Re: Last horror movie you watched?

Just saw the Tall Man as well....really enjoyed it! Think the trailer is miseleading. More mystery thriller then horror but that's ok. I love when a movie takes a complete turn and then you're like WTF! Good story and nicely original! Oh an no f-ing shaky hand held camera moments or found footage! LOL! Don't expect a lot of scares really but just enjoy the atmosphere and story!

7/10

JoeTerror wrote:

V/H/S was on HDNet Movies last night. OMG! This sucked!! Stories were lame, acting dreadful. The only thing going for it some of the special effects were pretty good. I'm really getting tired of these found footage films! Some of the stories would have been more scary had there not been the grainy, shaking all over the place, hand held camera filmmaking. Major disappointment!!!!

PLEASE don't make a sequel D/V/D!!!!

2/10

Bummer. I was really looking forward to checking this flick out. I've slowly been getting into some found footage flicks, but it's really hit or miss. I dig the Paranormal Activity movies, 4th Kind and the Last Exorcism. But they all kept the shaky camera to a minimum and had some original ideas and execution. I never did get into Blair Witch Project, but it's grown from absolute hate to acceptance and toleration. Cloverfield on the other hand was complete crap, nothing redeeming about it.

Edit: actually Diary of the Dead was pretty entertaining too.

Last edited by Theli (2012-10-04 18:56:27)

Theli wrote:

Bummer. I was really looking forward to checking this flick out. I've slowly been getting into some found footage flicks, but it's really hit or miss. I dig the Paranormal Activity movies, 4th Kind and the Last Exorcism. But they all kept the shaky camera to a minimum and had some original ideas and execution. I never did get into Blair Witch Project, but it's grown from absolute hate to acceptance and toleration. Cloverfield on the other hand was complete crap, nothing redeeming about it.

Edit: actually Diary of the Dead was pretty entertaining too.

I didn't like V/H/S as well, good to average to boring, but if you want to see some really good found footage, watch Apartment 143 aka Emergo. In my opinion the best since Blair Witch Project.

Grave Encounters 2 - Not bad.. A really Meta movie. I didn't think the first was that great but I think this one had a much more solid story.. The only problem I have with found footage movies in general is.. Why the fuck would you keep recording when your friends are dying all around you?

By the way V/H/S was pretty shitty.. It had about two good segments.. The actual surrounding story was a good idea...

Atrocious (2010) An other one of those found footage flicks.  I really enjoyed it although the end was a little disappointing. I'd give it a 6/10  Didn't bother me at all to read subtitles bc it kept my interest.

Haunting In Connecticut 2009
Pretty damn cool film. Liked how Virginia Madsen played her role. Koteas was freaking cool too. Weird story but very enjoyable. 7/10

The Horror Show (1989).  Blech.  Nowhere NEAR as good as I remembered it.

I re-watched Nosferatu '22 again. It never gets old. The pacing in Nosferatu is impeccable, a very important feature in silent classics. I love how in many scenes Count Orlok just seems to appear from the shadows, especially the first scene in which Hutter meets him. I love the shots of the Slovakian countryside and the delapidated castle, they're absolutely captivating.

Stir of Echoes (1999) - Hadn't seen this one in a while. Really like it, nice and creepy. Kevin Bacon is great in it. 8/10

Bedevilled. The two major pluses for me in regard to this film are the amazing acting and very interesting, engaging characters. 9/10

Last edited by Vasquez (2012-10-05 13:59:41)

after talking so muhc about it yesterday, I just watched Nosferatu again

Theli wrote:

I re-watched Nosferatu '22 again. It never gets old. The pacing in Nosferatu is impeccable, a very important feature in silent classics. I love how in many scenes Count Orlok just seems to appear from the shadows, especially the first scene in which Hutter meets him. I love the shots of the Slovakian countryside and the delapidated castle, they're absolutely captivating.

Seems lik my scariest classic horror thread ushed you guys into atching this again. Probably.

The Item (2001) - Four homicidal felons are hired by an unknown client to purchase a case containing an item and guard it for 24 hours until the client can retrieve it.  But when their curiosity gets the best of them and they open the case, all hell breaks loose.  Not at all what I was expecting, and not in a good way.  A strange flick that is definitely different from the synopsis that I read for it.  It did have some entertaining bits, but overall, it was pretty weak.  1.5/5.

Sinister (2012) Really disappointing. I was really looking forward to this movie.

The most of scary scenes were see in the trailer, I did not find them scary at all in the movie,
there are some two good scenes that I  really enjoyed that made ME jump and creepy me out just little. (Thankfully they were not in the trailer) 

There something, i Just found unrealistic, Main lead hears loud noise but no ones else seem to hear, even the  next night,  when he falls, makes noise and starts screaming really loud, No one else seem  to here or come by after he fall thought the floor!

The other thing that really annoyed me was really loud shouting scenes, it was over the top and was not needed at all.

This movie as Nothing we not really see before in pass horror movies,
For this me kinda drag little, I was nodding of little in parts.  when you know the whole story,  the movie way get to predicable.

They even copy  scene from  Insidious,    talking about Insidious was not big fan of it but I Would watch that over this any day.

5 out of 10

^Damn another new movie I was looking forward too checking out. Sounds like this October is failing with it's current horror flicks.

A Lost Boy wrote:

Seems lik my scariest classic horror thread ushed you guys into atching this again. Probably.

I had it on the list to watch this October, but the discussion definitely made me bump it up to "next to watch". An absolute classic as far as I am concerned. I've watched it every October for as far back as I can remember.

Last edited by Theli (2012-10-05 15:09:13)

The Barrens - Its a movie about a family that goes into the Pine Barrens in New Jersey. Then they are stalked by the Jersey Devil.

OK flick. Not the best and the ending is a little odd. Takes a couple weird turns as well..

6/10

The omen

Silent House.. What a boring piece of shit. This thing drags forever with no scares to be had. I really like the concept of one continuous shot. This was just really really bad.

^^^
I enjoyed it very much. I loved the slowness. And the ending was wild as mad. And I really liked the way Elizabeth played it. But hey to each his own tastes.

The Blob (1988): I must say first that this film IS!... one of the best horror film remakes ever made.
The film was pretty weird with the opening title makes it looks like a sci-fi kid's horror TV-Show episode lol and the ending with the music makes it looks like a family horror film.
It was terrifying with awesome gore make-up and effects, and ot was great that the creature takes sometimes unique forms depends on it's survival condition not like a mess of barf that I thought it would be.
It also has elements of these "public, commnicating horror films" in which in this film some people have very long scene and they soon die (I feel bad for Paul).
I also wondered why other young actors received nominations in this film I mean I think Kevin Dillon, Amanda Young (calling her like that is better than Shawnee Smith) and Donovan Leitch should be the only young actors who will get stuffs like that.
I also think that Brian Flagg merely resembles Michael Myers err... I mean Emerson sorry...
Overal this film has some terrifying moments with the help of the "gore w/ scares" thing and some solid teen slasher-ish acting. I give this film a 7.5/10 I mean you guys gotta catch this film!

Children Of The Corn (1984): I honestly don't want to be a part of their cult I must say...
This movie was promptly one of the weirdess Stephen King adaptation I've seen. It has a kinda western movie feeling in it (Must be the color and "the emptiness" of Gatlin).
It wasn't a bad film at all. It was pretty much suspenful. Not really scary but it is still "scary".
I also got the word "cult" in my mind watching this film must be because of the film color was soo... Lunchtime? Yeah lol I honestly dunno why.
It was rather disturbing more than scary at the part where the girl at the end credit proceed to drink the blood of the B-Day Boy that was... honestly... eew... (I found it "scary" lol)
This film features two of the most evil kids in horror film history:
Malachai (original name there):

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_SI72Qn7mM5Y/S_Qqh-gK5HI/AAAAAAAAAPc/ECSb4ulJOYM/s320/malachaimustaine.jpg

Damn red-hair like this guy are scary.

And Isaac Croner (Can't believe the small guy who portrayed him was like... I dunno... over twenty or something?):

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_8PSapdHUZTc/TRNxX3PUwJI/AAAAAAAAA4M/QavQcSR_fgc/s1600/Isaac+-+%2527A+colheita+maldita%2527+%25281984%2529.png

Creepy kids...

I hated the fact that He Who Walks Behind The Rows was a supernatural demon who only seemingly appears at near the end of the film and was not terrifying as I thought he would be.
I hated the fact that Linda Hamilton kissed another guy before with Michael Biehn. Poor guy, but it's okay I mean Peter Horton wasn't bad at all.
And what the hell is with that ending!? LOL
Overal I liked this film fairly well, not to good, not to bad but rather go on to the "Good Side".
So it will receive a 7.2/10. Mercy point there.

Last edited by A Lost Boy (2012-10-06 10:52:34)

Grave Encounters 2 - I was really looking forward to this one but it didn't live up to its predecessor. For reference, I rated Grave Encounters to be an 8/10 (quite generous, but then again it was one of the few found footage flicks I've actually liked).

The opening was poor, even a little insulting to the viewers, and far too meta for its own good. It was screaming "Book of Shadows" to me. So after about 30 minutes of dull character development you finally get to the location and that's when the movie actually begins.

Some scares were okay, but it just didn't feel as good. Not enough creepiness, just LOUD NOISES, things moving around - nothing too spooky. There were a few good scenes that I enjoyed (the best of which you'll see coming, but still very cool) despite overall being a subpar sequel. 6/10 - but if you didn't like the first one, I wouldn't recommend it.

Great classic A Lost Boy. Been a while I haven't watched it. Guess I'll do it soon. Into this kinda mood right now.

Last night I rewatched the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre which is the first ever movie I saw in my life. I was young [about8-10] when it showed on TV and it creeped the H3LL out of me. But at the same time, I enjoyed it very much. Now last night, I wasn't as afraid as I was then but it's still pretty damn creepy. Just that like it way more than in those days. I wasn't used to Horror movies then. lol

But yeah what a GREAT amazing movie. It's a 10/10 for me. And I don't care if others agree or not. That's MY rating. Hahaha

Last edited by kXnPunk (2012-10-06 11:49:14)

Battle: Los Angeles (2011)
http://images.sodahead.com/polls/002632327/battle-76082024863_xlarge.jpeg
This movie was more of a tribute to the Marines. The whole alien invasion thing was meant to give them an enemy without making it political in any way. I myself thought it was good, If you were in the military like me maybe you just like it more, I don't know. Not to say that if you weren't in the military you can't enjoy the movie but overall I thought it was a great alien invasion movie and I thought Aaron Eckhart did a great job as well and I couldn't help but think of Harvey Dent whenever I saw him on screen. It really makes you think that maybe their is another life form out their and that they could be making their attack any minute.

8/10

kXnPunk wrote:

Last night I rewatched the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre which is the first ever movie I saw in my life. I was young [about8-10] when it showed on TV and it creeped the H3LL out of me. But at the same time, I enjoyed it very much. Now last night, I wasn't as afraid as I was then but it's still pretty damn creepy. Just that like it way more than in those days. I wasn't used to Horror movies then. lol

But yeah what a GREAT amazing movie. It's a 10/10 for me. And I don't care if others agree or not. That's MY rating. Hahaha

I'd rate it 10/10 too, it's one of the classics that's just too amazing.

The very last scene is just horrifying (to me), Leatherface in the middle of the road swinging the chainsaw around and around. It just portrays him as this crazy guy, which he is. I love that movie.