Re: Last horror movie you watched?

Wrong Turn 5 = This was a chore to get through.. The "hillbillies" in this one looked awful. The whole film was just terrible.. By FAR the worst in the franchise.. I hope they stop now.

ghost watcher (2002) budget horror, couple of decent moments but otherwise one to avoid 1/10

Just finished watching Nosferatu: The Vampyre for the second time. I remembered enjoying Werner Herzog's remake of Nosferatu, but I was surprised at how much I liked it on the second viewing. It seems to get better with repeated viewings. It follows a similar story as the original Nosferatu, but because it was not hampered by the copyright problems that the first film was, it is able to use the actual character names from Dracula. Nonetheless a few names are changed, the events take place in Wismar similar to Wisborg in the original Nosferatu, but for some reason Lucy and Mina's names are reversed. The movie has great cinematography and has some great shots of the wilderness and wildlife. It's great to see a real live bat instead of the same old stage prop. The movie often has similar effects and scenes as the original and shadows and lighting play just as important a role in the films visual display. Klaus Kinski plays an absolutely fantastic Dracula and has the genuine creepiness that only Max Schrek could match. Isabelle Adjani plays an absolutely sumptuous Lucy too. Dracula's castle is perfect too, dark, delapidated and full of shadows. My only complaint is the somewhat goofy ending. Nonetheless it's an overall fantastic movie.

Back From Hell
4/10

Leigh Whannell's Saw (2004): One of the greatest horror films ever made in the 21st century in my opinion, also one of the scariest flicks.
This movie, not like most critics have described, have lots of things combined together to make on of the very best horror films of all time!
It has an amazingly recognizable soundtrack which is creepy and catchy at the same time, it really depicts the mood and elements of the movie.
It is a pure gore-fest, mind-**** (or psychological horror) and crime all combined together to make this hyper-scary film.
The whole film was filled with top notch acting from it's own screenwriter and Cary Elwes and also got awesome lines (not really famous but they were cool).
Potentially a re-watchable film, I mean even the sequels directed by Darren Lynn Bousman were good, not really an interesting film to own on DVD and not really a masterpiece but it is atleast comparable to one!
I'll give this total gore-fest mind-**** a good 9.3/10 through it seemingly deviates a lil' bit from normal horror films it is still a must-see for all horror movie fans.

John Carpenter's The Thing (1982) - 10/10 a classic film, one that stays on your mind... this is what horror is all about.

Friday The 13th (1980) - 7/10 sorry people, This franchise is overrated. BUT it is still a must watch for horror fans.

From Beyond (1986) - 9.7/10 Holy Shit. Another great movie from Stuart Gordon. Can their be a better actor than Jeffrey Combs? Brilliant.

Last edited by Psycho97 (2012-10-19 12:57:07)

Night of the Creeps.  It was so good I might just watch it again tonight.

Goon wrote:

Wrong Turn 5 = This was a chore to get through.. The "hillbillies" in this one looked awful. The whole film was just terrible.. By FAR the worst in the franchise.. I hope they stop now.

A prequel has been revealed to be in the works.

Goon wrote:

I agree it is the worst in the franchise. Though as i said it had some of the most absurd and fun deaths e.g the football field scene (one of my favs from the franchise), there weren't enough of them and even by straight to DVD standards the story/narrative was very weak and made the thing a chore to get through. On a side note it was pretty obvious the town was a set. The typical teenage cannon fodder were also particularly annoying and some of the characters actions very stupid.

Goon wrote:

Chromeskull: Laid to Lest 2 - Now this was much better than the first film.. I wasn't really a fan of the first flick but this one was really good. The kills were creative and the gore was good. The ending has me excited for another sequel.

I was really surprised by this Laid to rest, this had some really good nasty gory scenes in this movie, kind of makes the man in mask a lot more scarier.

it was decent for slasher movie, there was good intense moment in this movie, which it makes feels really dark at time.

I gave first movie 8 out of 10

i Been giving Laid to rest 2 a watch tonight.

Killer Joe (2011) - In debt to a local thug and fearing for his life, Chris hatches a plan to murder his evil mother and collect the insurance money.  Enlisting the help of his father, they reach an agreement with Killer Joe to carry out the hit.  But wanting payment up front for his services, Killer Joe decides to keep Chris' sister Dottie as a retainter until he is paid.  Of course, once the plan is set in motion, there is no going back for Chris' family, even when things don't go according to plan.  A very well done thriller from William Friedkin with plenty of dark humor.  Plus, Dottie is a little hottie.  A very entertaining watch.  4/5.

Psycho97 wrote:

John Carpenter's The Thing (1982) - 10/10 a classic film, one that stays on your mind... this is what horror is all about.

Friday The 13th (1980) - 8.5/10 sorry people, This franchise is overrated. BUT it is still a must watch for horror fans.

From Beyond (1986) - 9.4/10 Holy Shit. Another great movie from Stuart Gordon. Can their be a better actor than Jeffrey Combs? Brilliant.

Can't disagree with you about the Thing, one of the best. Also I can't disagree with you about F13, except for I wouldn't have rated it quite so high, 85% is still an A. And From Beyond I haven't seen and was trying to track down yesterday, to no avail.

Psycho (1960)

9.7/10

Psycho97 wrote:

From Beyond (1986) - 9.4/10 Holy Shit. Another great movie from Stuart Gordon. Can their be a better actor than Jeffrey Combs? Brilliant.

Yeah, great little flick.  And if you like Combs, check out Castle Freak from 1995.  Another excellent Stuart Gordon flick with a stellar Combs performance.

House on Haunted Hill (1959)

7.5/10

LoudLon wrote:
Psycho97 wrote:

Yeah, great little flick.  And if you like Combs, check out Castle Freak from 1995.  Another excellent Stuart Gordon flick with a stellar Combs performance.

Am I perveted or is the most clear image I can remember from that flick Barbara Crampton dressing up in a domimatrix outfit. lol

Last edited by Vasquez (2012-10-18 17:39:13)

Yours and mine both, man.  Well, that, Ken Foree skeletonized and Combs sucking someone's eyeball out of their head. lol

HO HO HO! Sint was bloody good fun! Much better, in fact way better then Rare Exports!

Sint 8/10
Sint Trailer

The Hole - was hoping this would be as fun as some of Joe Dante's classics but it was far from it. Oh well.

THe Hole 4/10
Trailer

BTW not that you have to but it would be great if we started posting links to the trailers, I've heard of most generally but sometimes I have to look them up and it would be cool to just copy or click a link to the trailer.

Oh forgot watched the Loved Ones for like the 3rd time! LOL! Loved it! A friend watched it with me and she kept covering her face! LOL!

Loved Ones 9/10
Trailer

Last edited by JoeTerror (2012-10-18 18:45:57)

High Tension [Switchblade Romance]
What a fantastic movie it is. And it bears it's name very well as it's full of it. Wild performance by cute miss De France.
Best ever from Aja I've seen. Even better than his Hills Have Eyes.
Yup great time I spent once again. Like every time.
9/10

Last edited by kXnPunk (2012-10-18 20:05:44)

Malevolence (2003) 6.5/10

It wasn't bad; it had a pretty neat ending.

Last edited by Closet Monster (2012-10-19 14:29:35)

^^
Hi Closet Monster.  Feel free to post at the Introduce Yourself thread.
big_smile

Silent Hill (2006).  Still one of the better video-game adaptations and the cinematography is gorgeous.

Thanks for the invite, azathoth.

^^
Not to mention the FX.  You should see some of the special features.  The one about the bathroom monster was great.

Paranormal Activity 4 - 6/10 - As much as I wanted to like this one it just felt like there really wasn't anything new in it.