Re: Last horror movie you watched?

Maniac (remake)

Watched "It".

Last edited by Alucard the Risen (2013-11-09 23:47:54)

REPULSION [1965] rewatch

Polanski is so freaking AMAZING. All he's done is just a damn masterpiece of brilliant work and this one is another one of them.
Love the hardcore psychological story which is VERY CREEPY as H3LL. Great way to wake up lemme tell you, starts the night PERFECTLY!!! big_smile

A Nightmare on Elm Street II: Freddy's Revenge.  Now about forty minutes into A Nightmare on Elm Street III: Dream Warriors.

We need an "I'm trying to decide" thread

^^^
Hahaha yes, that'd be great. DO ONE!!! tongue
Hahaha

Last movie I tried to watch was Byzantium (2012).

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1531901/

It has rave reviews but after 30 minutes I was bored. Now, remember, I'm the guy who usually gives movies 5-10 minutes to impress me, so this got an extra 20 minutes.

I don't know what it is, but this movie feels so cheap and low budget, the acting not compelling or very good.

I'm at the point when the two women meet Noel - the owner of the closed, big hotel.   I've never been impressed with Daniel Mays (who plays Noel). I find him too boring and samey in everything he does. I'm surprised he gets so much work, and indeed all the plaudits he gets. I cannot see it myself.

So maybe it's my dislike of him and his dreariness which made me put this movie on hold. Who knows. But at the moment I am in no rush to press 'play' any time soon.

* I also tried to watch the remake of Maniac (2012).

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2103217/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

This too, just like Byzantium, is supposed to be  a great movie, but it bored me and irritated me after just 5 minutes. I gave it till 10 minutes and switched it off for good. I hate the POV, and the acting was just awful.

So, all in all, not a good night for movie viewing. big_smile

Master Horror wrote:

It has rave reviews but after 30 minutes I was bored. Now, remember, I'm the guy who usually gives movies 5-10 minutes to impress me, so this got an extra 20 minutes.

I don't know what it is, but this movie feels so cheap and low budget, the acting not compelling or very good.

I'm at the point when the two women meet Noel - the owner of the closed, big hotel.   I've never been impressed with Daniel Mays (who plays Noel). I find him too boring and samey in everything he does. I'm surprised he gets so much work, and indeed all the plaudits he gets. I cannot see it myself.

So maybe it's my dislike of him and his dreariness which made me put this movie on hold. Who knows. But at the moment I am in no rush to press 'play' any time soon.

This too, just like Byzantium, is supposed to be  a great movie, but it bored me and irritated me after just 5 minutes. I gave it till 10 minutes and switched it off for good. I hate the POV, and the acting was just awful.

i quite liked "Byzantium" but can understand what you are saying about it, it does take time to get going and the constant flashbacks in time are at times irritatiing. not a great or even good film by any means but it's ok.However i thought the  "Maniac" remake was good, and the acting especially Elijah Wood's good enough. personal opinions i know but i find this film much better than the original and people that know me on here, know i don't say that too often. however as i say you are entitled to your opinion and i respect that smile

Last edited by wolfman1959 (2013-11-10 05:13:45)

LoudLon wrote:

A Nightmare on Elm Street II: Freddy's Revenge.  Now about forty minutes into A Nightmare on Elm Street III: Dream Warriors.

Was thinking about watching Freddy's Revenge again the other day. I don't remember it being as bad as people say.

My thoughts on part 2 are well known 'roundst here (or at least they should be by now, as many times as I've gone on about it).  Happens to be my favorite sequel in the series.

Mine too.
"One two Freddy's coming for you, 3, 4 knocking at your door, five, six better grab you crucifix..." while jumping a rope, awesome. And damn what a crazy Evil bus driver Freddy is, effects were so, so but damn I dig this scene. Amazing. smile

watching Amazing 2-Headed Transplant

just past the credits and diggin this movie already!

cool movie, lots of campy fun.

Aswang - this thing's a mocumentary, slow moving and about as scary as Blair Witch or The Ring.   The Asians must have a different view about what is scary.  They basically tell you the whole story, explain everything, and then try and scare you with video flashes and loud music blasts.

and it ended like a 70's TV movie....watched the whole thing, what a let down.

Now watching Evil Dead Trap - highly recomend it so far.  Both gory and scary.  Love this movie, never a dull moment.... at 1:21 - WTF????

The Thing with 2 Heads - rewatch, don't believe I ever saw the full film.  A classic!!

Last one for tonight:  Abby the blaxploitation version of the Exorcist!

Last edited by Ragnbone (2013-11-10 21:15:50)

wolfman1959 wrote:
Master Horror wrote:

i quite liked "Byzantium" but can understand what you are saying about it, it does take time to get going and the constant flashbacks in time are at times irritatiing. not a great or even good film by any means but it's ok.However i thought the  "Maniac" remake was good, and the acting especially Elijah Wood's good enough. personal opinions i know but i find this film much better than the original and people that know me on here, know i don't say that too often. however as i say you are entitled to your opinion and i respect that smile

I really liked Byzantium, in fact much more than I was expecting given that opinions I saw beforehand were lukewarm. I thought that it looked beautiful and was engaged by the story, which was relatively original in the broader vampire genre - about the brotherhood and how the mother vampire uses her power to 'curb the power of men' and age old sexism.

I cant agree with you about the acting either. It maybe wasn't oscar worthy but I though it was still pretty good. Opinions are opinions though so you are entitled to yours, Master Horror.

^ I liked Byzantium as well. It managed to avoid many of the vampire trappings that usually pervade vampire movies.

Tried watching Return of the Evil Dead (from the Complete Blind Dead collection). Couldn't get into it sad

NonEuclidean wrote:

^ I liked Byzantium as well. It managed to avoid many of the vampire trappings that usually pervade vampire movies.

Tried watching Return of the Evil Dead (from the Complete Blind Dead collection). Couldn't get into it sad

I also have the Blue Underground Blind Dead collection, and I have to say i like the whole series, but the middle two are the weakest. Return is fun, but feels a little rehashed. Ghost Galleon was also good, but felt a little cheesier, but Night of the Seagulls is a complete return to form, very dark and creepy atmosphere, and the original is great. I just love the slow motion scenes of the undead templars riding their horses, you can tell it was a big influence on Peter Jackson's Ring Wraiths.

LoudLon wrote:

My thoughts on part 2 are well known 'roundst here (or at least they should be by now, as many times as I've gone on about it).  Happens to be my favorite sequel in the series.

Haven't bumped into that opinion yet (somehow), but now I know! Gonna check that one out tonight.

Just watched Survival of the Dead for the first time. I think I would agree with most people and say it was my least favourite of Romero's zombie movies. That's said it's only my first viewing and often my opinions change on his flicks over time. It's still quite an enjoyable movie. It has more of a focus on humour than the rest of his Dead movies, for better or worse. The story is actually pretty interesting; two families living on an island are at war with each other over whether the dead should be exterminated or not. My only complaint was lack of practical FX or a real zombie feast scene. There was a bit right at the end, but it is a very short sequence. It was really cool to actually see a reoccurring character in one of Romero's zombie flicks though. The tie-in with Diary of the Dead worked very well, while still leaving this movie all the needed space to be its own entity. While, like I said, maybe not as good as the rest of Romero's zombie fare, it's still better than most newer zombie films.

Last edited by Theli (2013-11-10 17:12:08)

The Conjuring: I didn't enjoy this movie as much as I was hoping I would. The atmosphere was pretty good, as were a few scenes. I thought the lead actor was horrible in his role.  Annabelle was better, IMO, and she didn't have to act.

6/10

976 Evil 2

Theli wrote:

Just watched Survival of the Dead for the first time. I think I would agree with most people and say it was my least favourite of Romero's zombie movies. That's said it's only my first viewing and often my opinions change on his flicks over time. It's still quite an enjoyable movie. It has more of a focus on humour than the rest of his Dead movies, for better or worse. The story is actually pretty interesting; two families living on an island are at war with each other over whether the dead should be exterminated or not. My only complaint was lack of practical FX or a real zombie feast scene. There was a bit right at the end, but it is a very short sequence. It was really cool to actually see a reoccurring character in one of Romero's zombie flicks though. The tie-in with Diary of the Dead worked very well, while still leaving this movie all the needed space to be its own entity. While, like I said, maybe not as good as the rest of Romero's zombie fare, it's still better than most newer zombie films.

Spot on, Theli.

^^^
Spot on indeed Theli. Feel this exact same and I watched it more than once but still think the same thing you do.

CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST [1980] rewatch

That's LoudLon's fault. He talked about it in the Random Thread so I HAD to rewatch it, been a while so it was really cool to see the second Horror movie I ever watched in my life. Yeah had a pretty freaking Hardcore beginning with Horror, Evil Dead then this. lol

And it's still as badass as it was back then. Unlike a lot of old movies, this one just doesn't age. That pole spike scene is still my all times favorite. Damn that's BRUTAL!!! And yeah I love brutality. I'm Evil remember??? Mwahahaha lol

So thanks LoudLon and Scavenger for bring this up. Was fun.

Last edited by kXnPunk (2013-11-10 22:29:13)

It's still a gutwrencher that's for sure. It stands up quite well.

OF COURSE, it's ROMEROOOoooooo!!! lol

kXnPunk wrote:

OF COURSE, it's ROMEROOOoooooo!!! lol

I was refering to Cannibal Holocaust on that one. Some people hate it, but I think it's one of the most effective horror movies ever made.

I won't argue it's effectiveness; its intent is to disgust and offend, and that it does.  But I'm definitely one of the haters.  Because CH accomplishes a goal doesn't make it a good movie, certainly no more than movies like  A Serbian Film, Salo or Men Behind the Sun accomplishing their goals to shock and offend makes any of them good movies.  IMO, natch'.