Re: The Dark Knight Rises

^^ I have mixed emotions going on right now?? As I said " Wife & I are going to see it at 3:30 today. She doesn't know about the tragic event in CO, yet.

She texted me from work about 4 hrs ago, asking if I wanted to go see it with her? I said yes, and then told her the movie "Savages" looked good too. She said, she wanted to see the Batman movie. Long story short; she bought advanced tickets, and we are going

If the theater here decides to pull it, even if it weren't a WB decision. No problem. I would truly respect that decision!!

Thing is, I'm feeling guilty now. At the same time. I refuse to cower, or be intimidated by these kinds of people.

No reason to feel guilty, Undie.  You didn't shoot those people; some fucking whack-job did.  Just to be clear, though, I'm not saying they SHOULD pull the movie, only that I would respect if they chose too.  This kind of incident...on one hand you want the world to stop and take stock of how we feel about our fellow human beings, and on the other you don't want to give this psycho the satisfaction of knowing that his actions have caused you to shrink away in fear.  Unless one were indifferent to it, there is no right or wrong way to feel here.

More than anything, I just respect that the WB is even considering it.  In a country where The Dollar is King, for a corporation to even just pause and think think about what the families of twelve people are feeling rather than how it's going to affect their profits...man, that's almost unprecedented.

LoudLon wrote:

No reason to feel guilty, Undie.  You didn't shoot those people; some fucking whack-job did.  Just to be clear, though, I'm not saying they SHOULD pull the movie, only that I would respect if they chose too.  This kind of incident...on one hand you want the world to stop and take stock of how we feel about our fellow human beings, and on the other you don't want to give this psycho the satisfaction of knowing that his actions have caused you to shrink away in fear.  There is no right or wrong way to feel here. 

More than anything, I just respect that the WB is even considering it.  In a country where The Dollar is King, for a corporation to even just pause and think think about what the families of twelve people are feeling rather than how it's going to affect their profits...man, that's almost unprecedented.

Yea, I know Lon. And thanks! Just can't help but feel really sad, and heavy hearted, for the victims and their families.

That's because you're a good guy, man.  Our numbers are small these days.

Well I'm back from it. I thought it had its fair share of flaws, as well as its fair share of good qualities. I'm still surprised about the direction they went with with a few specific characters but I've definitley come to appreciate what Nolan's done with the Batman trilogy.

While it did make some leaps I can deal with that. Each character was interesting with their own distinct qualities. Loved it, going to see it again on monday.

I think John Blake's little reference to Killer Kroc was cool too. I remember him saying something along the lines of "alligators in the sewers" but I thought it was a foreshadowing in a way. Just something neat..

He played on a lot of those and it was funny. Coin tosses and whatnot (even batman TDK style voice in one part).

Here's my review, be warned as their are spoilers ahead so if you don't wanna read, just ignore it.

I guess I should just accept that I can’t fully accept Christopher Nolan’s Batman universe.  I never hated the movies.  Never even thought they were bad, per se’.  Just…missing something.

It’s taken a long time to even accept the previous two entries.  I quite enjoy watching Batman Begins now, and TDK, as much of a frustratingly long winded history I have with it, is just fine to me at this point.

And as much as they took to grow on me, I honestly have to say that structurally, they were both much better films.

As far as TDKR goes, it was fun, had some great moments, but just felt disjointed overall.  And it suffered greatly from some painful momentary cliches that films all too often fall victim to.  The cop-out heroic ending for example.  I wanted it to end well, I really wanted Bruce to finally find peace in the city that brought him so much pain.  And he did, just…..not in the way I was hoping.  In fact, aside from Batman going on the run and taking the fall for Dent’s murders, TDK had a wonderful ending.  Something along those lines would have sufficed.

The typical last minute effort spiel was totally unnecessary.  And Bane was shafted in favor of a plot twist, revealing a character that in and of herself, was shafted.  All because there were far too many central characters, with overlapping storylines with enough time to develop them, in the span of the film.

A lot of it just felt rushed and not properly fleshed out enough, I guess.  I honestly can’t find the right words to describe it, but it certainly felt off to me, I don’t know.

Now with that said, Bane….was awesome.  The Joker’s grown on me, and I quite enjoyed a lot of his moments during TDK.  But I couldn’t take my eyes off of Bane for one second.  He was that impressive.  So much more of a threat to Bruce, in so many ways too.

Their first encounter in the sewers is arguably the best action sequence in the film.  It was almost everything I would have imagined, aside from it being so one sided.  But that aspect of it was what made the scene so powerful, I think.  That Batman could be so vulnerable, and manhandled like he was, with no effort at all on Bane’s part, was astounding.  Tom Hardy stole the show.

The newest addition to Bruce’s arsenal, The Bat, was an interesting vehicle.  Finally something that flies. Although it would’ve been nice to see more of it, in favor the already overused Batpod.  Oh well.  Bane’s attack on the city was also another gem to watch.  Nolan can really craft a suspenseful scene, that’s for sure.

Selina Kyle and John Blake were welcome additions as well.  JGL played it nicely, if not a little good guy cliched.  Anne Hathaway was relieving, considering she was what I was looking forward to least of all.  I just can’t appreciate her like others can, but she did well.

Blake’s reveal as “Robin” was just sudden, and I don’t know man, was it really necessary?  I like JGL, he’s great.  But this trilogy didn’t need Robin.  And the fact that it ends on that note just seemed tedious.  Bruce had finally found closure it seemed, but then you’re forced to sit and think about what’s to come.  I wasn’t a big fan of that.

So there it is.  My honest thoughts, after having sat and thought on it for awhile.  My views may very well change, but for now I’ll just settle with this:

I enjoyed it, but I really think it could’ve been a much better, well rounded film with some tweaking to the story.

@Tri-
That's the end of Nolan's involvement with Batman, supposedly.  I think the studio just wanted him to toss that in there in case they wanted to keep it going.  I think the idea was to remake his figure after the inglorious ending of the previous movie.  I agree it was tedious in the beginning, though.  But it was just overall such a great ending, I couldn't help but love the film.  Even Vampy was impressed.