Topic: Some people don't realize that Scarface 1983 was a remake.

It amazes me that people think it's original, IT ISN'T! it's a remake of the 1932 gangster movie with Paul Muini and Boris Karloff.

Re: Some people don't realize that Scarface 1983 was a remake.

Yeah we got that impression from the last thread you posted about it
Yesterday hmm

Scarface sucks anyways so who cares

I can’t believe how many people especially in hip hop idolize Tony Montana’s character when the other guy (I think he’s name was Sosa) had Tony wacked with a snap of his finger. Everyone’s impressed by Tony going out in a coked out blaze with a big gun and they dont seem to pay attention to the fact Tony’s a best friend , sister killing punk.

Sosa’s got the big gun plus tanks.  He also has hordes of assassins he can send 7 days a week 365 days a year to take out punks like Tony. It takes military action to take guys like him and Escobar (who he’s probably based on) out. if Sosa didn’t take out Tony and he lived to lose his money he would probably end up selling his ass to support his drug habit.

This rant was caused by the many episodes of cribs were a  framed poster of Tony is hanging on the wall. If you going to make an asshole your hero at least make the one that’s at the top of his game.

Last edited by swollenguy (2010-03-15 14:33:46)

Say Swollen, would you say the same about the Emos and Nightmare Before Christmas being a stereotype too?

Hip-Hoppers also love The Godfather and they idolize the don himself and Al's character.

Yup, that's true. Howard Hawks film I think.

I don’t know about the TNBC connection, I am not nor ever been emo or goth myself and love that movie even saw it opening night back when I was in Jr high.
As for the god father Pacino’s character is the man, he’s intelligent, cold, and cunning But the point to my rant was Tony is a coked out moron just cause he has big balls doesn’t change that.  And it’s not just hip hop guys, I’ve seen Tony’s poster on rocker, motor cross guys walls as well. Just seems misdirected unless they do idolize being a drug addicted self destructive a hole. The whole point of the gangsters mentality is the end justifies the means and there was only one way it could end for Tony.

Most people like Tony for the same reason I do. He doesn't take shit. He's nothing but a ignorant, greedy criminal but he didn't kiss anyones ass and he feared no one. This eventually lead to his death, but at least he died with a huge set of balls. Stupid? Yes. But I respect his character. If I would have been in his same situation towards the end of the movie, I would have done the exact same thing. Tell the high and mighty to go fuck themselves and to come get some if they want it. I sure as hell wouldn't coward down and give in to any Man. I would die first. So hell yeah, I'll hang that crazy motherfuckers picture on my wall.

Last edited by Suspiria_89 (2010-03-15 23:24:09)

Yeah, I saw the original years ago. I do like De Palma's version better, it's actually one of the few gangster movies that I actually like. They all are about the same thing anyways, so you may as well just watch the handful of good ones.