Re: Last horror movie you watched?

Shivers. now called They Came from Within (1975) Very odd title change!

Anyway, This was re-watch, I had not seen this movie for really long time,  I did enjoyed it a lot back then.

I thought it had Very strange  story but a good plot  apartment building are being infected by a strain of parasites that turn them into mindless, sex-crazed fiends out to infect others by the slightest sexual contact.and there weer good moment in this movie, This dose feel a bit out dated now and could done a bit more with the attack scenes in this movie.

I didn't mind  looked really really, some decent effect and some odd effect in the movie, which made me laugh,

The acting was okay in this movie in this movie, I did enjoy how the movie ended

It's was not as good as I remember it!  5 out of 10

On other side of that DVD, there also called movie Witchcraft (1988)

Which also got new title

Just found this is now called Witchery (1988) Not to be confused with   Witchcraft (1988) (I Like I did)

I thought it was it the other witchcraft but so I didn't expect to see David Hasselhoff and Linda Blair

The movie start of in the women running away from some and soon Jumps out of window for some reason but the movies fast

When a storm strands a group on a Massachusetts island where the only dwelling is an old hotel supposedly haunted by the ghost of a former German actress (Knef), the result is the standard horror film as each of the cast is picked off one-by-one

This was not as bad as I thought it was going to be, It never get boring at all,  there were decent death scenes in this movie.

There few bloody moments in the movie I really liked, I wasn't to keen it the end the story.

it's felt too rushed and I didn't really get the last scene in the movie.

The acting was really from most of the cast

I give 4 out of 10, worth watching

Evil Dead (2013). 6/10.

Eraserhead

Evil Dead (2013)

Everything I wanted! Fantastic movie, one of the best horror flicks I've seen in recent years. It was brutal. I really like how they handled the remake. It felt good enough to stand on its own. I understand that some Evil Dead purists may not totally appreciate it, but just enjoy it for what it is. Also, stay after the credits!

9/10

Evil Dead (2013) 

This remake or reboot what ever you what to call it, it not as bad as other Classic horror remakes like Friday, Elm street and  The Omen however I don't think was good as other remakes such The Hills have eyes and TCM  remakes.

I did expect a lot more from this movie after all the hype it got, I thought there would have more gory then it was. 

I thought there were som good decent gory scenes which Did like  but nothing we not really see before and  I didn't really find the demon creepy or scary at all.

The rest of the movie, well it wasn't boring, it was fast paced Before I knew it was over .

Again another trailer shows the best parts of the movie that lead to the rest of movie  not having  many surprising moment  which makes the rest of kind of predicable.

The acting decent from most of the cast, I could not connect to them at all and effect was not bad but as fun as original

I give this movie 5 out of 10   Average horror movie

Kolobos (1999) - Responding to a classified add, struggling artist Kyra lands what she thinks is her dream job.  She and 4 other young adults will spend 3 months at a mountain resort (really just a suburban house) to participate in an experimental film where their every move will be recorded by cameras placed throughout the house.  Once inside, they find themselves trapped with someone or something picking them off one by one.  Boy was I dupped on this one.  I read a couple of positive reviews comparing this favorably to My Little Eye.  While the basic plot is similar, this low budget offering is clearly inferior.  Just poorly done and only mildly entertaining, with perhaps the only highlight being a very quick cameo by Linnea Quigley.  2/5.

I find it interesting to read all of what people think of Evil Dead remake.
Opinions differ and that's what I like about here. An exemple of this is Kolobos that alien watched. I found it pretty damn cool and there were some great cinematography. Doesn't deserves my 666 and up note but it's at least a 8-9 for me. smile

TALES OF TERROR [2004] Japan
http://asianwiki.com/Tales_of_Terror

A bunch of short films stuck together. I would say it's more an Horror Drama than anything else but it's pretty cool anyways. Not as scary as what I'm used to from Japs but still very nice images. And pretty cool acting too.

9/10

I did like certain sequences of the new Evil Dead quite a lot like the mirror bit and the final climax but overall, it was just above average - 6 outta 10/ 3 stars outa 5.

The problem was that the original was both scary and comical but the remake plays it straight yet isn't, overall scary, despite some creepy parts and a brutal nastiness that reflected the gore of the original. It was very technically slick and accomplished and I applause the director for using practical effects but as a experience in terror the original is so much more effective.

Last edited by Vasquez (2013-04-19 13:07:07)

I don't think they were trying to make Evil Dead a gritty realistic horror, it seemed pretty over the top and even humourous at times. Even if you compare it to the original, they're not too dissimilar in the amount of comedy and gore. The 2nd one was way more of a comedy horror than the first.

I didn't find the original to be scary at all, except maybe a few creepy moments here and there. I do like Evil Dead a lot, maybe not as much as you guys. Maybe that's why I connected more with the remake.

I'm just glad that it turned out better than I thought it would. I can understand that it may be seen as an average modern horror, but I'll hold it higher than that.

And Theli, yeah, I thought they were taking a serious approach. Whilst it did come across as more "mature", it was still goofy and gory.

Evil Dead

It came out here today and me and a friend went to see it straight away and...yeah, I didn't get excited for it and this was the reason why. It's not a good movie, but it's not a bad one either. It's just a generic horror movie with fun scenes every so often.

I have a few complaints, for one, I was bored with it a lot of the time. Nothing is taken advantage of at the start, you don't get to know any of the characters really, and you get some lame back-story that isn't interesting. Everything just felt like filler at the start, to rack up a longer run-time.

My second complaint would be how stupid the characters (and script are). My god, sometimes when something happens or something is said, I actually thought "Did you really just say/do that? REALLY?" - An example would be the guy the cliché smart guy with the glasses. They find the hatch to the basement, and there is a big streak of blood on the ground and he goes (and I quote:)

"Is that blood!?"

What kind of stupid question is that? Of course it is blood, what the hell else is it going to be? Then along with that, you have the same cliché smart guy (turns out he isn't too smart after all) who is flipping through the book they find. And he is reading some of the stuff written with blood on the pages, and some of the stuff says:

"DON'T SAY IT
DON'T LISTEN TO IT"

And other stuff like this, then he proceeds on to read a passage from the book! Even though the book just told him not to! Why is he so stupid for!?

The rest of the film is so-so. It's funny at times with some of the possession stuff, and then it has its moments of awesome. All the characters are generic and boring, I felt nothing for any of them and there is no character progression at all.

I also thought the end scene kind of dragged out longer than it should of, but what can you do.

It's not as bad as previous remakes, but it's no where as good as The Hills Have Eyes remake and such. You'll enjoy it if you liked the originals.

Rating: 5.5/10

P.S: Stay for after the credits.

Scary MoVie (2013)

I thought this movie be really bad, I do like some spoof movies, I liked the other scary movies and I even some bad one such as Shirke you know what you did last summer, I didn't Not mind Not Another Teen movie , I thought those were decent movies, also really liked Superhero movie but This scary movie 5 is no were near as bad Disaster Movie (2008), Date Movie or Stan Helsing (2009) or Vampires Suck (2010)

Yes is it the weakest of the series

At the start of the movie, they tried way to hard to be funny, yet could have been funny, I don't think Benny hill music really worked with that scenes.

The main spoof this movie focus on is Mama and Black swan and paranormal activity, planet of the apes and there are other spoof as inception and Evil Dead spoof.

i Thought Evil Dead spoof was really funny, I laughed Few times in those scenes as for rest of the movie, I did found some scenes funny and other were Jokes goes a little to long and fall flat a number of times.

I didn't really like how the movie ended, I didn't find ending that funny at all,

I enjoyed it and I laugh a number of times but I did miss Anna, it dose feel a little strange her not being the movie, They were trying to go for a re-boot of series but kinda shot them self in foot with that.

They must of cut some scenes out trailer, Some scenes trailer were not
in the movie.

Ashley Tisdale was decent but i didn't find her too funny as did the Cindy scenes in all scary movie.

I really enjoyed 5 out of 10 

Also another movie that scene after the Credits, Which I did not know while watching.

Toxic Avenger 7/10
Bait 7/10
The Exorcism of Emily Rose 9/10
An American Werewolf in Paris 2/10
Ringu 9/10
Silent Hill 9/10
The Violent Kind 6/10
Chernobyl Diaries 7/10
Silent Night (2012) 7/10
Juan of the Dead 10/10
The Grapes of Death 5/10
Horror of Dracula 10/10
My Bloody Valentine (1981)
Night of the Living Dead 9/10
Shallow Ground (2004) 10/10
Mask Maker 5/10

Scavenger of Human Sorrow wrote:

My second complaint would be how stupid the characters (and script are). My god, sometimes when something happens or something is said, I actually thought "Did you really just say/do that? REALLY?" - An example would be the guy the cliché smart guy with the glasses. They find the hatch to the basement, and there is a big streak of blood on the ground and he goes (and I quote:)

"Is that blood!?"

What kind of stupid question is that? Of course it is blood, what the hell else is it going to be? Then along with that, you have the same cliché smart guy (turns out he isn't too smart after all) who is flipping through the book they find. And he is reading some of the stuff written with blood on the pages, and some of the stuff says:

"DON'T SAY IT
DON'T LISTEN TO IT"

And other stuff like this, then he proceeds on to read a passage from the book! Even though the book just told him not to! Why is he so stupid for!?

I don't really see how either scene suggests stupidity. Somebody saw something they don't see everyday and makes an exclamation, he was surprised, I would be too. I would definitely read those words from the book. Would you be afraid of a book? Think about this logically, unless they know they're in a movie there would be no reason to assume you can actually summon the dead.

Blood River (2009) 

This this movie as been I watch list for so long.

This movie about Clark and Summer, a  married couple and Summer is newly-pregnant, and Clark is worried that her father will be critical of him.

long the way the one of their car has a blowout and Clark is sure that he put spare in the boot of the car.

It's start of really intruding but next 45 of mintues were very slow burner, with nothing much happens and talking to one and other, Where it getting really boring, I was thinking out turn off after that but I clad I didn't!

The last half hour were it's really pick up again and more things start to happen,   
You think this movie is going way but they really clever with as total throw you off what really happening.

Really good turn in the story, as I didn't see it coming at all, it kind of makes sense it ending

The acting was really good from the whole cast in this movie.

5.9 out of 10

Theli wrote:

Would you be afraid of a book? Think about this logically, unless they know they're in a movie there would be no reason to assume you can actually summon the dead.

This is a good point. We criticise characters' actions (and rightfully so sometimes, like when the babysitter runs upstairs) but in their "world" the supernatural is as implausible as our own. If I actually had the book sitting in front of me, open, I'd probably take a glance too. What I wouldn't have done would be to pick it up from that creepy place. But then there'd be no movie tongue.

Splinter

Red State - not really a horror movie but close enough. Either way I thought it was a fantastic movie. 8/10

Chomper wrote:
Theli wrote:

Would you be afraid of a book? Think about this logically, unless they know they're in a movie there would be no reason to assume you can actually summon the dead.

This is a good point. We criticise characters' actions (and rightfully so sometimes, like when the babysitter runs upstairs) but in their "world" the supernatural is as implausible as our own. If I actually had the book sitting in front of me, open, I'd probably take a glance too. What I wouldn't have done would be to pick it up from that creepy place. But then there'd be no movie tongue.

My big sis got me the Simon version of The Necronomicon for my 24th Birthday and I remember being very hesitant to open it.  Even knowing it was a work of pure fiction, I kept thinking to myself, "But what if it's not?" lol

The real question here is when we sit down to watch a horror movie, are we to assume that the characters in the film have never seen a movie themselves?  Do movies exist in the worlds these characters live in?  It's hard to imagine a world where film doesn't exist, so I naturally assume that they do, and that the characters have seen them.  It's called the "community of emotion" -- when the audience collectively transfers its knowledge of not just movies but life itself onto or into the characters on the screen, and we find ourselves calling the characters out when they do something we know (and therefore they should know) is stupid. 

And yeah, in this movie, the characters do a LOT of stupid things.  So you're left thinking -- or at least, I was left thinking -- what a fucking moron that dude is to have not only opened that book in the first place, but also to have recited its passages aloud despite the copious warnings and the fact that the book was found in a location where it's quite obvious that something very, very evil recently took place, and that all evidence points to the book as the source.  It's like the dumb-ass who reads the sign saying "DON'T TOUCH: ELECTRIFIED FENCE" but touches the damn thing anyway.

STUPID.

Contamination - first time watch, I thought it was a really cool mix of science fiction and horror. Loved the special effects. Especially the giant Alien towards the end. 7/10

LoudLon wrote:

And yeah, in this movie, the characters do a LOT of stupid things.  So you're left thinking -- or at least, I was left thinking -- what a fucking moron that dude is to have not only opened that book in the first place, but also to have recited its passages aloud despite the copious warnings and the fact that the book was found in a location where it's quite obvious that something very, very evil recently took place, and that all evidence points to the book as the source.  It's like the dumb-ass who reads the sign saying "DON'T TOUCH: ELECTRIFIED FENCE" but touches the damn thing anyway.

STUPID.

Meh, I still woulda read it. My question is why was the book left out in the open in the cellar, with barb wire and a garbage bag wrapped around it. If the people who used it last knew what it could do, why not just bury the damn thing, the barb wire ain't stopping shit..

kXnPunk wrote:

I find it interesting to read all of what people think of Evil Dead remake.
Opinions differ and that's what I like about here. An exemple of this is Kolobos that alien watched. I found it pretty damn cool and there were some great cinematography. Doesn't deserves my 666 and up note but it's at least a 8-9 for me. smile

Yup, that is the great thing about this site.  You don't have to worry about someone berating you because your opinion differs from theirs.  Besides, you never know what gems you can find by trying something different, even if someone else doesn't particularly care for it.

Suicide Club (2001) - When 54 high school girls throw themselves in front of a subway train it appears to be only the beginning of a string of suicides around the country. Does the answer lie with the all-girl group Desert who have become very popular with the country's young people? Detective Kuroda tries to find the answer, which isn't as simple as one could hope.  I seem to be on a Shion Sono kick lately, having watched 3 or 4 of his movies in the last couple of weeks.  I'd have to say that this is my least favorite so far.  Just didn't do much for me.  Plus the music of "Desert" really annoyed me.  2.5/5.

The Wax Mask (1997) - Paris, 1900: a couple are horribly murdered by a masked man with a metal claw who rips their hearts out. The sole survivor and witness to the massacre is their daughter Sonia. Twelve years later in Rome, a new wax museum is opened whose main attractions are the lifelike recreations of gruesome murder scenes. Upon a bet, a young man attempts to spend the night in the museum but is found dead the next morning. Then as people start disappearing from the streets of Rome, the halls of the wax museum begin filling with new figures.  An interesting colaboration between Dario Argento and Lucio Fulci.  It is really nicely done and has the look and feel of a Hammer film, plus the lovely Romina Mondello.  But there is one scene that looks awfully similar to a scene in The Terminator.  Silly in some parts, but still a good watch.  3/5.

It's in the Blood (2012) - Estranged from his father for years, October returns to the rural Texas town where his father is the Sheriff.  In an attempt to reconnect, father and son decide to take a day hike.  But when they find themselves stranded in the wilderness, they find that they must confront the horrors of their past if they want to escape with their lives.  A pleasant surprise, really well done for what appears to be a low budget flick.  Original story, believeable characters, good acting and creepy atmoshpere.  It might not appeal to all, but I really enjoyed it.  3.5/5.

Sinister. not as good as i thought it may be but it was ok. 6/10

War of the Dead- Just ok. I did like the element of surprise as when the zombies were going to strike.
5/10

Dark Shadows