Re: What pisses you off right now ?

I got some really bad news today that will change my life forever.  Oh well all good things come to an end

^^
My sympathies, Mike.  I hope you can work through it.  There are a lot of nice people on HM that you can/may talk to, if you wish.  Except Punk, he'll tell you to buy a 5th of Jack D. and down it with fish heads, or some other weird thing he does.

But seriously, my best wishes to you.

Arthritic attacks.

Men who are constantly badmouthing the whole female sex.    If one is pissed at an individual woman, why not say so, instead of damning EVERY female anyone has ever known?

My brain is extremely defective and it piss me off insanely.

Didn't remember I was eliminated in Fulcento's Draft Thread.

HELP ME PLEASE, my mind plays crazy tricks on me... Urgh...

Last edited by kXnPunk (2014-03-28 02:37:36)

That "truck advertisement" prologue has been getting even worse.  Bad enough that it made me consider leaving the forum.  Are you sure there's nothing the mods can do about it?

That's too extreme, GD. There are ways a browser can block ads.

@Punk - Sign of trauma. Your brain is protecting you from the memory of that soul-crushing match.

It's getting to be more trouble dealing with it than it's worth.

That add appears after accessing the main page or the forum?

Yep-virtually EVERY time-and it's about 10 times before I can get to the forum itself, instead.

Someone suggested it before, try bookmarking the forum directly. It's the easiest, most effective solution.

The easiest and most effective way would be walking off altogether, but I don't really feel like that just yet.

Hicks wrote:

@Punk - Sign of trauma. Your brain is protecting you from the memory of that soul-crushing match.

Mwahaha H3LL yeah. Luckily, I'd be slashing myself in the back with ropes and razor blades on them repeatedly. lol

GHOST DADDY, there's really nothing the mods or anybody can do about it.

What browser dya run??? Are your settings in order??? Did you try the bookmark trick??? Is your ad blocker activated???

I don't know man, really don't.

Nope, nothing we can do about it.  Our "powers", as it were, are limited to forum moderation.  We can delete/edit/move posts and threads and we can ban and un-ban users.  We have nothing at all to do with the site's code or what does or doesn't pop up on the main page.

My advice -- other than getting a pop-up blocking program -- would be to just avoid the main site page altogether.  Bookmark the forum page instead so you can come directly here without having to click the forum link on the main page.  That's what I do.  I couldn't tell you the last time I visited the main site page.

^^
This is what I do- just bookmark/favorite the forum page.  You can run an ad-blocker if you want, also, but remember this is a hobby site for Meh.  This is not his job, he does it on the side, and barely covers the bills.

I personally come here for the forum; the news and front-page stuff is just a bonus if I want to access it.  Unless you're going to fund the site, you have to either deal with what happens, or not.

(Personally, I'd deal with a lot of ad-crap if I had to just to discuss stuff the guys and gals here.  I haven't yet found any horror forum that has such a non-caustic atmosphere.  Check out Bloody-disgusting for an example of flamewar action.)

That's the trouble-it comes perilously close to PREVENTING me from discussing the topics being talked about.   At first, I assumed that the ad was something the mods. agreed to show in order to get money to keep the board up, but I've since learned that they didn't even know about it and that it wasn't routinely dished out to other members.

^^^
Trash your damn Computer and all will be fixed with a new one.
I had some issues with my previous one but since I have my BADASS DEMON all is fixed.

And yes, I have the forum front page bookmarked, that's how I come here aside when I get the damn lot of notifications... big_smile

GHOST DADDY wrote:

That's the trouble-it comes perilously close to PREVENTING me from discussing the topics being talked about.   At first, I assumed that the ad was something the mods. agreed to show in order to get money to keep the board up, but I've since learned that they didn't even know about it and that it wasn't routinely dished out to other members.

Just to ensure my opinion is informed, I just visited the main site page, then refreshed it a few times, but never got any kind of ad or pop-ups. But then I have ad and pop-up blockers installed into my browser.

What browser do you use?  Firefox, Google Chrome and Opera all have free add-ons/extensions you can download to block pop-up ads.  I don't know if Internet Explorer does; I haven't used that browser since the early '00s. 

Consider also that there's a chance an adware program could have sneaked in through your PC's back door and installed itself.  Get yourself a program called Super Anti-Spyware and run a scan.  It's a completely free program but is nevertheless one of the best malware/trojan cleaners around.  Have it delete anything it finds, restart your PC and visit the main page again.  If you still get pop-up ads, then it's not your PC, but the page itself.  In which case I'd again recommend just bypassing the main page and bookmarking the forum index instead. smile

I believe most of these blockers keep a log of the pop-ups and ads they block. Check in its settings, Lon.
I followed your example and loaded the main page a few times from different devices and browsers, including an explorer on a win7 with its antivir and firewall temporally disabled, and got no pop-up. It might be indeed a malware or simply the ad is location triggered on the IPs from GD's area.
GD, I'd say you first try accessing the site from another pc. If that ad still pops, it's probably legit and you're unlucky for living where you live. If not, it's probably a malware on your pc, so you should proceed with the step that Lon suggested and nuke the f****r.
Punk's suggestion is also viable, but I'd say you keep it in mind as last resort. Last, last, last...

... last resort. No offence, Punk, I know you mean well. big_smile

^^^
Hahaha I know, I know. Still fixed a huge lot of things for me.

The neighbors below me. F'ing dogs and loud cars. Their dogs were outside last year. They took them inside because they bothered me so much last year with their constant barking and waking me up, I'd wait until they fell asleep and set off the car alarm. Bastards.

As to the spyware, malware, virus issue above, here are some good & free programs to try out-

Spybot S&D (site link- www.safer-networking.org )
Ad-Aware (site link- www.lavasoft.com )
Malwarebytes (site link- www.malwarebytes.org )

I run Spybot first, then Ad-Aware, and finally Malwarebytes.  You can also enable real-time protection with Spybot, though that can be annoying since it checks every single program & file that loads.

People telling untruths (hey-I was there not long ago, so I know) about how folk on Welfare get enough to buy a yacht every month.  I really found it frustrating the time a person I quite liked and otherwise highly respected surprised me by suddenly going off on such a tirade.

I despise people like that.  Who the fuck could ever buy a yacht on welfare?  And those dick-holes at Fox News bitching about people on food stamps buying high-end fish!  High-end or not it's food -- that's what fucking food stamps is for, you elitist trash.

But what really gets me are the folks who bitch about "They're mooching off my tax dollars; my money pays for their welfare," blah blah blah.  Yeah, right, because those fractions of a single cent on every dollar you make really adds up...after about 8,000 years.

This is what the US has come to.  Greedy, selfish ass-fucks who bitch about having to look out for their fellow man.  I despise the world today.  Makes me wish I'd been alive in the 1940s, because at least back then people actually LIKED to help one another.

I doubt that third sentence.  Imagine it's just another one of those historical fictions that have circulated for centuries.  I've heard the same thing about the fifties and sixties.  I was around for both and never saw ample evidence of it.