Topic: Metro 2033

I started a new game called Metro 2033 for xbox360 and so far so good.  With a big rash in post-apocalyptic games coming out lately, I wasnt sure how it would turn out but the time I have put in so far has been entertaining.  It takes place mostly in the Metro tunnels of Moscow but also heads out into the open as well.  Some interesting features to note that make the game different from some others:

There is no on screen hud.  So no health bar, no ammo bar, no on screen map, etc etc.  The supplement this with little things like being able to pull out a compass to see where you need to go(but cant shoot with the compass out), the screen getting red when hurt/injured, ammo only showing briefly when switching weapons/reloading.  It makes the screen less cluttered and makes you pay attention to everything in order to survive.

There are sections where you must put on a gas mask because of toxic air.  You have a watch that shows your masks filter levels and have to change the filters if in the toxic air for too long.  Also, enemies can crack/break your gas mask.  If this happen you need to hope you can find one laying on the ground to replace yours or you are dead very quickly.

You have a flashlight, but the more you use it, the weaker it gets.  So you have a hand pump that you can use to charge but the flashlight, but much like the compass you better not be getting attacked at the time. 

You can trade ammo for other types of ammo/weapons.  There is also gold "military grade" ammo that can be used in some weapons but is much more useful as expensive currency to buy things.  I personally only find myself spending ammo at shops if I need a big weapon upgrade or a specific type of ammo.

Some CONS include the fact that even on easy some of the mutant enemies seem to "sponge" ammo and take forever to kill.  Sometimes 2 shots and they are dead and others you waste clips before they die.  Makes it frustrating.  Also the breaking of your gasmask is cool but also can be annoying.  If there isnt a gas mask around and something breaks yours, you can pretty much pause and hit "reload previous checkpoint" because you will most likely die.

I'm probably only 3 hours in or so but all in all its a very interesting game experience.  Not perfect but entertaining and has some cool features.  It's worth checkig out if you are a 360 user and looking for a flawed yet entertaining FPS in a desolate environment.  I'd kind of liken it to F.E.A.R. meets Fallout (without the RPG stuff).   I look forward to putting more time in and hopefully reviewing the full game. 

Trailer below:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7xLJAXEKGY[/youtube]

Re: Metro 2033

That's very interesting. Unfortunately I don't the game system for it though.

It seems really cool. I'm definitely going to rent it.

I forgot to mention I also had to turn on the captions because thick russian accents + gas masks = I have no idea what the fuck they said moments

Man you beat me too it! I was just going to post a montage for this lol

The trailer looks okay, This montage is what made me believe it is the most epic game ever
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tKJFyvusDU[/youtube]
I really want to get this game, but my 360 is on the fritz sorta. I need to build a kickass gaming pc, thatd be so nice.

But looks amazing, im a total sucker for post apocalyptic anything.

I've got it for PC, and so far so good. The storyline is good and it looks beautiful. I've been at it for around an hour and am now getting into the really good bits! I'd recommend it. Its no Fallout 3, but an interesting take on the genre. Makes me want to find a copy of the book its based on!

TFS, I wanna find the book but I know her ein the US it doesnt exist.  There is like a german release that has a rough English translation but finding it is hard and expensive!  Maybe with the release of the game it'll finally make its way here but doubt it as I dunno if it will be popular enough for them to take the time to translate it from Russian and reprint it.

You can get a copy on Ebay international for around $40. Little out of my price range for a book.