Re: Last horror movie you watched?

LoudLon wrote:
Jake Featherston wrote:
JJ wrote:

Halloween 3: Season Of The Witch

I'm one of the few people who likes that movie.  I saw it in the theater during its original release, and it SCARED THE SHIT out of me!  I've watched it since, and some of the scenes (where peoples' heads are, quite oddly, transformed into packets of Jerusalem crickets & snakes) are partially censored/"edited" now.  I'm not even sure its even possible to see an uncensored/"unedited" version of the film, like the one I saw lo these 30 years (or so) ago.

I'm actually a staunch defender of this flick myself.  It gets a bad rap mostly from those who go in expecting to see The Shape only to realize it has nothing at all to do with that character, but I think it's actually a pretty good filmic representative of what was going on in the genre at that time.  It's violent, graphic, a bit kitschy...it's like a quintessential 80s horror flick.  And of course it features Tom Atkins, who makes everything  he appears in better.  IMO, natch'.

Season of the Witch is a great film.  People just write it off because it has no Michael Myers obviously.  These people do not look at directing/writing/composing credits to realize Carpenter had his hands all over this film!

And as you said, Tom Atkins!

ExplorerPOD wrote:
LoudLon wrote:
Jake Featherston wrote:

I'm one of the few people who likes that movie.  I saw it in the theater during its original release, and it SCARED THE SHIT out of me!  I've watched it since, and some of the scenes (where peoples' heads are, quite oddly, transformed into packets of Jerusalem crickets & snakes) are partially censored/"edited" now.  I'm not even sure its even possible to see an uncensored/"unedited" version of the film, like the one I saw lo these 30 years (or so) ago.

I'm actually a staunch defender of this flick myself.  It gets a bad rap mostly from those who go in expecting to see The Shape only to realize it has nothing at all to do with that character, but I think it's actually a pretty good filmic representative of what was going on in the genre at that time.  It's violent, graphic, a bit kitschy...it's like a quintessential 80s horror flick.  And of course it features Tom Atkins, who makes everything  he appears in better.  IMO, natch'.

Season of the Witch is a great film.  People just write it off because it has no Michael Myers obviously.  These people do not look at directing/writing/composing credits to realize Carpenter had his hands all over this film!

Also a fan of H3: Season of the Witch.

Hellraiser V: Inferno

Not a terrible movie but it's more of a standalone flick as opposed to an entry in the series. At first I wasn't really sure what was going on, but it's pretty much just a spin on the outcome of opening the Lament Configuration, where the victim is typically torn apart instantly.

Azzie described this one really well earlier, where essentially it's a detective movie with some occasional Cenobite FX thrown in. However, I thought the Cenobite stuff was done quite well, sticking mostly to some well done practical designs. My complaint is that they overused one facial design over and over, which was only effective to begin with. And another familiar Cenobite showed up which was cool (named "Torso" this time).

Pinhead is in this one with reduced screentime, which I prefer. I don't know what it is with him, but as soon as he speaks I just zone out and hear his dialogue as incomprehensible babble. Hell, yadda yadda yadda, fancy torture talk here and there, then he leaves. Didn't know James Remar was in it either, thought he did well.

6/10

I know what you did last summer.

One of my favorites.

Friday the 13th (remake - 7.5/10, letter grade: B-)

REPORTED motherfucker. GET AWAY from here NOW!!! We eat people like you for a living...

Not a horror movie, but I've been watching all the bonus features on the 2008 Friday the 13th boxset. So far they're pretty interesting...I had no idea what a cool guy Ari Lehman (the original Jason) turned out to be. All of the F13 reunion/convention footage is pretty fun to watch, too.

Last edited by The Creature (2013-09-23 13:44:08)

That's very cool, Creature. Will definitely have to check that out. I think you've inspired me to resume watching Friday the 13th after I finish with Hellraiser.

Now I've finished with Hellraiser VI: Hellseeker.

Unlike the previous movie, this one attempts to link in with the original story... slightly. And that connection is through the former protagonist of the first two movies, Kirsty Cotton. They could have used her better because there were only a few nods to the original here and there. And there isn't much of a story. Essentially it's Hellraiser V but with amnesia thrown in as a plot device, and barely any Cenobite activity.

The ending actually shaped up quite well and was the strong point of the movie. Felt like it redeemed it in a way, but the rest of the movie should have been meatier.

5/10

On another note, I didn't know that the Hellraiser series ran into the mid 00s'. I thought it all ended in the mid to late 90s'. Stretching it that far seems kind of ridiculous.

Ive started my horror Halloween viewing about a week ago.  Mostly so far with Horror movies I've seen but haven't watched a thousand times like NOES, Halloween, Poltergeist, Carrie, Etc. 

Pumpkinhead - Though I have seen this a couple times I recently got it on DVD.  It is a cool ass DVD box and an even better film.  The scenes at the witches house are beyond creepy as is the alien itself.  Love this film every time. 

Inferno - Finally got around to watching this after always loving Suspiria.  Inferno always turned me off because there is supposedly no plot.  While there is a plot, there isn't much dialogue.  I didn't love it after the first watch but I did love a couple scenes, especially the ending.  Also a new purchase on DVD that I picked up along with my next watch which I have never seen....

CRITTERS!  -  Love these types of 80s horror movies I've seen em all but I had never watched Critters in it's entirety.  It was really good and had tons of great characters.  Great atmosphere and had some decent scares.  Are the sequels worth a watch?

Oh yea also watched Stuart Gordon's DOLLS the other night for the first time and really enjoyed it.  Actually quite scary as well as somewhat of a fantasy movie which I loved about it.  Was very surprised at how much I enjoyed this one.

I'm thinking about VideoDrome tonight which I've also finally picked up on DVD.   

Other movies on the horizon that are pretty much yearly viewing are Halloween 1, 2, 3.  Monster Squad, The Gate, as well as the classics I listed at the very start of the post. Maybe Zombies 1000 corpses.  Possibly Night of the Demons which I've maybe seen once a long time ago as well as Hell Night.

I saw stephen king's rose red last night. I wonder when this movie is going to come out on blu-ray.

DON'T LOOK NOW [1973]
Man what a damn blast this has been. WILD editing, set deco which gives us MAGNIFICIENT imagery, wow. Julie CHristie and Donald Sutherland, need I say more??? Yeah didn't think so either. big_smile

Story's pretty simple, a couple lose their daughter, dude Don gets goes at a church, meets two sisters one of which is Psychic and tells him his lil' girl tries to give 'em a warning message. He doesn't believe it and things go NUTS.

What a beautiful film this is.

I would see it only for the EXTREMELY graphic sex scene between Don & Julie, it made people scream when it showed  in that time, not usual as it is now. Especially the fucking religious heads. lol

Last edited by kXnPunk (2013-09-23 14:49:49)

Go for Videodrome, Explorer! I feel like watching that one again myself.

Punk -- if you watch Don't Look Now very, very closely you realize that like the blind lady, Sutherland is psychic.  He may not know it -- and if he does know it, he seems to refuse to acknowledge it -- but he's definitely psychic.  Notice in the beginning while he's in the house going over photos, he looks up as if sensing something?  Then moments later he jumps up and runs outside to find his daughter dead in the pond?  Nothing tipped him off, there was no scream, no cry for help.  He just suddenly jumps up and runs out, and he runs directly to the pond, as if he already knew she was in there. 

Not a lot of folks catch that, the fact that the entire opening sequence sets Sutherland up as being psychic.  Hell, I didn't notice it until probably the third or fourth time I watched it.     

Anyway, watch it again with that understanding.  You'll see everything that happens in the flick in an entirely new light.

^^^
Oh yeah now that you say that it makes perfect sense on how Don's character acts. Sweet, I'll rewatch it for sure, that'll be an even better one. Thanks bro!!!

But what an absolutely insanely awesome flick. Gotta LOOOVE old school pelliculas!!! smile

I agree, it's a fantastic film and gets even better with multiple viewings.

I bet it does. I'll watch it as often as I can tonight. lol

Creepy and atmospheric but when it ended I kind of felt cheated. The Last Will And Testament Of Rosalind Leigh. Wasn't horrible and it felt refreshingly original but at the same time something was lacking. Basically a one man show too. One of the creepiest houses I've seen in a while too!

An antiques collector inherits a house from his estranged mother only to discover that she had been living in a shrine devoted to a mysterious cult. Soon, he comes to suspect that his mother's oppressive spirit still lingers within her home and is using items in the house to contact him with an urgent message.

6/10

Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6FWJOjBLEY&html5=1

Rewatched DON'T LOOK NOW twice and damn yes LoudLon, definitely a different way to see his sctions from another side. WOah even cooler. Thumbs up buddy!!! big_smile

^

Don't get why its a classic myself. Couldn't engage with it at all I found the ending funny more than anything else. Each to their own though.

Last film I watched was Jack Hill's Switchblade Sisters (1975) - one of Tarintino's fav flicks I believe.

I enjoyed this flick quite a lot. One of those rare exploitation films that have well drawn characters, played well by the actresses. I would describe it as Grease but in a Girl gang exploitation mould, with a similarly groovy song playing with the opening credits.

I was expecting it to be good with Jack Hill as director and while Spider Baby I think still stands as his best film this is a fine exploitation style picture. Overall a 8/10.

I didn't connect with Don't Look Now either, but it's one I'm gonna watch again. That psychic perspective is very interesting though, didn't quite catch that (though it did strike me as weird how he suddenly knew what was happening to his daughter at the beginning).

Chomper wrote:

I didn't connect with Don't Look Now either, but it's one I'm gonna watch again. That psychic perspective is very interesting though, didn't quite catch that (though it did strike me as weird how he suddenly knew what was happening to his daughter at the beginning).

The best thing about it I think is the visual use of red throughout the film e.g on the photograph but apart from that i found nothing really interesting about it. If I want a film with a creepy little person in red I would rather watch Alice Sweet Alice.

ExplorerPOD wrote:
LoudLon wrote:
Jake Featherston wrote:

I do enjoy the movie while looking at it as just a horror movie, it just gets a terrible rap for being in the "halloween" franchise which is unfortunate.

Just watched The Collection again, a really well done horror movie espically for a sequel, it is hard to think those guys wrote the last few saw movies which did not turn out so well to say the least

Agreed JJ. I enjoyed The Collector and The Collection quite a bit.

George A Romero's Day of the Dead and Freddy vs. Jason