Re: YOUR Top 10 Cheesy Horror Films

Cheesy doesn't have to be low budget.  Plenty of big budget movies that are cheesy.

deadhorse13 wrote:
ChainSaW80 wrote:

I couldn't do a top ten but I will throw in...

Planet Terror
Night of the Creeps
Dead & Breakfast
Zombies of Mass Destruction
Re-Animator
Cabin Fever 2: Spring Fever
Street Trash
The Deadly Spawn
Slither
Army of Darkness

call me crazy, but I don't consider any of these movies "cheesy" by my definition.  well okay, maybe The Deadly Spawn. lol

That's cool, I guess we all have our own perception of what "cheesy" is. I would consider all of them cheesy but most of them are intentionally cheesy. When I made this list I actually just looked over at my dvd collection and went by what I had in it lol.

Slither is definitely cheesy.  It intends to be.  Same with Army of Darkness.  Just watched Night of the Creeps the other day and it is cheesy as hell.  The romance scenes are the definition of 80s cheese haha.

PrinceofDarkness wrote:

Slither is definitely cheesy.  It intends to be.  Same with Army of Darkness.  Just watched Night of the Creeps the other day and it is cheesy as hell.  The romance scenes are the definition of 80s cheese haha.

Yes...but I think the difference is all those movies had great actors in them.  To me the actors are a huge factor.

PrinceofDarkness wrote:

I don't know. I think Slither and Army of Darkness are self aware and well crafted. Not sure if I'd classify them as cheesy.

My personal favorite Top 10 cheesy horror movies

1.  C.H.U.D. - great cast with Daniel Stern and John Heard and a short scene of John Goodman as a cop at a cafe diner

2. Return of the Living Dead

3. Black Sheep

4. Flight of the Living Dead

5. Dead Alive - Singaya. He's got the bite!

6. Creepshow

7. Tales From the Hood

8. Children of the Corn 2 - oh that Christie Clark LOL

9. Friday the 13th Part VI

10. Critters 2

underthemilkyway wrote:
PrinceofDarkness wrote:

I don't know. I think Slither and Army of Darkness are self aware and well crafted. Not sure if I'd classify them as cheesy.

As I stated in a earlier post, intentionally cheesy, they were made to be funny, overthetop and outlandish on purpose but they are still cheesy even if they were meant to be, in my opinion.

What are "Cheesy Horror Movies"?

The Car
Saturday the 14th
Motel Hell
Critters
House
Waxwork
Ghoulies
April Fool's Day (1986)
Trailer Park of Terror
Zombie Strippers

What are cheesy horror?

In no particular order:

1. Black Roses (1988) - It doesn't try to do heavy metal any favors by depicting the titular band as rubber-faced demons out to corrupt small town American youth with their sweet 80s hard rock & heavy metal jams.  Kinda of cool soundtrack that includes Lizzie Borden's excellent "Me Against the World".

2.  C.H.U.D. 2:  Bud the Chud (1989) - Starring the guy best known as Eric from Head of the Class, this is an atrocioulsy retarded zombie comedy that has nothing to do with the original.  I figure if you enjoy Return of the Living Dead 2 (and I do... I do), you can sit through this.  I have it on VHS.

3. The Video Dead (1987) - This is an old mom n' pop video store favorite of mine.  A TV, that happens to be a portal in which the zombies from an old movie can enter our world, is accidentally delivered to a house in the suburbs.  The zombies are kind of cool and get involved in all kinds of tomfoolery, but you won't believe what it takes to kill em'.  I've had it on VHS forever, but lucky for you it's on Netflix now!

4. The Boneyard (1991) - So, a man enacts an ancient Chinese curse that turns his children into flesh eating ghouls who wreck havoc in the local morgue.   A pyschic is on the case as Phyllis Diller turns into a zombie and her dog becomes the monster poodle from hell!  You have to see it to believe it. 

5. 976-EVIL (1988) - Evil Ed from Fright Night is a bullied highschool nerd who calls the titular number, gets possessed, and makes them bullies pay.  Robert Englund directed this crazy mess.  I don't know, I like it.

6. Burial Ground:  The Nights of Terror (1981) - In perhaps the most audacious Italian zombie romp ever, a group of sex-starved weirdos schmooze about an old villa where a mad doctor, who has apparently discovered the secret to life after death, where crusty zombies in colorful shrouds use tools to break in and kill and eat everyone.  The cherry on top is the man-child Peter Bark in all his glory.  A sleaze classic.

7.  Hell of the Living Dead (1980) - A couple of reporters and a group of nutty commandos run around the jungle during a zombie outbreak to the tune of Goblin's Zombi 2 score.  Cheapjack gore and ripe dialogue abound.

8.  Nightmare City (1980) - A planeload of infected, kill-crazy, oatmeal faced athletes touch down and go on a rampage across Italy, shooting, biting, and stabbing everyone in site.  You can't beat the attack on aerobics shoot at a TV station.  It doesn't get any better... or worse.

9. The Dead Pit (1989) - A demented doctor is entombed in the basement of an asylum with the bodies of his deceased experiments.  Years later, a big-breasted lady with amnesia arrives.  An earthquake hits, unleashing the red-eyed evil doctor and a troupe of brain-eating zombies.  Features yet another uniquely absurd way of dispatching the undead.  Another mom n' pop video store favorite of mine.

10.  The Mutilator (1985) - A kid accidentally causes the death of his mother, so years later, his dad decides to take out his pent-up aggression on him & his friends in a variety of gruesome ways.  Not a particulary great slasher, but makes up for it with some nasty kills scenes.  You have to get the unrated version to make it worth your time.  I have an old unrated VHS.  The last scene of this movie is as bat-shit crazy as they come.

Last edited by Maxwell (2012-08-01 18:50:22)

"9. Don't go in the Woods Alone. No plot, ugly women, horrible acting and a horrific script. And a very high body count."

AWFUL movie.

My favorite cheesy horror movies for a laugh

Leprechaun
C.H.U.D. 2 Bud the CHUD
Critters 2
Gremlins 2
1980s Little Shop of Horrors
Original House on Haunted Hill
The Lost Boys
Wolf
Evil Dead
Evil Dead 2
Drag Me to Hell

Why do nobody answer me?

A Lost Boy wrote:

Why do nobody answer me?

The definition of a cheesy movie is subjective,what I believe to be a cheesy movie may not be someone else's definition.
Some people believe that a horror movie that wants to be taken seriously but is unintentionally funny is cheesy,some believe that a movie that has bad FX (I.E. Planet  9 from outerspace),or bad acting is a cheesy.
And welcome to the boards.

Hm... OK:
Dawn of The Dead (1978) is full of laughter.
Evil Dead II. Army of Darkness. The Lost Boys is also a little bit funny. Also there is Night of The Living Dead. Videodrome. Christine.

Evil Bong.
April Fool's Day(1986)
I love the song that plays at the end of April Fool's Day,Too bad you're crazy,check it out on youtube.

Last edited by hellrat (2012-08-05 18:54:58)

Can't believe I've missed this thread.  Some good stuff in here.  My top 10 picks:

10. The Redeemer: Son of Satan (aka Class Reunion Massacre)
9. Blue Jean Monster
8. Children Shouldn't Play with Dead Things
7. Puppet Master
6. Night of the Demons (original)
5. Dead Heat
4. The Toxic Avenger
3. Street Trash
2. Blood Diner
1. Psychos in Love

^^ Dead Heat twice. You must really like that one.

D'oh!  I'll fix it.