Re: campfire tale

Rick followed John. He thought about the story John had just told him. He wondered how much of it was true and couldnt help but take a REAL look at the rundown park. He scanned the boarded up buildings and past the rusted Ferris Wheel. . He wondered where this "Pirates Cave " was .  He caught up with John
"Hey John, how about we go take a look at this ride you were telling me about ? "

"Sure" John replied. They made their way to the front gate. Linda and Julie were sitting on the turnstiles opposite each other chatting away.  Ryan stood behind them pulling in a cooler and locking the fence gate.  Rick observing Ryan closing the gate protested "you mean we didn’t have to jump the fence?" John looked at him and smiled then turned to the new arrivals "Ladies glad you could make it!" "Don’t forget about me, I’ve got the beer!" Ryan said as he approached carrying the large cooler with ease. "I was talking to you too" john said looking up to make sure Ryan saw his face, he wanted to make sure the big lug knew he was kidding around. 

Julie jumped down and dusted off her homemade jean shorts then grabbed a white backpack decorated in black marker. "Well it’s going to be dark soon let’s get this party started" she said looking at John as if no one else was around.

Last edited by swollenguy (2010-09-30 16:25:51)

Julie intertwined her arms with John and walked with him. John smiled at her and turned to everyone, "hey how about we party at the  haunted "Pirates Cave " ?  Rick shouted his approval . The Rest of them cheered and they made their way to the attraction,

The group followed John down a dusty blacktop trial. "I don’t know if it’s the joint we smoked on the way here but this place is trippy." Linda said while looking at the abandoned snack bars and dilapidated rides they were passing. "No this place is trippy, stoned or not." Rick replied. Rick was reminded of a swing set and slide he used to drive by, it sat out in a field by an abandoned school. Something about the combination of such desolate and happy places creep’ed him out.

The giant concrete planters were overgrown with weeds head high giving the path a maze like feeling in some parts. Then they pasted a fountain and there it was, a wood facade with a mural of a pirate raid. The paintings detail was that of the old carnie rides from the turn of the century. One could imagine the generations of little imaginations that got lost in it while they waited excitedly in line.

Rick eager for his first peek jumped the turnstile and walked through the doorway above it a chipped wooden skull and cross bones. Inside the ceiling was black cloth, once sun shade but no longer did it do its job even against the dimming light. A green waterway ran past a loading dock into the cave. The cave opening looked like a giant rock skull. Some boats were stacked in the waiting area. To the side a maintenance ramp led to a foot path that followed the side of the stream.

the rest of the group just watched Rick in a daze until he shouted " Come on !  what are you waiting for ?? " 
Julie squeezed John's hand and he told her " Relax , babe.. I wont let anything happen to you  and smiled ...but Julie saw emotion  flicker past John's eyes that made her uneasy.

They lit their laterns and stepped inside.
As they walked in a row they all looked at the old run down animatronics that stood eerily still and dusty. Pirates frozen with jugs of rum held high. Broken hooks waved at passengers long gone.  But the eyes still seemed alive despite the years of dust on them .

soon they came to an part of the ride that was obviously the cave full of pirate 's treasures. Tarnished gold and jewels lay in piles. Open treasure boxes strewn apart- full of cobwebs. Skeleton protuded from the fake sand.
They decided to take a break and have a few beers at this spot.

Rick threw a beer at John, " hey buddy why dont you tell us the story of what happened here ? "

John cracked open his beer , took a sip. paused to look at them all and began to tell them the story. . . .

"If you want to know what actually happened to those people, well I don’t got a clue. There are all kinds of theories, there’s one that’s more fucked then the rest of em, one that used to keep me up at night when I first heard it as a kid." Johnny tossed a stone into the water then turned back to his audience with an uncomfortable grin.  "That’s the one I want to hear." said Rick not too sure about the statement as he surveyed his surroundings.

"Well." john said "It goes like this, there was this retarded boy named Billy king, he got a job doing janitorial work at the park through his sister, a ticket taker. He was picked on by just about everyone at the park but his sister. One night while in this cave he broke down after a particular brutal hazing and he swore to the havens" John paused than looked around the cave then went on "He yelled why doesn’t anyone like me, why can’t I just have some friends?" Something moved in the darkness but nobody noticed john continued.  "Billy heard a voice black as the shadows, I’m your friend Billy it said. This cave became icy and the devil himself rose out of the water just as Billy yelled. He visited Billy that night and told Billy he would have friends." John pointed at one of the pirate figures "but they needed blood."

"After that night Billy picked his victims carefully for a nitwit, he brought them here to be ate by them." John pointed again "at night a party could be heard from the cave but when security would check the sounds stopped and no trace of anyone but the pirates. Then on the night of the incident Billy and his sis came here on their day off, they got on that boat and while riding she asked why he didn’t get along with anyone, told him he wasn’t trying. Billy got angry said he had friends and would prove it." Something dripped in the water behind Ryan, John stopped to try and see but couldn’t focus. Julie asked "well that’s pretty detailed, if they were on the boat how did the story get out?" John smiled again "I don’t know it’s just a story."

Rick finished another beer and threw the can at  one of the pirates near the bend  in  the stream. This pirates had a sword in his hand and  the can clinked off it.   " whoa ! excellent pitch.  too bad the batter can't swing worth a damn ! " he laughed a drunken laugh. " I gotta go take a piss " he said and stood up .  John told him he shouldnt go alone.
" Why ?  Im not afarid of Billy's 'friends' !!  "  he laughed and stumbled into the darkness.  John just watched him and shook his head.

Once alone though , Rick didnt find the pirates very funny.. in fact they were downright weird looking.  Rick swore he heard movement behind him.  He figured it was just John trying to scare him..  He heard a crunch of the gravel floor  near him. He turned to see a sword swoosh by his face and backed into the cave wall. His scream froze in his throat.  He couldn't believe his eyes.  The pirate with he sword was standing before him. arm raised with sword. before Rick could utter a word or comprehend what was happening the pirate took off his head.  As his head rolled on the floor , His eyes blinked in shock as he saw the pirate greedily drink from Rick's bloody neck

No one seemed to notice or care Rick wasn’t coming back. John figured with all of his enthusiasm he was probably exploring. 

Ryan said "How about some toons."  Julie dug in her bag and handed him her iPod and doc. Ryan put it on a dusty fiberglass rum barrel then sat on the cooler to figure it out. "How do you turn this thing on?" He called out frustrated just then Linda perched in his lap and asked coyly "you need help tuning something on?" Julie took Johns arm and whispered that was their clue to go explore.

She and John walked around the bend leading to the next ride scene. As they made the corner just out of sight of their friends Julie jumped letting out a little scream. To her left were two dark figures on a ledge a few feet above the path. John shined the lantern to reveal two pirates posed to look like they were ready to ambush the next boat. One was tall and skinny with a crooked nose, a big hope earring, and a bandanna on top of his head. He didn’t hold a weapon but his long boney fingers were menacing enough. The other was short and portly with a shaggy red beard, he held a wooden club.

Julie examined the figures, their expression locked faces looked very real but she felt like you could tell they were modeled of or by a different generation. But it was the eyes that give her the creeps the most, she couldn’t tell if it was the way they set back from the face or their blackness. As Julie reached out to touch the tall ones cheek John asked they keep going. there was something in his voice that made her pull her hand back.

Last edited by swollenguy (2010-10-01 14:18:52)

as they walked away a slight creak was barely audible as the figure's face slowly turned to watch them.. to the right shadows shifted..

As they reached the part of the ride that was supposed to be moonlit swampy area with a fake dock and barrels.  John took an old tarp and laid it down and pulled Julie down on top of him. as he took off her blouse she moaned with anticipation. .

somewhere in the cave someone screamed.

" What was that ?? " Julie said as she held her blouse next to her chest, barely covering her exposed nipples.
John mumbled not to worry as he buried his face in her breasts. She pushed him back and insisted they check it out. John took one last look at her , then reluctantly agreed.

Julie wanted to go back to the treasure cave and pulled john along..
When they got there the music was playing, but there was no one there.. AS they looked around the cave ,Julie slipped and lost her footing. As she got up she saw her hands were covered in blood.  She sat up and thats when she noticed Ryan's body --or what was left of him. He was stacked over next to some barrels.. his arms and legs torn from his body. his torso just a mangeled stump and the spout from one of the barrels was protruding from his belly.. it had dripped blood and thats what she had slipped on.  Julie SCREAMED and turned towards John...

Last edited by MistressOf Horror (2010-10-01 15:50:43)

Hey keep writing this is really interesting I would buy it if I read the back cover but keep going

To her horror the tall pirate she had seen before had him. One of its long boney hands was wrapped around John’s throat. It moved without sound, its movement’s were as if it was still part of the ride. It moved puppet like, an imitation of natural but completely unnatural. Its head swiveled in that inhuman way as it affixed its gaze on her.  With the tall pirates iron grip John couldn’t scream, he could hardly breathe and the fight was going from him. Frozen with fear Julie watched the pirate take it’s free hand and push his long fingers into John’s side with the ease of a child digging into a birthday cake. John quivered while the pirate pulled a hand of entrails to its mouth.

Gathering herself Julie looked towards the way her and her friends came in. a shot of pain and white light as the plump pirates club smashed her nose, she fell back. The pirate continued the pummeling relentlessly, finally stopping when Julie lay still drifting in and out of consciousness.

She felt a stubby hand on her ankle, she was being dragged.

Last edited by swollenguy (2010-10-01 17:32:50)

The man glanced out the window. That damn was barking again. Must be the groundhog under the porch. he went int the kitchen, grabbed the box of mothballs out of the cupboard and stopped. The dog was no longer barking.
    Strange, he thought. he stepped out the door on to the back porch. Looking out into the yard, he realized the dog was gone. As he started down the steps,he heard a low growl.
He turned to look and as he did claws wrapped around his leg . he opened his mouth to scream and the groundhogs buried their long sharp teeth into his throat and belly. As he died, the mothballs spilled onto the ground , drenched in blood.

-myteemouth rules

myteemouth rules wrote:

The man glanced out the window. That damn was barking again. Must be the groundhog under the porch. he went int the kitchen, grabbed the box of mothballs out of the cupboard and stopped. The dog was no longer barking.
    Strange, he thought. he stepped out the door on to the back porch. Looking out into the yard, he realized the dog was gone. As he started down the steps,he heard a low growl.
He turned to look and as he did claws wrapped around his leg . he opened his mouth to scream and the groundhogs buried their long sharp teeth into his throat and belly. As he died, the mothballs spilled onto the ground , drenched in blood.

-myteemouth rules

short and sweet

swollenguy wrote:

To her horror the tall pirate she had seen before had him. One of its long boney hands was wrapped around John’s throat. It moved without sound, its movement’s were as if it was still part of the ride. It moved puppet like, an imitation of natural but completely unnatural. Its head swiveled in that inhuman way as it affixed its gaze on her.  With the tall pirates iron grip John couldn’t scream, he could hardly breathe and the fight was going from him. Frozen with fear Julie watched the pirate take it’s free hand and push his long fingers into John’s side with the ease of a child digging into a birthday cake. John quivered while the pirate pulled a hand of entrails to its mouth.

Gathering herself Julie looked towards the way her and her friends came in. a shot of pain and white light as the plump pirates club smashed her nose, she fell back. The pirate continued the pummeling relentlessly, finally stopping when Julie lay still drifting in and out of consciousness.

She felt a stubby hand on her ankle, she was being dragged.

she felt the world spin and go black.  When she awoke she was strapped to a table.  All around there were dirty goblets and silverwear on the table , along with bloody body parts.  The pirates we all seated at the table, frozen puppet like faces , with eyes gleening with bloodlust. they all turned to the head of the table. Julie strained to see. It was a man, dressed in a old dirty captain's coat. He looked quite insane.

"Welcome to the Capatin Billy's dinner. My friends have brought you especially for me. You are the guest of honor "Julie screamed in horror as he raised a cleaver to her foot and said " Dig in boys "

Last edited by MistressOf Horror (2010-10-04 12:54:13)

I love it!!^

Oct 31 1983

Some of the trees were already void of leaves and skeletal like, the rest were full of yellows and orange. William thought Mother Nature had done a wonderful job decorating for his favorite holiday. The air was still a little warm and the afternoon sun was a deep golden of fall not the harsh white of summertime.

He was on his way home from CJ’s Pharmacy downtown. He had picked up the final touches for his costume, some scar putty and a tube of fake blood. He smiled as he walked from the side walk to his driveway looking at the package containing a little plastic dish of flesh colored wax, the man on the packaging displaying an impressive bleeding gash. It was going to be perfect for his ghoul costume.

William was ecstatic he was going trick or treating tonight with his classmates John and Freddy, for the first time there would be no parents or older siblings, just him and his buddies. Besides going out by themselves, this was a special night because this could very well be their last night of trick or treating, they were in sixth grade now and next year would be teenagers in middle school.

He turned to see where the sun was before going in the house. He wanted to be back out in costume for dusk, which was William's most beloved part of a autumn  day, better get ready pretty soon he told himself.

(I have no idea where I am going with this just wanted to do homage to everyone’s favorite holiday. Anyone feel inspired please add. )

Last edited by swollenguy (2010-10-04 15:43:53)

William went straight for his room but in his excitement forgot about the squeaky spot in the floor in front of his mom’s door. His mom was at her doorway already dressed in her nursing uniform before he reached the doorknob to his room. "Sweetie, I know your excited about tonight but don’t forget to eat some dinner before you go, there is some pot roast in the fridge, I don’t want you just eating crap all night." "Ok mom" William responded as he changed directions for the kitchen.  Just as he was about to pass she stopped him by putting her hand on his shoulder. "Please be careful tonight it is supposed to be a full moon and all of the weirdo’s will be out, trust me I’ll see em tonight at the ER." "We will be careful mom and stick together just like we talked about." William said in his best attempt at a reassuring voice.  "And don’t forget I want you back home by nine thirty" he heard her say as he continued towards the kitchen.

After his mom left for work William got ready to go. He put a bowl of candy in the lap of the stuffed Frankenstein’s monster he had made for the bench by the front door. He then put on his homemade zombie outfit which consisted of old cut to look tattered clothes and face paint. He was very happy with how it turned out with the exception of the scare putty which didn’t stick very well to his skin.  After locking the garage he jumped on his bike and headed off to Freddie’s.

He rode down his quiet leaf strewn street, he was happy to see the low hanging sun had given him a long creepy shadow. There was a sense in the air that the things that go bump in the night would be coming out to play and he felt like one of them.

Last edited by swollenguy (2010-10-04 18:24:23)

William passed other kids already in costume.  Kids who were perhaps 5 or 6 yrs old. Spiderman, a princess , and a clown . Excited to be wearing their costumes and recieving sweet treats. Their watchful parents hovered behind them, giving them a sense of freedom . William was glad he was on his own this year. no supervision, no kiddie costume.

Suddenly he felt a hand grab his shoulder from behind him. The hand was gray and had bloody smears  It was John dressed as a zombie. complete with fake entrails and bloody wounds on his neck. .  "Whoa ! cool costume ! " 
William noticed that John had a grin underneath all that zombie make up. " Hey , Freddy said he wanted to go to a different neighborhood this year , because he says ours is so boring. " William was excited at the thought but remembered his mother's warning .  They walked to Freddy's house and he was already waiting for them on the porch. Holding a lumpy pillowcase and a flashlight.
He jumped his fence when he saw them. He pulled down his werewolf mask . " Finally ! Come on, My older brother says the neighborhood over at the end of town has the best candy "
"Wait, " William said, " the end of town near the cemetary ? "

I think your story is really good! keep writing

“Yeah, all those houses over there are big and old. My mom calls the people that live over there old money and my brother says that means they’re rich and give out the good stuff!” Freddy said very happy with his idea. William thought about the houses over there, they were big and old and he felt creepy. But tonight was supposed to be memorable. The idea of the old district with that cemetery right in the middle sounded like the right stuff for their last Halloween. “Sounds good let’s go!” exclaimed William.

The sun was just about down, the warm yellows replaced by soft blues. The street lights weren’t yet on but the pumpkins were starting to glow. Plastic skeletons hung from doors and witches from the trees. Patches of little monsters ran down the sidewalks and driveways. The smell only candles inside pumpkins can make filled the air as two ghouls and a werewolf rode their bikes under a rising moon.

Swollenguy, Mistress, you guys are awesome. You're inspiring me to finish my novel.

^ Very cool, thanks! ^

as they trick or treated their way down the streets, they noticed how the streetlights were few and far between now. The houses were older and bigger. The porches didnt have plastic decorations or hokey lights. these houses had real lanterns, haystacks and elaborate jack-o-lanterns.  And Freddy's brother was right. These houses gave out the best candy. some of these candies William had never heard of.  and they got handfuls of it. Soon their pillowcases were getting heavy.

They got to the section of houses directly across the street from the graveyard.  These were old Victorian style homes the oldest in town. These houses originally belonged to the rich farm owners that started the town. They once sat in the middle of orchards and beautiful gardens. Through the years that land was sold and subdivided. At first glance in the dark the graveyard looked almost like a park across the street from them. But the ornate stone monuments and mausoleums gave no illusion.   The cemetery was small and had a waste high iron fence. No one had been buried there in twenty years since the new memorial park was built outside of town.

All of these houses were gated and most unlit and forbidding. “Maybe we should keep going, no one has their lights on.” William said. The creepy cemetery aside this block did not feel inviting to him. Freddy said “that one does” pointing towards the center of the block where a single house had lights on and a jack-o-lantern illuminating the porch. The boys walked towards it using their bike handlebars to bare the loads of their candy sacks. A carpet of fog slowly crept through the graveyard onto the street.

Out of the corner of his eye Freddy noticed a light floating in the graveyard, when he turned it was gone. He was frightened that if he spooked his friends they would want to turn around, so he didn’t mention it. The boys parked their bikes against the fence. Freddy gave William the nod to open the gate; it was more of a dare then suggestion.  A old hurricane lamp on a table illuminated one of the upstairs windows. The rest of the windows upstairs and down had curtains drawn.  The only other light came from the large Jack-o-Lantern which lit the  porch.

“Come on guys.” John said, noticing their hesitation he pushed his friends forward. They gathered on the porch ready to leave before they got there.  Freddy faking confidence knocked on the door.

Last edited by swollenguy (2010-10-11 11:46:14)