was a great idea, and had huge commercial potential, but failed to deliver.  It stared Ryan Reynolds - At a party, one student gets picked on and ends up getting thrown into a pool that has no water in it. Frank, a geek, retrieves a brain from his father's lab and agrees to let the boy have it in exchange for a chance to hang with the popular crowd. The brain, it turns out, originally belonged to a serial killer. As the teen monster goes haywire, popular Macy becomes romantically involved with former geek Frank.

shinning which should have the same ending to the book
evil dead (the blood will be red not green)
IT! (not seen it)
THE EYE

Bassi, they are apparently remaking The Eye from what I have heard of it.

Evil Dead DOES NOT NEED A REMAKE imo.  Curse the For that! mad tongue

Evil Dead does not and I mean does not need a remake.  End of discussion.

I agree...remaking evil dead would be idiotic.  Anyone involved in that project would have to be really ignorant about horror movies in general.  That'd be like doing a shot for shot remake of psycho!!

sorry everone i could not think anything else but evill dead, i think it need remake becasuse this  movies scared me so ,almost shit myself

so it came on later in year on bbc, so brother was out that night i went to my room turn the light off, i watched all by my self, i really is scary movies 
but do like it, really mad movie

i don't know why i said it

Last edited by BASSI (2006-09-11 09:58:32)

the fact that it scares the shit out of you should probably be the first reason NOT to remake it, in my opinion.

I know I'm not even close to being the only one who can't stand how many remakes there are.  It's getting worse, too...the movie industry just has no interest in originality right now, but things usually go in cycles.  Hopefully, they'll start to realize how stale the upcoming roster looks when it's filled with things that everyone's already seen.

I don't like remakes either, but man it must be hard to come up with original material.
Whats left? Everything under the sun has pretty much been done.
Even new material isn't always new. The script writer uses someones idea already and expands on it.
It seems like movies come out in waves, and alot have the same theme at the same time, like now torture is a big thing.

There has to be inside talk between producers and directors because some movies are so close in plot and are released at the same time. It can't be coincidence IMO.

I'm not complaining and I still don't agree in remakes

You're exactly right...Antz and A Bug's Life came out around the same time...K-9 and Turner & Hooch, too.  I bet Turner and Hooch has never been mentioned on this site wink

There are plenty of ideas to be created, even if they involve familiar elements.  I write a lot myself, and I've got a few things no one's seen.  I can easily guarantee that there are great screenplays floating around that no one in a suit is willing to take a chance on.  It's all commerce to the industry, so it's pretty much up to random anomalies to keep interesting movies seeping in through the small, protected cracks.

Sorry to ramble...I have a distaste for the current setup, is all.

I'm sure there are great screenplays out there. I guess all it takes is one suit to take a chance and get the ball rolling. It just might be the next big thing.
What do you write jargen?

I'm like a lot of other people.  I am completely against remakes.  I mean originality and creativity are key in filmmaking and when a remake comes into the picture those keys fade away.  I still think theres more to be seen that we dont know of.  Like when the Devils Rejects and Hostel came out it was like, Fuck yeah!  Thats what I'm talking about!  I have high hopes for the future with the brilliant newbie directors that are coming in.