Re: Last horror movie you watched?

Comedown (2012)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1376168/?ref_=nv_sr_1

I'm not a big fan of modern day British horror films but I thought I'd give this a go. The acting wasn't bad and it was a good film to keep you interested.

Loved the twist at the end too. big_smile

6/10

Last edited by Master Horror (2013-11-02 15:06:12)

Simon Says (2006) - 6/10. A weird slasher flick with Crispin Glover (hence why it's weird) as the main antagonist/killer. We get lots of pot-smoking, douche-y teens, a few decent (yet silly) kills. Worth a one-time watch, I think.

Prophecy ('79) - 8.5/10. Damn good monster movie! Best described, in my opinion, as, "How The Attack of The Killer Shrews should have been made!" Beautifully shot and acted...just with some cheesy (but ultimately pretty cool) looking bear-monsters.

The Boogens (1981) - 5/10. Yaaawwn! big_smile The 80's monsters looked pretty sweet, but they only appear near the end of the film. This could have been a much more exciting visionary experience than it actually was.

The Plague of the Zombies (1966) - 7/10. This was a decent voodoo zombie flick. It feels good to pop in "an original zombie" film every once in awhile. There's a couple of cool graveyard scenes, some decent acting, and a worthy-enough story to at least maintain some semblance of the average viewer's attention.

DEAD SNOW [2009] rewatch

From 2009, from Norway. MASTERPIECE like all the ones from this year truely.

Fun to watch it with the peeps on HM Fest 2013 on Skype.

Mothers Day (original) - has everything I love about 80's horror. Crazy characters, gory kills and nice serving of cheese. 8/10

The Prowler - one of my all time favorite slashers. Great killer disguise, a decent mystery and of course some of Savani's best gore effects. 8/10

Halloween (original)
Trick R Treat

NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET [2004] rewatch

Been a damn long while, a good 7 months [yeah to me that extremlu long hahahaha] O had't watched it but it's on TV now so I'm glad. The only thing is it's in gucking Frebcg, ah well whatever, would be crazy to complain, it's my mother languafe. Just that Freddy's voice is MUCH better in english like it's always the case with translations. VO is much better than anything. ALWAYS!!! big_smile

Not my favorite either, it's the 2 but still AWESOME. Reminds me of the first time I saw it, I DIGGED FREDDY RIGHT AWAY!!! He's my favorite Horror character of all times with Samara from The Ring. He's so damn EVIL!!! On yeah, YAY, Hurrah Freddy, HURRAH!!! lol

Last edited by kXnPunk (2013-11-02 19:20:44)

Just watched Hausu for the first time, with Golem for Hfest. Damn was that movie fantastic. Really strange overall, funny at times. Loved it.

^^^
Glad you did, a very cool one indeed so weird it's cool. big_smile

FINALLY got through the rest of Grave Encounters 2. I wish I could get those 95 minutes of my life back. Only took me like 8 tries to get through it.

Vixene wrote:

FINALLY got through the rest of Grave Encounters 2. I wish I could get those 95 minutes of my life back. Only took me like 8 tries to get through it.

You should do what I do. If you sense the film is going nowhere, stop watching it.

I've given up on many films after just 5 minutes. I don't care if they end up classics. If I am annoyed by  silly editing or boring dialogue, then that's it. STOP!

For me, the first five minutes are very important.

Having said that, it's not always five minutes. I have been known to give some movies ten minutes. big_smile

The most recent horror movie I saw was the newest remake of Carrie, which was far more faithful to the original than the first remake, but I still prefer Sissy Spacek to Chloe Grace Moretz.

Last edited by Alucard the Risen (2013-11-03 05:01:04)

"Road Train " (2009) an Australian film that starts off ok and looks like it's going to be like "duel" then goes off on a different and bumpy road and doesn't work. 4/10.

Master Horror wrote:

Having said that, it's not always five minutes. I have been known to give some movies ten minutes. big_smile

lol
I give 'em 1:30 h... Rarely disapointed really. big_smile

TiM the Zombie wrote:

I highly recommend high tension.  Its a great film.  Enough gore to keep you satisfied.

Sort of film you see it once you can't watch it again.

Last two films I watched was a cinema screening of Haxan: Witchcraft Through The Ages (1922) at the Edinburgh Filmhouse, with a live electronic score.

It was certainly very interesting - just like watching a silent film version of a documentary. Some of the imagery might seem a little camp and silly today, while at other times the use of such techniques as stop motion - some of which reminded me of some of Ray Harryhuasen's films - was quite effective and held up well. I also particularly felt the message it conveyed, certainly towards the end, was very profound, considering it still has strong relevance today and if you have seen this film you will know what I mean.

Overall a 8/10.

While it wasn't a film experience the next day I went to the Witchcraft exhibition at the Edinburgh Museum of Modern Art and saw many cool visual paintings and woodblocks of ancient interpretations of witchcraft when it was genuinely believe to exist, including artistic interpretations of the three witches in Macbeth. What was most interesting was seeing a book with handwriting by the real Witchfinder General, Matthew Hopkins, justifying his hunt and torture of accused witches. Overall it was well worth going to, as it provided a informative context surrounding the historical issue of witchcraft and its relationship with past societies during the middle ages and up to the middle of the 19th century.

I then watched Night of The Lepus (1972) with our sites own guys and gals last night. Unlike other films who's ridiculous premises make them fun this was also ridiculously awful and despite some specific moments quite boring. The highlight though was the scene when a cop rides up in front of a drive in cinema screen and yells at everyone 'We need help to combat giant killer rabbits on the loose' and then every car inexplicably follows the direction and leaves without question. That scene made my laugh no end.

Last edited by Vasquez (2013-11-03 10:00:12)

Saw the slasher documentary last night and today I'm gonna try and watch 4 slasher films I never saw:

1. Graduation Day.  Troma film.  Looks cheesy in the beginning, but not too bad so far.  Could have been far worse I guess.   Wasn't as bad as I thought, but there could have been better kills.

2. Sleepaway Camp.  Great movie, lots of fun.  Cool kills and hilarious reveal

3. House on Sorority Row - cool movie.  Could have done a lot more with the killer though, hopefully they did in the sequels.

4. Silent Night, Deadly Night - strange in a way because the killer was the main character, the audience knows him and he kills random people after the initial 4 kills.  Not a lot of tension because of that, but some creative kills.

I never saw most of these movies because between 78-82 I was heavily into slasher flims and got burned out.  I considered some of these rips offs of Halloween and FT13th.   I passed on  them but it's cool to finally get to see them now.

Last edited by Ragnbone (2013-11-03 22:07:21)

Ragnbone wrote:

Saw the slasher documentary last night and today I'm gonna try and watch 4 slasher films I never saw:

1. Graduation Day.  Troma film.  Looks cheesy in the beginning, but not too bad so far.  Could have been far worse I guess.

It's a Troma flick, tongue

Cujo.

^^^ Gesundheit.

Master Horror wrote:
TiM the Zombie wrote:

I highly recommend high tension.  Its a great film.  Enough gore to keep you satisfied.

Sort of film you see it once you can't watch it again.

except the cool house invasion scene.  that's what makes the movie for me.

Tonight's movie:

Last Rites - at :22- blatant film equipment in the shot.   All the camera guy had to do was tighten up and crop it all out.

seems to be a lot of pad, possibly the initial film was too short.

at 1:09 when Alucard's lifting the car I half expected him to say "BOY!"

ok, this thing is real low, low budget, and has the feel of a made for TV movie.  Not bad, but not high quality so don't expect much.

Last edited by Ragnbone (2013-11-03 22:13:42)

Halloween (2007) - Always have been a fan of this one. Michael's background story growing up is easily the most interesting part of the film, for me. But even the second half of the movie is pretty solid.

Gun Town (2009) - Ace's badass low-budget horror picture, which he was cool enough to give us a few tid-bits on here and there at H-Fest. The flick's main villain, Frank Bailey Jr. is an interesting and mysterious character. One who looks cool and whom the audience is left wanting to find out more about near the end of the film.

Cemetery Man - Always has been a very fun, quirky horror favorite of mine. Watching this with the group was a good time. Long live Dellamorte and Gnaghi!

Bloodsuckers (1970)

Should be about 3/10.

But I am giving it 7/10 because it intrigued me and was so bad and disjointed. big_smile

Last Days on Mars  9/10 holy crap!  That's right kids 9/10.  I had completely forgotten the plot and watched it, OMG!!!!  I'm not saying anything, just watch it.  Except for Horror Snobs who will undoubtedly trash it.  wink  You know who you are.  big_smile