Re: Last horror movie you watched?

Gremlins!

I haven't seen this timeless classic in quite awhile. It was refreshing watching it again. smile

The ABCs of Death

When was the last time you watched a movie with 26 directors doing individual segments? Because if you haven’t (and most likely haven’t), then The ABCs of Death is a horror film you do not want to miss!

The ABCs of Death is a horror anthology movie, were every director in the movie makes their own small segment. The movies main premise is it has a short horror story that begins with every letter of the alphabet. It starts at A and goes all the way to Z, with each short segment very different to each other.

Also with The ABCs of Death is that not every segment is shot the same way, some are very different and don’t even use real people and instead use clay animation (claymation). Other shorts are animation, and some just use weird effects. Overall, you get a bunch of different stuff.

The directors that took part in this film are all up and coming horror directors, and really span all across the globe. Some faces you may recognize are Ti West (The House of the Devil, The Innkeepers, V/H/S), Adam Wingard (Autoerotic, You’re Next, V/H/S) and Yūdai Yamaguchi (Deadball, Yakuza Weapon). You really get a bunch of different directors from all around the world and each have different (great) ways of telling a short horror story.

One of The ABCs of Death’s faults could also be considered one of its positives to some people. The thing about The ABCs of Death is you don’t get any underlying story, kind of the ‘main story’ for an anthology movie that you may get in other anthology movies. The movie starts straight off with the letter ‘A’ and that’s it. Though I think it’s good that there is no ‘main story’ per say, I think there could of been a better intro to the movie.

Of course with an anthology with as much segments as this one, you will have some bad ones. But in The ABCs of Death there is very few bad segments, the movie definitely ends on a low point with the letter ‘Z’ (by far the worst segment of them all) with Jon Schnepp’s ‘W’ and Noboru Iguchi’s ‘F’ following close behind. Apart from them three main suspects, there really isn’t any other bad segments. Some are very, very weird like ‘K’ and ‘H’ but still are very fun and enjoyable.

The movies most impressive segments would be ‘M’ which is directed by Ti West, it’s extremely short (probably the shortest of the whole movie) but it has that wow factor that West normally gives in his films. Another great segment would be ‘T’ which is directed by Lee Hardcastle, I can’t dive into much detail but it’s very weird and very funny (and shot great too). One of the other stand out segments would be ‘Q’, which again is shot in a very funny manner and isn’t something to be expected. Along with these there is ‘G’, ‘O’ and ‘X’ that all are great as well. Most segments are very funny, weird and shocking but all in the good way.

The ABCs of Death is not your everyday normal horror anthology movie, it’s really far from it. It’s a film that is just about sitting back, turning your brain off and enjoying a film that is going to gross you out multiple times, make you say ‘wow’ numerous times and most of all, make you say “What the f***?” The ABCs of Death is an overall great movie.

F is for Fun.

Rating: 9/10

Prometheus (2012) - My first watch since seeing it in the theater. I enjoyed it a bit more this round, my complaint before was that technically it was a very well made film but the story was more elaborate than I was expecting/hoping for. I still feel that way but all the pieces came together much better this viewing. Ridley does a spot on job creating tension during several scenes and the movie is pretty well paced with plenty of sci/fi and horror elements. Definitely in my top 5 from last year.

8/10

Dagon - first time watch. I thought it was a really cool story but after hearing about how gory it was I was hoping for more than two gore scenes.7/10

Scavenger of Human Sorrow wrote:

The ABCs of Death

When was the last time you watched a movie with 26 directors doing individual segments? Because if you haven’t (and most likely haven’t), then The ABCs of Death is a horror film you do not want to miss!

The ABCs of Death is a horror anthology movie, were every director in the movie makes their own small segment. The movies main premise is it has a short horror story that begins with every letter of the alphabet. It starts at A and goes all the way to Z, with each short segment very different to each other.

Also with The ABCs of Death is that not every segment is shot the same way, some are very different and don’t even use real people and instead use clay animation (claymation). Other shorts are animation, and some just use weird effects. Overall, you get a bunch of different stuff.

The directors that took part in this film are all up and coming horror directors, and really span all across the globe. Some faces you may recognize are Ti West (The House of the Devil, The Innkeepers, V/H/S), Adam Wingard (Autoerotic, You’re Next, V/H/S) and Yūdai Yamaguchi (Deadball, Yakuza Weapon). You really get a bunch of different directors from all around the world and each have different (great) ways of telling a short horror story.

One of The ABCs of Death’s faults could also be considered one of its positives to some people. The thing about The ABCs of Death is you don’t get any underlying story, kind of the ‘main story’ for an anthology movie that you may get in other anthology movies. The movie starts straight off with the letter ‘A’ and that’s it. Though I think it’s good that there is no ‘main story’ per say, I think there could of been a better intro to the movie.

Of course with an anthology with as much segments as this one, you will have some bad ones. But in The ABCs of Death there is very few bad segments, the movie definitely ends on a low point with the letter ‘Z’ (by far the worst segment of them all) with Jon Schnepp’s ‘W’ and Noboru Iguchi’s ‘F’ following close behind. Apart from them three main suspects, there really isn’t any other bad segments. Some are very, very weird like ‘K’ and ‘H’ but still are very fun and enjoyable.

The movies most impressive segments would be ‘M’ which is directed by Ti West, it’s extremely short (probably the shortest of the whole movie) but it has that wow factor that West normally gives in his films. Another great segment would be ‘T’ which is directed by Lee Hardcastle, I can’t dive into much detail but it’s very weird and very funny (and shot great too). One of the other stand out segments would be ‘Q’, which again is shot in a very funny manner and isn’t something to be expected. Along with these there is ‘G’, ‘O’ and ‘X’ that all are great as well. Most segments are very funny, weird and shocking but all in the good way.

The ABCs of Death is not your everyday normal horror anthology movie, it’s really far from it. It’s a film that is just about sitting back, turning your brain off and enjoying a film that is going to gross you out multiple times, make you say ‘wow’ numerous times and most of all, make you say “What the f***?” The ABCs of Death is an overall great movie.

F is for Fun.

Very enjoyable review mister.
Makes me wanna watch it even more than I was before reading it and man, been waiting a long time for this movie.
Can't wait!!!

The Collection (2012)

Enjoyed the first one and thought this was a good sequel. It stepped up the scope, but I feel it lost some of the tension along with that shift. Fun to watch, especially if you liked the first, though it may be slightly divisive.

I'm not sure whether this is necessarily a negative point, but the movie only clocked in at about 1h 13 minutes before the credits rolled. That's too short for a movie, yet it felt somewhat appropriate for The Collection - nothing too unnecessary, things kept moving well enough. I would have preferred it to be bulked out with some more slower/tenser scenes, especially around the middle of the movie, but that's only a minor gripe. Liked the ending too.

7/10

i spit on your grave.i did not like this revenge movie

kXnPunk wrote:
Scavenger of Human Sorrow wrote:

The ABCs of Death

F is for Fun.

Very enjoyable review mister.
Makes me wanna watch it even more than I was before reading it and man, been waiting a long time for this movie.
Can't wait!!!

2 bad its only on the Itunes US Store sad

^It is out there Vas if you do some digging. wink

The ABC's of Death (2012) - The first five segments were fantastic (a, b, and c being rhe best) and after that is all weird randomness or just plain nasty L in particular. After E there are honestly only a couple segments worth seeing, T is rhe only one that comes to mind at the moment, it was a very cool clamation short. So aside from a few very creative and well done segments all I got was thrown together weird, or downright goofy segments. It's pretty disappointing really, it honesty seemed that some of the directors didnt put much tbought at all into there stories and just threw something together last minute. Includint Ti West, his was only a little over a minute and stupid as hell. Its still worth a look based on the strength of the few good segments.

6/10

The First Power (1990)

A killer is given the gas chamber after committing several demonic murders. His spirit is released and given power by the Devil. Now the cop that caught him before must find a way to do it ..

This was more of Thriller  then horror movie but saying there were some strange things that happened in this movie.

I thought this movie was full of some really good actions scenes, some really strange fights scenes in this movie.

Those back flips were good  however after  a bit a felt the story could have ended to sooner then it did,  the last half of the movie felt like it lost something, I liked the start of the movie, it was like edge of the seat stuff, the movies loses that in second half.

The ending was could be a much better then it was, I found it a bit of a cop out in the end.

Not sure what to rate at the moment.

Ghoulies (1985)

This movie came on late last night.   

I knew the movie was going to be bad but well it was really bad but what Did not like

it was never really about  Ghoulies at all , it more about person who gets the power

We do get these Ghoulies , all different from one and other but there don't really attack anyone  until about the Hour mark.

The attack scenes were a little tame and effects were not too bad but watchable in this movie

I did like as the plot of the movie went at all, I wanted more of Ghoulies but it all about the person who had the power.

I expecting something bad and that what I got!

2 out of 10

House of Whipcord

Interesting tale that makes you think about the nature of crime and punishment. If you forget about the naked, chained-up women being flayed by other women, of course o_o

It was nicely shot but fairly exploitative and could have done with being a good 20 minutes shorter. 5/10

case 39

not so horror but a good movie to watch.

Feast (2005) - Been awhile since I last watched this one, still super fun splattery goodness!

8/10

ChainSaW80 wrote:

Includint Ti West, his was only a little over a minute

Quality over quantity.

^^ I didn't like it, there was nothing shocking about it for me honestly, my sister had a miscarage, a friend just had a miscadage, its not really shocking or disturbing...its just something that happens...but whatever floats your boat as they say.

The Thing (2011) - I still really like this one, it delievered pretty much what I expected and I liked the creature effects, not perfection but nothing ever is.

8/10

^ How many people do you know that have a miscarriage that way? It's not the actual thing of having a miscarriage, it's the way it happened for her in the film. It has a shock value to it, he gets to the point fast in his short, it doesn't need to be ten minutes to explain what he did in around a minute. That's my point (in my original post), not what actually happens (as you complained about the length).

*******POSSSIBLE SPOILERS*******

^ I stated the length, not necessarily complained...I have personally known no one to have a miscarage in the toilet, but I wouldnt be suprised in the least that its happened. But thats besides the point, my point is that the image he portrays at the end is not going to be shocking to anyone that so much as has a hemroid, when he zooms in on the toilet it looks to me like nothing more than bloody stool and wadded toilet paper, I didn't have a clue what it was suppose to be until I seen what his letter was. Not trying to contradict your opinion, sir...mine just happens to differ from yours.

The Thing (1982) - It was cool to watch this right after the prequel. I saw the amount of attention to detail the makers of the prequel actually put into it, they did a pretty solid job. And I actually think it compliments JC's version quite well. 

9/10

Last edited by ChainSaW80 (2013-02-02 20:19:05)

Hellraiser: Bloodline

ABSENTIA
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1610996/reference

Freaking Damn H3LL of a movie. Wow!!!
Everything was nice. But the story is truely amazing.
Me enjoyed a lot. 666/10

Thanks to Punk watching these last week, i figured I'd watch them again too big_smile
Underworld
Underworld: Evolution

Evolution is definitely my favorite.
Markus is freaking the BADDEST and EVILEST of them all.

You're welcome Dark Flying Miss from the Moon. big_smile

‡-‡-‡-‡-‡-‡-‡-‡-‡-‡-‡-‡-‡-‡-‡-‡-‡-‡-‡-‡-‡-‡-‡

And

Happy

SIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINday

You

ALL!!!

lol

Last edited by kXnPunk (2013-02-03 07:51:00)

The Perfect House (2010) - This one just came out on VOD feb 1st. Its anotber indie that has been in distribution lingo for over a year.  You can seen it on amazon instant for $1.99, its certainly worth that. Its an anthology of sorts and sbows the unfortunate event that take place at the house over a span of 40 or so years. It features Jonathan Tierston and Fellisa Rose of Sleepaway Camp fame. Its quite brutal and the segment with Tierston boasts some ve. Funny black humor.

7/10

The possession: Supposedly based upon a true story. A little girl buys a box at a yard sale. Upon opening the box, she begins to act odd, and do things that are not in her nature. After beating up a kid at school, dad becomes suspicious that it is the box that's causing the behaviors. The father does some research on the box and finds out that it's haunted, and just plain evil.

I really wanted to like the movie, but was not able to. I didn't hate it either. Just thought it was a o.k movie. IMO there were too many: how come they...? Or why didn't...? I'm not giving it a negative review. Nor a very positive one. Just glad I didn't shell out my hard earned pesos to see it at the theater. On the other hand, it was worth the $1.26 I paid to rent it.

5/10

Universal original monster movie marathon!

Watched:
The Wolf Man
The Mummy
Creature from the Black Lagoon (probably my 10th time watching)
Frankenstein
Bride of Frankenstein