Re: Last horror movie you watched?

I know it didn't get good reviews but I like Juliianne Moore and Jonathan Rhys Meyers and the trailer looked pretty decent for "6 Souls" aka Shelter. Well, it started off great and Jonathan's split personalities were incredible but what started as a great psychological thriller turned into a somewhat hokey supernatural one. I've seen worse and liked the premise but would say somewhat mediocre at best.

5/10

Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lnzhbj7396A&html5=1

Dark Ride (2006)

Had it's moments but too uneven to sustain legitimate interest.

6/10

The Fall of the House of Usher  (1960)  One of my favorite Vincent Price movies!

http://youtu.be/dXpYKCAEOQc

Excision (2012)

I forgot that I saw this, Not all of it but I just could not get into this movie at all, it wasn't that is boring or anything.

I just found it little odd and I felt puzzled at times and not sure what was actually going on in this movie.

As did see the last half hour of movie. I won't wait the movie yet. When I am think I am in the right mood for this movie, it giiving another go.

Not rated

The Vault of Horrors.  This was my first time seeing it so I can't say for sure, but it appeared to be heavily cut at times.  But it was a DVD rip so I'm assuming it was at least a theatrical cut, which means the theatrical cut had a bunch of gore snipped out prior to its release?  I dunno.  Decent flick, though.

Chernobyl Diaries

Oh my. Peli is seemingly uncapable of writing characters with more than 2 brain cells. Wonderful setup, as usually ruined by incredibly stupid character decisions and extremely boring deaths.
But one thumb up for the bear.

From Beyond

Lovecraft fans are such easy prey!
Loved it. Combs was better than I've ever seen him.
Of course the characters were even more bonkers than in Chernobyl, but oh well, it fits here.
Tonight I'll continue with Lovecraft (but without Combs) with The Resurrected.

Last edited by golem09 (2013-07-09 10:38:39)

watched " Texas Chainsaw" (2012) last night and as regulars know i respect the original T C M but prefer the remake.well i am here to say that " Texas Chainsaw" (2012) is most of the  time an insult to the original. not thought out well at all and sadly so typical of how cynical and how film making has become a " let's cash in on the good name and reputation of a classic film". make nonsense of it and throw it out there for the poor saps who will pay inflated cinema prices to watch sub- par story and situations with major plot holes you could drive a juggernaut through. really quite bad . a very generous 4/10 . this has joined " Cabin In The Woods" in so much i got the dvd, watched it, threw it on the crap heap and will be selling it off on E bAY on Sunday, in an effort to at least get most of my money back. i did it with " Cabin in the Woods". will lightning strike twice? i hope so, i want to get rid of this shit and quick.

Last edited by wolfman1959 (2013-07-09 14:53:40)

Halloween 5

The new Evil Dead. I liked it, although they obviously went in a different direction with this reboot, it had no humor whatsoever, but still, it was a good horror movie, especially in 2013, with the horror genre declining and all.

" Elfie Hopkins" extremly average. 5/10

Theli wrote:

Just watched Diary of the Dead again. I kind of feel the message of the dangers of media and depersonalization a little overpowering at times, but I still really enjoy this movie. I like the characters and I like the story. Still need to watch Survival of the Dead.

Survival of the Dead is the only Dead movie by Romero that I didn't like at all. Really bland and didn't like the location. Diary hasn't got a great rep but it's okay, only seen it once I think.

Watched Nosferatu last night.

EPIC!!!

I get goosebumps every time I watch it! smile

^Probably my all time favourite movie, the Kino version is a must. It has a full half hour of extra footage.

Chomper: Yeah I haven't heard the best reviews for Survival of the Dead, but I need to at least give it a shot, with a track record like Romero's, it deserves at least that.

The Resurrected

One of, if not the best Lovecraft movie I've seen. Good spin on the Ward tale.

Full Circle (The Haunting of Julia)
Mia Farrow in a hidden gem. But the whole movie I wondered whether or not I had already seen it.
The theme song was almost as beautiful as the one in A Tale of Two Sisters.

Last edited by golem09 (2013-07-11 09:33:47)

^^^ I enjoyed The Resurrected quite a bit myself.  I've had it on my expansion drive for several months now but haven't watched it since back in '94 or so.  Keep planning to revisit it but there are a lot of flicks vying for my attention and I keep pushing that one back. lol

Last watched: The Sentinel (1977).  One of my all-time favorite horror flicks.

^ Thanks for reminding me, I have never seen it, I'll try and track it down today.

Yes, by all means give Survival a go.

Watched Final Destination again last night, great movie. Really love the start of the movie with build up to the disaster, always reels me in.

Blood Run Colds - a little slow in parts, but the few kill scenes it had were very well done. Overall a pretty decent low budget foreign slasher.

Fangoria Presents: Germ Z - I was a little disappointed in this one after hearing some great things about it. It's def. entertaining but the story is a disjointed mess and almost all of the violence is off screen (which in this type of movie is a definite problem) Overall its not a terrible horror movie, but it's not a great one either. Average at best 5/10

The House by the Cemetery

Beautiful to look, and I enjoyed it a lot, but the last third was a bit of a letdwon. And somehow I keep watching films with good soundtracks!

^I wasn't as blown away by that movie as other Fulci flicks. The kids voice drove me mad in the dubbed version. May need to watch it again though.

Watched They Live again, just love it.

watched " Chromeskull: Laid To Rest 2" last night. not bad, some brutal and nasty kills and gore. 7/10

Theli wrote:

^I wasn't as blown away by that movie as other Fulci flicks. The kids voice drove me mad in the dubbed version. May need to watch it again though.

Watched They Live again, just love it.

What do you see as "dubbed"? I switched between languages, and english seemed lip sync to me, the italian version didn't.

Battle of the Damned (2013)
Lundgren vs Zombies. That's all I needed to know for this. And it was enough. Nice kills, a lot of silliness, robots appearing out of thing air, and a hot lead.

Now I'll watch The Beyond

Last edited by golem09 (2013-07-12 18:31:23)

A great many Italian horror flicks from that period had Italian actors speaking their parts in English, phonetically.  Then native English-speakers were used to dub in their voices.  So you have perfect English accents filling in the mouths of non-native and heavily accented spoken English.  They'd even sometimes dub in actors who actually WERE native English-speakers.  For example Alice Cooper, in Monster Dog.  Dude speaks perfect English yet they dubbed his voice with some other English-speaking voice actor.

Crazy, daddy-o.

^^^
Interesting. Thanks. More knowledge into my Horror filled brain. big_smile
I have always enjoyed very much House By The Cemetary. Wonderful imagery.

GHOUL [2012]

Ghouls are one of my favorite Demonic creatures so yes, I truely enjoyed that one. Cool acting by the kids.

The Loved Ones- Loved it, best new horror film I've seen in ages. And as a female actor I especially appreciated the female antagonist, Lola is such a great character. There needs to be more roles like this in my opinion.

A Nightmare on Elm Street III- Great, probs my second favourite film from the series.

Excision- Disappointing. The dream scenes felt too staged and the story was disjointed and I really wanted to like it but I just didn't.