Re: Last horror movie you watched?

Last night I watched Puppet Master and Rawhead Rex.

I have yet to read the source material for Rawhead Rex so I'm not really sure why Clive Barker disdains this adaptation so much, but I like this movie quite a bit. Overall I would say that this is probably my second favorite (behind Hellraiser) film adaptation of a Clive Barker story. It's got a unique story and a very cool setting. This movie definitely merits a rating above the 4.3 it currently has on IMDb.

^^
The book had a good bit more depth of story to it.

Here is a good review of the film, including an examination of the differences between the story and film.  Fairly quick read.  I also love Rex, it just has a nice visceral feel to it.

http://www.the-losthighway.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/rawhead1.jpg

Last edited by azathoth (2012-11-15 19:50:17)

^^
Pretty interesting.

That review really echoes my sentiments about Barker adaptations in general. Cabal/Nightbreed is another example of what that review was talking about. The plots are almost identical but much of the theme is missing from the film. However, Nightbreed, much like Rawhead Rex stands on its own and will only disappoint you if you have read the book before viewing the movie. Unfortunately, this will likely keep happening with Barker adaptations as long as they are being made with a theatrical release in mind. The themes of his stories are almost invariably the kind of stuff that no western production company would be willing to put their name to.

Actually, I don't mind really mind the movie adaptions.  When you start doing King, Barker, Lovecraft, etc., you know there is going to be stuff changed or missing, just because of the source material and/or budget/technical limitations.  If the movie is done well, like Re-Animator or From Beyond (rather short stories), and basically adheres to the idea, I'm OK with that.  Same with Cabal and Rex.

My posts are kind of messing up for some reason? Anyway this was in reply to whoever watched Excision. Saw it recently too and liked it a lot. Had kind of a Tales From the Crypt vibe I thought and wasn't nearly as grotesque as some of the reviews made it out to be. A quirky, somewhat gruesome tale.

Last edited by JoeTerror (2012-11-15 21:28:58)

azathoth wrote:

Actually, I don't mind really mind the movie adaptions.  When you start doing King, Barker, Lovecraft, etc., you know there is going to be stuff changed or missing, just because of the source material and/or budget/technical limitations.  If the movie is done well, like Re-Animator or From Beyond (rather short stories), and basically adheres to the idea, I'm OK with that.  Same with Cabal and Rex.

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong, I enjoy the film adaptations as well. I can definitely see why some wouldn't though despite the fact that faithful book-to-movie adaptations are the exception rather than the rule.

@Joe- it's a bug that happens in spurts, usually when The Boss is working on the code for the site.

@60053- Did you know your name is the zip code for Milton Grove, Illinois?

horrorgirl wrote:

Excision (2012)- I really liked this one.  AnnaLynne McCord was amazing as the main character. Traci Lords plays her mother and John Waters and Malcolm McDowell make brief appearances in it. The movie has a good amount of gore in some dream sequence parts. I was really impressed with it, especially since it is the director, Ricky Bates Jr., first directorial debut. 7.5/10

I admit that I'm a HUUUGE Traci fan. H3LL she rules so much.

FRIDAY THE 13TH 1980 666/10

Another time this amazing classic.
So incredible story, images,and acting is beyond our galaxy. Really out of this world.
Mister Footloose and Tremors is sooooooo good. I mean, look at his face on that pict, so much emotions. That's the key to great acting, just plain old emotions...
http://evilkxnpunkdemon.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/kevinbaconfriday13th.jpg?w=549&h=411

Last edited by kXnPunk (2012-11-15 23:45:43)

azathoth wrote:

@60053- Did you know your name is the zip code for Milton Grove, Illinois?

Haha, no I did not. Just to clear up any confusion anyone may be having it's just a l33t spelling of "Goose".

^^
I look up the weirdest things sometimes. big_smile

^^^
I concur!!!

Trick R Treat (2007) 7.9/10 - This movie was very good. And the most intriguing movie in the past few years, it was very good. Although, I have a few complaints. A lot of it didn't really fit together to me... Why the hell did those hot chicks turn into those vampires? I thought the movie was about the principal killer. They should have made three separate stories for the vampire ladies, the principal, and the school bus massacre imo. It didn't all go together to me.

^^
I have nothing to say about this movie.
Just ANNA PAQUIN!!!

Agreed, punk brother

Psycho97 wrote:

Trick R Treat (2007) 7.9/10 - This movie was very good. And the most intriguing movie in the past few years, it was very good. Although, I have a few complaints. A lot of it didn't really fit together to me... Why the hell did those hot chicks turn into those vampires? I thought the movie was about the principal killer. They should have made three separate stories for the vampire ladies, the principal, and the school bus massacre imo. It didn't all go together to me.

It was an episodic horror movie that involved five interwoven stories, interwoven in that they all occured on the same night and in the same town, but each was unique and independent of the others.

The Possession of Joel Delaney (1972) - When her younger brother is arrested for attacking his building superintendent, single mother and New York socialite Norah Benson rescues him from the psychiatric hospital and takes him into her home.  But as his behavior becomes more erratic and bizarre, she begins to suspect that the cause may lie in his dabblings in Santeria and his Puerto Rican friend who was suspected of several guresome ritual murders.  Definitely a slow burn with not a ton of action, but an interesting story and terrific performances by Perry King and Shirley Maclain.  And it predates The Exorcist as far as possession flicks go.  3/5.

Touch of Death (1988) - Lester Parsons is a bored middle aged gigalo with a taste for ugly wealthy woment, games of chance and human flesh.  Scanning the personal ads, he finds new victims to feed his growing gambling addiction and his hunger.  But can the police catch up to him before his debt collectors or his own concious can.  A goofy Lucio Fulci flick with some nice dark humor and cheesy gore effects.  Bad, but still semi-entertaining.  2/5.

alien25 wrote:

It was an episodic horror movie that involved five interwoven stories, interwoven in that they all occured on the same night and in the same town, but each was unique and independent of the others.

oh okay, for some reason I thought they were all supposed to be one story

Last edited by Psycho97 (2012-11-16 14:14:06)

^Yeah, it was more like an anthology, along the lines of a Creep Show.

I feel like an idiot now, lol. It seems like a lot better of a movie now neutral

^Don't be so hard on yourself.  The way the movie unfolds, it is easy to see why one would think that there is a connection between all of the stories.  Perhaps that is part of the reason that it took them forever to release the movie. smile

60053 wrote:

Last night I watched Puppet Master and Rawhead Rex.

Gonna give Rawhead Rex a watch, never seen it before.

Silent Night, Deadly Night Part 2 (1987) 

This must be the cheapest sequel ever,  75 % of the movie, was  just flashback to  the first movie, They even go to cinema to watch first movie, are you kidding me!

Now Ricky the ones who's controls.  the naughty list, who ever he thinks he been naughty will be killed

The deaths scenes in this movie not as good as first movie but there are some worth watching death scenes in this movie

The acting from whole cast was really wooden, , then ending was okay-ish it kinda of fit with ended of the first movie.

2 out of 10

Actually, Trick 'r Treat does relate all 4 stories; it took me a 2nd watch to catch them all.

The Pumpkin Carver and Halloween H20, SyFy is having a mini-marathon of movies today.  I'll give both of them a 6, above average but not special.

The Fly (1958). 8/10

Machete. Officially the most entertaining and over the top bit of fun I've watched in a while. It gave me a whole new respect for Rodriguez. As a storyline goes, it's not that difficult, or complicated, or even has any real story at all. The little in jokes about mexicans were a nice touch. The violence just couldn't get any better, it was like watching a revenge movie on speed! All star cast, wafer thin storyline, more blood shed than you can shake a stick at and Danny Trejo? Hell yeah I'm in! 10/10 (no really i love this shit)

The Crazies remake. I loved it. It was a great story with great scenes. I liked the characters, which is rare for a virus movie. I liked it. It was the first horror movie my other half bought for himself (he's turning I can see it!). I enjoyed it quite a bit! 7/10

Drag me to hell. I love Raimi. Simply, I love him. Fucking genius. The ruler hitting the car window won it for me at that very moment I was gonna like this film. I had the most fun watching this. My sister actually told me to watch it even though I'd been meaning to for a while. She's 13 and was at a kids sleepover with her friends. My mum made her turn it off because 5/6 of the girls were literally green! I had to watch it then! Don't take it seriously and you'll love it. Only thing that was a bit disappointing, No Campbell cameo! 9/10

I have been a busy girl wink One more....

Reeker 2. Predictable, mostly slow but it was alright. I did get it for £1 from the £1 shop on halloween I wasn't expecting much. It was alright if you just want something to watch. 5/10

I just watched 30 minutes of Twilight on FX, and good is it awful. It's nothing more than a teenage drama flick thrown in with a sparkly bullemic and a shirtless d-bag with a rat looking wig. Can't forget Kristen "Bland Face" Stewart.

2/10