Re: Last horror movie you watched?

LoudLon wrote:

Azzie -- so what was the final total number of films in your Slenderman project?

Roughly 2,500 or so "episodes" spread out over a couple hundred YT series.  Each episode was 1-7 minutes long, with an average of about 3 minutes.  Actual movies were The Tall Man, Windigo, and The Slender Man Movie,  plus a bunch of shorts 15-40 minutes long.

Some series are still active.

The format is a combination of found footage and documentary style.  This is normally done by using another video project that accidentally catch some odd things, or something scary (a break in) or weird (presumed ghost or something) that has the person/group taping themselves security camera style.  The found footage comes from previous tapes, anonymously mailed tapes, or actual found video.

It was interesting to see how the stories progressed over time.  The earliest series where very focused on Slendy, the the Rake started to pop up.  Towards the end of those, active observers and proxies showed up.  Later entire stories dropped Slendy for cults, observers and proxies.  There is even one channel that is just Q&A sessions by a "proxy" (she's hilarious).

The style, mood, and cinematography change over time from the 1st generation onwards.  The 1st Gen "Top 5" all started off rather tame.  MarbleHornets is wondering why a filmmaker just quit in mid-production; DarkHarves00 starts with a supposed ghost haunting; EverymanHYBRID started as a fitness series; TribeTwelve started as a tribute to a cousin who committed suicide; MLAnderson0 is slightly edgier since the main character just got out of a 16 year stint in the crazy house.

These calm beginnings are reflected in the eerie sightings- a quick glimpse of a tall figure in the background, a reflection in a window.  As each series progresses, encounters become more shocking and dangerous.  The electronic equipment malfunctions start minor and ramp up to Microsoft Bob.

In the following generations, the "action" starts quicker, it's more shock than eerie, and the A/V FX are turned up to 11.  No slight distortions, but rather full-out LSD flip out video with screeching audio.  It's rather annoying after the 132rd time you see the false color effect while cats are dragging nails down a chalkboard at 110dB.

Another change was away from Slendy being in direct contact with the protagonist and using proxies (or cults) as the antagonists.  Then some series have one of the friends actively get co-opted or just turn against the group.  Later series got really weird with alternate dimensions, time travel, doppelgangers, various paranormal creatures/beings, prophecies of Lovecraftian gods, the usual Tuesday night in Monkeyville.

An odd thing that I don't know if it was just chance or some people did it on purpose- Alex was the tormented character in MarbleHornets (the original series) and in many other following series the tormented character has an "A" name.  And his/her buddies have a lot of "E" and "J" friends.  Just a small thing that caught my attention.

I'm going to write up a full article with links in a bit.  I just wanted to get out the preliminaries.

^^^
Nice description. That cats nails on chalkboard screeching 110dB grabs my attention. Love that kinda stuff. So would I the LSD effects too.

But 110dB is far from enough. Pump it up to 11 like some classic band said... big_smile

Dark Circles (2013)

I really enjoyed this movie, it started of with bang and some bizzare scene in this movie in good way and they making feel very unsettling.

Couple just had new born baby, as they didn't want to raise the Baby in new york, so they to place when its less noise.

They moved to house and with their new born baby but baby dose sleep at night all,  they seem to feel a sleepy a lot tiny.

What liked about this movie both of them see things as one time or another but they put down to not having enough sleep.

There were really good chilling moment in this movie and that made feel a little tense, they some really good scarce scenes in this movie what work, may make you jump.

I also liked how  Paul Soter still keep the creepy thought out the whole movies,  even nothing is happing in those scenes.

This was Paul Soter  first horror movie but it not great but it was above average for me..

The acting was outstanding from everyone in this movie and Baby is cute! 

7 out of 10

MAXIMUM OVERDRIVE [1986] rewatch

Man that's another great Evil machine classic by Sir King. Loving the face in front of the truck. And the lawnmower going mad is great. Very nice shots and acting, another brilliant movie.

666.666.666.666.666/10

The Apparition (2012)

Not really sure what to make of this movie, It was kind of waste of time really, it was really all that creepy or that scary.

There were some strange scenes in this movie, that didn't make sense at times but I didn't really fully get what was going on.

I thought opening scenes was decent But that was the good part of the movie for me and acting was really poor and over the top in some scenes .

it was kind of boring and a some-what- predicable.

3 out of 10

Don't Open The Door  "1974"

I still have it on VHS!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HX9nxYBT-28

Love the info Azzie, I watched a bit of Marble Hornets and played the game, it still shocks me. I want to check out more.

Phase IV (1974)

Interesting film directed by the legendary graphic/motion designer Saul Bass, best known for his iconic title sequences for Vertigo and many others.

7/10

^^^
Bass is one of if not THE best graphic designer ever. His stuff is wild.

I gotta see this one. Thanks for putting it up man.

Drag me to hell

jrs1991 wrote:

Drag me to hell

I haven't seen that one yet! big_smile

DarkMistress wrote:

Ok, well I am in the mood for CARS!

Being chased by maniacs out in the middle of no where and cars that have a life of their own soooooooooo tonight I am going to watch:

DUEL with Dennis Weaver. Thanks LoudLon for helping me find this in my "Trying To Find" thread.... big_smile

and then I am going to watch:

CHRISTINE!

lol

Maybe I'll throw THE HITCHER in there too with Rutger Hauer! Oh damn he is GOOD in this film!

I am on summer holidays this week...sort of lol so I can stay up real late and catch some good horror flicks.

Dracula's wife

Speaking of great CAR flicks.....

THE CAR   big_smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoAD3kUmN9s

DarkMistress wrote:
jrs1991 wrote:

Drag me to hell

You should check it out some time it's good and fun.

No One Lives 2012- 7/10

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1763264/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
lots of Action and blood. 

Raw 2013  4/10

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2861518/
German spin on the Blair Witch project but with a Devil Man

Evidence 2013 4/10

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1828970/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
It was ok. didn't make much sense

Sanitarium 4/10

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2449810/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
Like a Tales from The Darkside or Night Galley anthology

MistressOf Horror wrote:

No One Lives 2012- 7/10

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1763264/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
lots of Action and blood. 

Raw 2013  4/10

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2861518/
German spin on the Blair Witch project but with a Devil Man

Evidence 2013 4/10

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1828970/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
It was ok. didn't make much sense

Sanitarium 4/10

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2449810/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
Like a Tales from The Darkside or Night Galley anthology

Raaaaccccchhheeeelll! nice to see you here, we ( I) Miss you:(  runs along behind her horse as the marvellous Mistress rides off naked over the horizon. i'm going to have to go and have a lie down now tongue

Final Scream (2001) blatant "Scream" clone but not quite as bad as i thought or it could have been, but certainly not good. 5/10

kXnPunk wrote:

^^^
Bass is one of if not THE best graphic designer ever. His stuff is wild.

I gotta see this one. Thanks for putting it up man.

It certainly is a very interesting film. Combines some quite striking visuals, as you would expect from him, with some quite psychedelic visuals towards the end. In addition his choice of what he focuses on during some sequences in regards to the ants is quite unusual and different.

So basically the film is not a masterpiece of the genre but still a good film worth a watch.

Blood from the Mummy's Tomb (1971)

A great Hammer film that is not mentioned enough. Some GORGEOUS cinematography by Arthur Grant. It was also done by the same director of Scream of Fear - Seth Holt - (*another hammer film I really like).

9/10

DarkMistress wrote:
jrs1991 wrote:

Drag me to hell

STOP WAITING!!!! It's a damn blast, hey, normal, it's Raimi. lol

STOKER [2013]

Woah man, what a freaking magnificient movie this is. Nicole Kidman is as lovely and badass as she always is but Mia Wasikowska delivers an amazing performance. FANTASTIC images, story and everything. A wonderful little piece this was. Glad I finally could see it, been a long while I'm waiting. Worth the wait though. It RULES!!!

666.666.666.666/10

Phantasm

Killer soundtrack.

kXnPunk wrote:
DarkMistress wrote:
jrs1991 wrote:

Drag me to hell

STOKER [2013]

Woah man, what a freaking magnificient movie this is. Nicole Kidman is as lovely and badass as she always is but Mia Wasikowska delivers an amazing performance. FANTASTIC images, story and everything. A wonderful little piece this was. Glad I finally could see it, been a long while I'm waiting. Worth the wait though. It RULES!!!

666.666.666.666/10

LOL

Ok I'll check it out.

Jeepers Creepers

Love it!!!

Just watched Diary of the Dead again. I kind of feel the message of the dangers of media and depersonalization a little overpowering at times, but I still really enjoy this movie. I like the characters and I like the story. Still need to watch Survival of the Dead.

DarkMistress wrote:
kXnPunk wrote:
DarkMistress wrote:

STOKER [2013]

666.666.666.666/10

LOL

Ok I'll check it out.

I would defo recommend it aswell. Best film I have seen at the cinema this year so far by miles. 10/10 for me.

Last edited by Vasquez (2013-07-08 04:05:30)

ABCs of Death