Topic: What is your explanation for the ending of Martyrs? ***SPOILERS***

I've watched the movie twice now and I still don't have a solid opinion about why the old lady shot herself. At first I was thinking that maybe she was told that there is nothing after death and she couldn't take it so she killed herself, but that can't be it because I think she was listening to the poor young woman for a couple of hours, so she couldn't have just been told  that there is nothing after death.

Maybe she was told that there are terrible horrors awaiting us after death, but if that's the case then why would you be in a rush to get there and kill yourself?

Then maybe she was told about how great life after death is and she was in a rush to get there, so the old lady killed herself, but first told Etienne to keep doubting just so that nobody else would kill themselves in a rush to get to the after life. Though that doesn't really sit well with me either.

Does anyone have a solid belief in what the ending meant?

Re: What is your explanation for the ending of Martyrs? ***SPOILERS***

Religious fanaticism and science wasn't the way...it was too late for the changes that had to be made for the woman, which would be, release all holdings on self and let the higher Spiritual being have control. Some people just are too damn stubborn and cannot/refuse to to this. Even though she knew that there was so much more after death, she couldn't bear to live with that knowledge. neutral
That is truely a Horror wink

thedeadshallrule wrote:

Religious fanaticism and science wasn't the way...it was too late for the changes that had to be made for the woman, which would be, release all holdings on self and let the higher Spiritual being have control. Some people just are too damn stubborn and cannot/refuse to to this. Even though she knew that there was so much more after death, she couldn't bear to live with that knowledge. neutral
That is truely a Horror wink

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-gen053.gifNicely put TDSR

the madame exclaims to her male cohort before shooting herself, "Keep doubting"

I took this to likely mean that she was told that there is no afterlife by Anna and out of the despair of realizing she's spent her life torturing people for nothing, commits suicide.
The keep doubting comment, for me, really seems to punctuate the fact that she was told that nothing lies beyond - of course this is subjective and viewers can come to other conclusions, one of the many reasons why this film is so effective and thought provoking.
And, depending on your view, the madame could easily be seen as becoming a martyr herself in a sense.  It's really deep shit LOL

If you think about it, the Madame's suicide pretty much ensures that there couldn't be life after death.  Because if there were, she certainly would not kill herself knowing full well that she had doomed herself to an eternity in purgatory.

deadhorse13 wrote:

the madame exclaims to her male cohort before shooting herself, "Keep doubting"

I took this to likely mean that she was told that there is no afterlife by Anna and out of the despair of realizing she's spent her life torturing people for nothing, commits suicide.
The keep doubting comment, for me, really seems to punctuate the fact that she was told that nothing lies beyond - of course this is subjective and viewers can come to other conclusions, one of the many reasons why this film is so effective and thought provoking.
And, depending on your view, the madame could easily be seen as becoming a martyr herself in a sense.  It's really deep shit LOL

This is also how I took it.

I actually think she got too know there was an afterlife but it was  based on the wrongdoings in youre life like a big scale no salvation or nothing
She then understood that she was screwed anyway and rather that she was going to live the rest off her life as a damned person with no chance off salvation

therfor the cryptic Keep doubting before she shoot herself.
Thanks too she didnt want the rest too know they where all damned with no chance off salvation.
Instead they could live the remaining years off theire life in doubt but still could accept what they didnt know  and maybe come too accept what they didnt know and be happy

Last edited by Grinded (2010-03-16 14:10:15)

I hope it meant they were all going to hell.

I believe that the afterlife that Anna saw was where she is with Lucie as a good memory. The evidence of there being an afterlife is nonexistent. Through guilt of destroying the loving bond between Lucie and Anna, Mademoiselle kills herself. the ending scene shows what is inside Anna's mind.(her playing with lucie as childhood friends) It is key. "keep doubting" means that she and ATN and others involved in ruining young women's lives will never reach the afterlife due to the lack of empathy or love they possess.

Last edited by metanoia2125 (2013-07-07 23:59:17)

The first time I watched it, I thought that Anna described a wonderful place beyond anything imaginable, and the woman shot herself so she could get there. The second time, I thought that Anna saw herself playing with Lucie as a young kid, as we see that footage as the credits rolled, but the woman killed herself because the afterlife would therefore be personal and that she spent her life torturing girls only to find that she'd never know her own afterlife until she got there. Now, after I've seen it a couple more times, I've decided on a theory which many people have give, that there is no afterlife, only the darkness, and that Mademoiselle kills herself because she spent her life torturing girls to get nowhere, and "keep doubting" means that there is no afterlife, but I still think it's possible that the other two theories I had in the past could be correct. I mean, there's obviously no correct answer because it's supposed to be a personal response to what you believe happened at the end.

It's open to interpretation on purpose. I, as an atheist, see it as a realization that there is nothing and that's why they kill themselves. At least that seems most likely in my mind. However it is just as viable that she describes hell and maybe somehow convinces her to kill herself. They do talk a while, but we have no idea what they are talking about, it could be anything.

My two cents: filmmakers lost sight of the message they set out to deliver and decided to say fuck it and tanked the ending.

I liked the ending, but that is a good theory.

LoudLon wrote:

My two cents: filmmakers lost sight of the message they set out to deliver and decided to say fuck it and tanked the ending.

My view on it.

the reason for  all horrible events, the hundreds women and children that were tortured is all leading to one philosophical  moment where the rich old people can know the truth about the after life.
the movie is leading us towards something that absolutely can not be delivered  !!
so it was very obvious to me that the old lady has to kill herself. But it is not because there is heaven or hell but because  unfortunately there is no writer, director or film maker that can deliver a 2 hour monolog about the after life. So it is a non- elegant, non- original way of ending the movie so I was bummed towards the end
my only question is what is the philosophical meaning behind the martyrdom in this movie?
The only contact I know of, is religious, but the whole movie is very un-religious so I don’t understand. If it is only about witnessing then they could have called it "witness"

Last edited by bunny007 (2013-10-18 19:02:52)

Baby_Firefly wrote:

I hope it meant they were all going to hell.

MY take on it...

ugh endings like this annoy me makes me feel like they just got lazy and lost direction and said fuck it let them not know wtf happend -_-

LoudLon wrote:

This man speaks the truth!

My thoughts on the ending were as follows:

As the credits began to roll, I looked up to the heavens and thanked whatever deity was up there for ending this abomination of a shitty movie.

I love open endings. I think they are hard to pull off convincingly, but this is one of those movies where it was almost inevitable, and thus worked.

I took it to mean, there is an afterlife, go ahead and keep doubting, but I'm skipping this to get straight to the good part.

But me, I'm and atheist. I'll keep doubting.

Okay, in my opinion the old lady shot herself because she discovered the only way she could reach the afterlife is by being tortured and dying a martyr. Only martyrs can be worthy to have the after life And She Is Not Willing To Do So. Hence she shot herself and doesn't want others to find out the way to get there. Selfish bitch right at the end.

Last edited by jianfei (2013-10-18 05:48:38)

In my Top 10 horror for sure this film is.

This is my interpretation -
All anna had at the end were memories she had retreated in her mind and let go of her physical body so as not to feel the pain she was enduring!  She told the old lady there was nothing...after spending so many years  trying to discover what wonders lay on the other side with absolute certainty the pain of a few would benefit the mass, 100% justifying to herself what she was doing was ok.  It is quite simply  the end for her knowing without doubt that there is nothing.
She can not go on living just to die and simply cease to be....... to her egotistical murdering mind, it is pointless. It would be her Hell. Each new day  would be another day of NO DOUBT of what lies beyond, she couldn't go on waiting just to die.  Hence saying  to Etiene...KEEP DOUBTING 

What I would like the end to mean:-
Anna has endured beyond suffering and retreated in her mind, closed the door on the physical being.  However she is still aware that she has been tortured beyond recognition...she doesn't know if theres life after death..HOW COULD SHE, SHE IS STILL ALIVE, her memories of happy times are what is separating her physical body from her conscious body!  she tells the old witch there is nothing because she knows this is ultimately the last thing she wants to hear, it would destroy her knowing she would just cease to exist and couldn't keep on living with the certainty that death is death.

^^^
Very interesting point of view... Thanks for sharing. smile
And wH3LLcome to the MADhouse.

Has the writer/director ever offered any clues ? I suppose he is the only one that would know the truth. But that aside, I really liked the ending..it parallels the ambiguous thoughts that most of us have about what is waiting for us in the afterlife. What made it such a good horror movie was that it mixed shockingly well done gore with a very different, unique unexpected reason behind it. I think if Ana was skinned alive by your average psycho killer (as what happens in most horror movies) the movie would lose much of my interest. The ending is not a problem, to the contrary, it is what saves the film from mediocrity and makes it thought provoking and memorable. The strange gathering of people in end reminded me of Rosemary's Baby; also a good movie-a lot less gore but a lot more suspense and twist. My only complaint about Martyrs was the use of the imaginary contorted woman....she is just a cliché a la The Ring and other not so great movies. It just takes away the realism and reminds you that you are watching a horror movie. Still, I loved this movie. The shocking reveal of what was done to Ana made me turn away and feel disgust- BRAVO ! That has never happened to me before watching a movie.

Last edited by Frankie (2014-01-03 19:13:29)