Re: Last horror movie you watched?

Toadliquor wrote:

Trust me! It's waaay better than any movie released By Full Moon Features wink

Hey I love Asylum's stuff so I can take ANYTHING!!! lol

The fearless vampire killers is a favorite of mine.  I think the AKA is Pardon me but your teeth are in my neck or something like that.  I've watched this many times.  I always think that the filming looks odd though, but odd in a good way.

@ Toadliquor - The Thing from Another World.  It was based on the 1938 novella "Who Goes There?" by John W. Campbell (writing under the pseudonym of Don A. Stuart).  - Wiki.   In the 1951 film, the Thing was a humanoid plant creature.    Carpenter's film actually was closer to the book because the thing took over the likeness of those it killed so it could be anyone, and there was a lot of paranoia involved.

@ Creature - Return of the Evil Dead.   They were blind and used sound to track their victims, pretty cool.

Last edited by Ragnbone (2014-02-27 23:22:41)

Vera Ellen Baby Firefly wrote:

The fearless vampire killers is a favorite of mine.  I think the AKA is Pardon me but your teeth are in my neck or something like that.  I've watched this many times.  I always think that the filming looks odd though, but odd in a good way.

Yeah odd in a good way indeed. Such a great fun one to watch. smile

IT WAITS [2005]

A vengeful beast of legend has been sealed deep within a cave for more than one thousand years. Nearby in a remote forest outpost, young ranger Danielle St. Clair (Cerina Vincent of CABIN FEVER) is struggling to confront dark demons of her own. But when the creature is accidentally released from its secret tomb, Danny's inner conflicts meet a flesh-and-blood nightmare: A monster that hunts without equal, slaughters without mercy, and savors the taste of human torment. Now its wait is over.

Very cool one full of tension and creepy atmosphere. Cerina is marvelous as the Ranger. Pretty nice acting and script that I enjoyed from start to finish. LOTSA FUN!!! Period. big_smile

kXnPunk wrote:

^^^
I did. Of course. big_smile

Now these ones are all Theli's fault and I thank him. smile

FROM DUSK TILL DAWN 2: TEXAS BLOOD MONEY [1999]

Man Trejo is and always will be BADASS!!! And it's very cool to see Groovy Bruce too. Not as cool as the first, normal, no Juliette Lewis or bikini Salma Hayek but still a very fine and cool ride.

FROM DUSK TILL DAWN 3: THE HANGMAN'S DAUGHTER [2000]

That was a very cool one as it's a Western and I love western.
Trejo again and as crazy cool as he always is. Dude truely ROCKS. He's the actor playing the most badass characters EVER!!!
Rebecca Gayheart is great in her role.

So yeah, I FINALLY managed to see them both and I'm VERY HAPPY about it. Very entertaining films.

I'm glad I got these two on DVD, will get to them evetually.

The Creature wrote:

Tombs of the Blind Dead (1971) - 8/10

I would have watched the original Spanish version of the film, but unfortunately the DVD copy that I have doesn't come with English subtitles. hmm It's all good though. I enjoyed the 93 minute English version well enough. Such a cool fucking film! The ghost/zombie Templars look badass, especially in the scenes where they're all riding on the horses. The chase scene in the beginning 20 minutes of the film was really fun. The dusty, ancient ruins certainly helped with creating the atmosphere the filmmakers wanted. Lots of genuine scares are found throughout. The ending in particular is pretty creepy, too. Tombs of the Blind Dead may just be my favorite PG horror film of all time, come to think of it; but it's difficult to beat Poltergeist in this respect.

I dig this series tremendously. All 4 of them are worth seeing. The sequel Return of the Blind Dead (or Return of the Evil Dead) is very similar to the original, but not quite as good, then the third takes place on a ghost ship, and is a bit on the lighter side, still enjoyable though, but the 4th, Night of the Seagulls goes right back to the cold dark creepy feeling of the original.

Ragnbone wrote:

Ok, I have this old book I got circa 1975.  It's called Horror Films by Allen Franks.  When it gets to the 70's decade, it reviews every movie from 1970-1975, which is ironic that it ended right as the slasher genre got underway and horror films exploded in the late 7

0's.    But I am determined to see every movie Franks talks about from 70-75. 

So today I'm watching The Blood Drinkers from 1964, how it got on my 70's list is beyond me, but I recall a cool pic of a Phillipino vampire munching on a cute chick's neck and I'm sold.

As Punk says, the alternate title for this movie is Blood is the Color of Night, which wouldn't be the case judging from the first 5 minutes....everything's colored blue. 

It's pretty cool what's happening so far, the vampires are reviving a dead woman with a transfusion of what must be vampire blood.  This thing's use of colored filters make it spooky,  atmospheric and different than most Philipine horror films from the 60's.   I kind of dig this!

This sounds damn good, will have to look into it. Kinda wanna see Dracula's Lake now, but I don't think I could sit through it without subs.

Ash's missing hand wrote:

Carrie (remake)   4/10   Strong cast, well acted, but the script and lame CGI took me out of it.No edge to the movie at all.

I felt the exact same way.

The Creature wrote:

Return of the Evil Dead (1972) - 8/10

What a damn good follow-up to the original! I think I even enjoyed this one nearly as much as the first film. Return is not a direct continuation of the story, and does change the background behind the Templars just a smidgen (this time, the reason why the Templars are blind is because they had their eyes burned out with fire, as opposed to in the first film, wherein their eyes were plucked out by crows), but all the better. Lots of good action-horror in this one, moreso than the original, I think. Cool flick.

And on to the next in the series. Yep this was a good one too. You get the boxset?

I gotta say, I have been thinking about Son of Dracula since watching it, and it really was more original than I initially gave it credit for. The title is a complete misnomer, if anything it should have been Dracula's Daughter (part 2 since they did it once already). What makes this flick original though is the relationship of a human and vampire, which happens a bit in Dracula's Daughter too, but also the fact that it had humans that WANTED to become vamps. In most of the old flicks they just want to kill them. That and its focus on insanity made a quite unique flick.

@Theli - Indeed, I dig buy the Blind Dead Collection. Such a beautiful box set. Love the booklet and the bonus DVD that comes with it. I'll be checking The Ghost Galleon and Night of the Seagulls tomorrow.

Very nice, yeah I got it too, well worth the price.

^^^
I'm so jealous of you guys with Blind Dead. Can't find it here. Well should say I don't find ANYTHING. roll

Theli wrote:

I gotta say, I have been thinking about Son of Dracula since watching it, and it really was more original than I initially gave it credit for. The title is a complete misnomer, if anything it should have been Dracula's Daughter (part 2 since they did it once already). What makes this flick original though is the relationship of a human and vampire, which happens a bit in Dracula's Daughter too, but also the fact that it had humans that WANTED to become vamps. In most of the old flicks they just want to kill them. That and its focus on insanity made a quite unique flick.

That's what happened to me ages ago when I got bitten, I told her to go right into my neck and it worked wonders. lol

Last edited by kXnPunk (2014-02-28 01:05:14)

The Returned (2013).

A supposed 'horror' movie. Err, not quite.

It's about a man who has to race against time to find limited supplies of an anti zombie drug.

Don't get excited. I spotted only 3 zombies.

A drama sci-fi more than a horror.

5/10.

PunBB bbcode test

I liked IT WAITS.------I also enjoy the average Asylum flick, just not the OTHER SYFY productions and certainly not the FULL MOONs.

Ragnbone wrote:

From 1971.....A Japanese movie.....Lake of Dracula.

Dracula takes a vacation to a Japanese resort town and mayhem follows.  Kind of disapointed youtube said this would have english subtitles, which it did not.

Had a few good scares, and although I couldn't understand a word, hey, it was a vampire movie, it was pretty easy to figure out what was going on!

Sometimes on youtube when they say there are subtitles the video uploader means for you to click the 'captions' option on the video player. That then turns on subtitles, in some cases.

I saw a DUBBED version of LAKE OF DRACULA on video about 12 years ago.  Recommended.

@ Chomper - Thanks!

@ Ghost Daddy - Yeah, Lake of Dracula was really cool and creepy.   A lot of scares in it.  The mirror scene was well thought out for instance - no spoilers.

The Ghost Galleon (Re-watch, 1974) - 7/10

The third entry in the Blind Dead Series. This one is a bit more light-hearted in its story and not as scary as the first two films. That being said, it's still a very enjoyable film. Ghost Galleon takes place at sea, hidden between dimensions. Going into this, I thought this was going to be my first time watching. As it turns out, I've already seen it a few years back, under the title, "Horror of the Zombies"! I'm glad I've given it a re-watch though, as my perception of horror and filmmaking in general has changed immensely since then. I loved the ending of this flick too...two shots in particular reminded me very much of Romero's Land of the Dead (with the zombies rising out of the water) and Dawn/Day of the Dead (with the POV shot of all the zombies circling around their victim).

Night of the Seagulls (1975) - 6.5/10

The fourth and final entry in the infamous Blind Dead series. For whatever reason, perhaps due to my tiredness, I wasn't able to be drawn into this film like I was with the others. Still not a bad entry to end the series, but this is personally my least favorite of them all, I think. I might give it another try when I'm in a better state of mind. It has its shining moments, though.

==========================
The Creature-Meter (Movie Rating Scale/System, for your reference)
10 (A+) 9.5 (A) 9 (A-) 8.5 (B+) 8 (B) 7.5 (B-) 7 (C+)
6.5 (C) 6 (C-) 5.5 (D+) 5 (D) 4.5 (D-)
4, 3, 2 = Fail!
1 = Pitiful, the worst, a disease of a movie, etc., etc

Last edited by The Creature (2014-02-28 13:27:39)

Night of the Seagulls was actually my second favourite of the bunch, after the original.

Monster Club (1980).

8/10.

I saw this movie years and years ago, but the Stuart Whitman cannibal story still scares me. I never watch it at night with the lights turned off. big_smile

Bad Milo. The creature effects were decent, the concept wore out fast though.

Piranha 3DD-  Awful in just about every imaginable way but it is at least hilarious and entertaining. 5/10

^^^
Exactly!!! Which is why I loved it. big_smile

The Creature, I dig The Ghost Galleon so much it's mad. A very cool one. Damn I'm pissed because I asked my DVD store just minutes ago if they could order Blind Dead but they said they didn't have it in their catalog. Suckers. Tired of living in a third world city. roll

kXnPunk wrote:

^^^
I'm so jealous of you guys with Blind Dead. Can't find it here. Well should say I don't find ANYTHING. roll

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3R3Y2eiRrI4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KVtx-mki6I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enyxABQ7LcE

Not all of them, but it's a start.

Ragnbone wrote:

@ Toadliquor - The Thing from Another World.  It was based on the 1938 novella "Who Goes There?" by John W. Campbell (writing under the pseudonym of Don A. Stuart).  - Wiki.   In the 1951 film, the Thing was a humanoid plant creature.    Carpenter's film actually was closer to the book because the thing took over the likeness of those it killed so it could be anyone, and there was a lot of paranoia involved.

I noticed in the opening credits that it was based on "Who Goes There?".  I'm almost compelled to check it out since two of my favorite movies were born from it. BUt it would be really hard for me to actually read it since I'm not a fan of fiction, and sci-fi makes me itch.

Theli wrote:

Night of the Seagulls was actually my second favourite of the bunch, after the original.

Yeah, I'm thinking I'll give it another watch some other day when I'm more awake. Even after approx. 8 hours of sleep and a 1 1/2 hour nap, I'm still drowsy.

^^^
Man, MORE COFFEE!!! lol

Yeah saw these ones already but thanks anyways...

Watching a Naschy flick called The Curse of The Devil from 1973. 

It's another in the series of Waldemar Daninsky werewolf movies.  Funny thing, Naschy made a ton of these and I don't believe any of them are in a series or are strictly sequels.  I've seen one where he was bitten by a Yeti and turned into a Werewolf, in this one he's transformed because of a curse.   

Plus Naschy was an intense horror actor, playing the Werewolf character (among others) more times than anyone else in history.  He plays his Werewolf like it's got rabies or something.

Naschy films remind me of Hammer movies and have a lot of gothic atmosphere.  Most of these movies don't make a lot of sense, but they're pretty fun to watch.

I don't know about anyone else, but Paul Naschy reminds me of John Belushi.

Last edited by Ragnbone (2014-02-28 17:42:26)