Re: Last horror movie you watched?

Theli wrote:
HorrorQueen17 wrote:
Theli wrote:

Maybe it's just me, but does Britain have a fear of it's minors? There's so many movies from there about violent youths.

It's becoming somewhat of a culture in Britain Theli, for certain disenfranchised groups of young people to be feared. We have a relatively high proportion of youth unemployment and crime, which is creating waves of fear amongst members of the public. I work with young people and a lot of them are from broken homes and have committed crime, and our media is always ramping up the fear of 'hoodies'. So it's a sort of two way thing; young people are doing bad things, but in turn can't really escape those situations because of the massive stigma attached to them.

I hear you! It just doesn't seem healthy demonize ones own youth, I guess it sells the morning rag though.

I completely agree with you. I'm not excusing the behaviour, but society at large definitely plays a role here. I didn't really love Eden Lake, I found all of the characters lacking in anything that made me like them even a bit, and they make some spectacularly stupid decisions. I can accept that in a slasher but in this it felt too odd. The only bit I liked really was the ending!

I just watched The Faculty and I really enjoyed it. I'd been put off seeing it because of the sci-fi tag it carries (not a sci-fi fan) but I'm really glad I decided to go with it anyway because it was thoroughly enjoyable!

BAM!
Golem gets 491 TTs because I say so!

HorrorQueen17 wrote:
Theli wrote:
HorrorQueen17 wrote:

It's becoming somewhat of a culture in Britain Theli, for certain disenfranchised groups of young people to be feared. We have a relatively high proportion of youth unemployment and crime, which is creating waves of fear amongst members of the public. I work with young people and a lot of them are from broken homes and have committed crime, and our media is always ramping up the fear of 'hoodies'. So it's a sort of two way thing; young people are doing bad things, but in turn can't really escape those situations because of the massive stigma attached to them.

I hear you! It just doesn't seem healthy demonize ones own youth, I guess it sells the morning rag though.

I completely agree with you. I'm not excusing the behaviour, but society at large definitely plays a role here. I didn't really love Eden Lake, I found all of the characters lacking in anything that made me like them even a bit, and they make some spectacularly stupid decisions. I can accept that in a slasher but in this it felt too odd. The only bit I liked really was the ending!

I just watched The Faculty and I really enjoyed it. I'd been put off seeing it because of the sci-fi tag it carries (not a sci-fi fan) but I'm really glad I decided to go with it anyway because it was thoroughly enjoyable!

I find that the youth of a country are often smarter than our political leaders sometimes who follow their parties ideology and own causs no matter how much damage they do. e.g Iraq War.

HQ & I just finished watching Street Trash (1987/88). 
We are still in awe of the Bagheaded Knight with Chicken Trousers that can Walk Through Windows.

(yeah, that happened)

Damn.  I love Street Trash.  If I'd had access to my own computer I'd have sat in with you guys, but I made the mistake of turning my mom on to the show Arrow, and she sat at my PC and watched the first five episodes straight. lol

^^
Don't worry, we're planning on getting a group watching of it sometime in the near future.  It must be shared!

Sounds like a must see movie! big_smile

Just re-watched a couple of flicks.

First on the list was A Nightmare on Elm Street 2. It's been a while since I'd seen this one. I don't know if I noticed all the gay connotations the first time, but on this viewing it seemed obvious, though apparently unintentional. Some really cool surrealistic scenes, which part of the reason I've always liked the Nightmare series more than other slashers. Wtaching the main character come unhinged is cool. It's not as scary as the original, but it's still enjoyable.

Second up was Dead of Night this morning. It'd been a little while since watching it, and I think I liked it more upon a second watching. There's some pretty creepy stories in this anthology, and one rather silly one. I think my favourite of the bunch is the one of the man who receives a mirror as a gift. The other great thing about this movie is the surrounding story, it's simple but well done. I love the nightmare sequence at the end of the flick too, the dummy is just creepy.

Subconscious - Director's Cut (2010) - Since losing his family in a car accident Fanis is tormented by recurring nightmares in which he comes across a religious shrine deep in the woods.  When he meets Girl 7 on the internet, he hopes that she will be able to help him unravel the meaning behind the nightmares and put an end to them once and for all.  Yet another found footage entry, this one hailing from Greece.  An interesting film that doesn't follow the typical FF storylines, but unfortunately, I didn't find it to be particularly creepy or scary.  I have to give cedit to the film maker however for at least trying to do something creative and original in the FF subgenre instead of following the standard formula like so many others have tried to do.  Apparently, the writer/director has had difficulty getting the film released, so he posted his director's cut to Vimeo.  So if anyone is interested in checking it out I will put the link below.  3/5.

http://vimeo.com/59005722

After 13 Assassins, I clicked on this action/horror film called Samurai Princess. Not even finished and it's so weird. Apparently the title character is a MECCA, a "franken-droid", and she's seeking revenge for the rape and murders of her friends. That's pretty much it. I love that it just screams low budget. I'm not getting any "da f*ck is dis?!" type of feelings from it. I'm actually interested in where it goes.

Dead of Night (1977)

Another horror anthology movie,  Not to be confused with the 1945 version with the same title (which is also an anthology),

First story, I was watching on my Phone, While I was on the Bus, as the movie is on you tube.

Second Chance"   I not sure think of this story, it did make me think for few hours after wards ,I liked how the story flowed.

This man buys classic car and fix up and then takes for Drive only find out that he as somehow went back in time.

While back time, The Car he was driving is taken by someone, who he tries stop, soon walks back and then wake up , Knowing he back in really time.

He falls love with Girl he never noticed before (That was first hint) Which I didn't get at the time but as the story went, it made more sense.

I thought this was very decent story, it wasn't scary at all but It' did make we think and the acting was really good.

Next story No Such Thing as a Vampire"

(I hope I don't sound like broken record, As you know i am not big fan vamps movie)

Patrick Macnee as a doctor whose wife is suffering from the symptoms of vampire attacks.

I found this story decent, there were some cool decent and creepy moment in this short that made really well.

The music in this segment was okay as it added bit more creepy feel to the story and I really enjoyed how the story came to a end 

Bobby - (This is where Trilogy of terror 2 got this from)   

This is was lot more slowly paced then ^ Movie named there  and it did have bit more creepy feel to it.

I liked how they try not show the face of kids though out the segment, it makes it feel a lot more darker,

I loved end of this short, now that is what you call decent Demon face, as that looks at more scary, then end of  Trilogy of terror 2  Bobby segment.

7 out of 10

Really good anthology 

(The zombies ate half my post lol )

Which of Bobby's Demon Face looks better
http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii267/LuigiBastardo/DeadOfNight-03.jpg
or
http://www.deadfilm.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/3.-Bobby.jpg

Last edited by BASSI (2013-03-15 18:10:22)

Last night before I went to sleep, that was on TV.

RESIDENT EVIL EXTINCTION

I'm a huge Res Evil fan but this one is my favorite of them all.
Claire appears, Carlos and L,J. are Back, K-Mart is VERY cool,  the Zombie beast in this one is extremely badass and the crows are freaking awesome. I like the power Alice have got in this one.
666.666.666/10

The Bride of Frankenstein: I know it's not a horror film, yet I still thought this was a more appropriate thread to post it.

This film still stands strong.  I hadn't watched it for quite some time, and it brought back some great memories of when I was frozen to the t.v set when first watching it as a child.  My only wish is that the bride had been in it longer.
8/10

Just watched Hellraiser on Thursday and love it. Really effective combination of both atmospheric and gruesome, disturbing visuals. Overall a 9/10.

Then last night I watched the sequel - Hellraiser 2: Hellbound - and felt at the halfway point the total opposite. The way the director explored the concepts central to the  story - hell - etc looked actually quite goofy to me and I thought the narrative was a total mess and just confusing. The strength of the first one was the combination of the, in contrast subte atmospheric visuals and storytelling - excluding the gore. I am kinda surprised at the sequel to be honest. I have heard from quite a few people that they think it is actually superior to the first. For me however it gets a 3/10

Underdog wrote:

The Bride of Frankenstein: I know it's not a horror film, yet I still thought this was a more appropriate thread to post it.

This film still stands strong.  I hadn't watched it for quite some time, and it brought back some great memories of when I was frozen to the t.v set when first watching it as a child.  My only wish is that the bride had been in it longer.
8/10

Not a horror. Are u MAD!. True it obviously doesn't hold the power that it had on it's initial 1930's audience but that doesn't mean it isn't a a horror film though. Its a classic of the genre, surely?

Underdog wrote:

Not Horror??? If Frankenstein isn't Horror then I don't know what is.

This movie is one of my classics favorites. Fantastic.

@Vas-
If you want some more backstory/atmosphere in the Hellraiser universe, you should check out Hellraiser: Bloodlines.  Just ignore the space station part (what a mess), the origin story is great.

The Devil Inside 6/10
The Amittyville Horror II: Possession It was cheesy.

Vasquez wrote:
Underdog wrote:

8/10

Not a horror. Are u MAD!. True it obviously doesn't hold the power that it had on it's initial 1930's audience but that doesn't mean it isn't a a horror film though. Its a classic of the genre, surely?

Ok...ok...it's horror. What was I thinking???! smile

Grave encounters 2
It grows on you stick with it...it will keep growing on youuuu 4/5

Sounds like I need to check out Dead of Night (1977), I'm on a bit of an Anthology kick now.

"See No Evil" ( 2006) It was ok 6/10

The Haunting in Connecticut 2: Ghosts of Georgia 2013

The Mangler - Has both a haunted fridge and a haunted laundry folding machine in the same movie LOL Not a bad movie, the acting is pretty bad in spots and it's hard to take the plot seriously, but the gore effects were pretty good. 6/10

Woman in Black.  I have mixed feelings on it.  6/10
Silent Hill 2.  Not as good as the first.  6/10

I thought Silent Hill 2 sucked big time.