Topic: 5 Fearsome Rat Films

I don't know about you, but rats are not my favourite cuddly furry things! The horror genre has featured many in films over the years and no wonder, horrible things! here are 5 in reverse order.

5. RATS: NIGHT OF TERROR ( 1984)
Bruno Matti's cheap, sleaze gore feast set in the future 100 years after a Nuclear war has killed off most of mankind, and a small group go into a town to discover it is overrun with rats who like the taste of human flesh. Has a lot of over the top gory scenes and people running around covered in rats and being eaten alive, a most unpleasant experience i bet. One squirming scene has a rat come popping out of someone's mouth! has one of the sillest " shock endings" ever! A real sleaze feast.

4.THE SWORD AND THE SORCERER ( 1983)
OK it's not really a horror film , but it has horror elements and is great fun with Lee Horsley showing off his muscles, Richard Lynch as usual making  a great villian and Kathleen Beller to ogle at as the damsel in distress. For me the most memorable scene is when Talon ( Horsley) is leading his men through a sewer and they hear a rushing noise only to be attacked by a heaving swarm of hungry and vicious rats. not nice, not nice at all ( shiver).Easily for me Albert Pyun's best film.

3. Willard (1971/2003)
The classic rat film. i actually preferred the remake with Crispin Glover but both are good about a lonely put upon man who befriends a rat who repays the friendship by getting his horde to kill anybody who upsets his friend. I prefer Ernest  Borgnine in the original as the abusive boss, aparently Borgnine's screams when he is set upon by rats were real, he didn't like them ethier. poor Ernie!

2.THE RATS (2002)
No, not the cheap Robert Clouse version of James Herbert's novel.This one concerns a health inspector who discovers there is a very very bad rat infestation in Manhatten. This is a t.v movie and it's the film that made me squirm the most out of these five. Not a very well known film but  i kind of liked it, the film seems dirty and the attacks are uncomfortably realistic. Vincent Spano is the hapless health worker, and there is a nasty scene set in a swimming pool. brrrrrr

1. OF UNKNOWN ORIGIN (1983)

Man becomes obsessed with battling a giant rat that has got into his house, and goes crazy trying to put a stop to it's destruction, but at what cost, his home, his family, his life?  nice little psychological thriller from George P Cosmatos, who has Peter Weller in a good performance  go " Rambo" on the unsavoury critter. some good moments and some humourous ones, the rat looks a bit hokey at times but it's  a good little film.

well what do you guys think ? any other cinematic rats that you can think of or were memorable?
p.s yes, i know there was a sequel to willard called Ben, but didn't include it here as it wasn't fearsome enough.

Re: 5 Fearsome Rat Films

Stephen King's Graveyard Shift comes to mind.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CA2xo93CtCI

Last edited by fmvgamer (2010-12-11 10:40:01)

Ratman (1988) is a must see it to believe it entry definitely worthy of making the list.

A scientist creates a freak genetic mutation of rat and man.  Unintentionally hilarious and rat-shit crazy LOL.  Tagline: 'The critter from the shitter' - you haven't lived till you've seen it LOL

You've been coming up with some great lists, wolfie. And this one is another example!

Graveyard Shift is definitely a good one. Good list, havnt seen a couple of them. Really need to check out Rats: Night of Terror...sounds like my kinda flick!

Also I had no idea Willard was remake, thanks for that tidbit!

The Masters of Horror episode Dreams in the Witch-House (Season 1 - Episode 2) was freaky.  I thought the rat-monster was kind of silly...until the end.

Another great list Wolfy !!! 

the only other additions I can  think of are Graveyard Shift and Food Of The Gods

Rats: Night of Terror is awesome. As others have mentioned, Graveyard shift is also good.

MistressOf Horror wrote:

Another great list Wolfy !!! 

the only other additions I can  think of are Graveyard Shift and Food Of The Gods

thanks babe! not as good as your features though! xx

Great list, Wolfy!!! 

I agree Mistress, Food of the Gods was good too.

What about food for the gods 1 and 2? Giant killer rats!

James Herberts 'The Rats' was probably one of the first horror novels i read when i was a kid...........under the duvet with a torch! lol

The only film i can think of to add to the list is 'Mulberry St'..........does it count?? they turn into rats!

I love rats too much to be scared of them ha ha.

They are so cute and really friendly and curious if you have them as pets.

Mulberry st was a cool indie Rat creature feature...NYC residents start turning in to giant rat creature things...

Just watched Of Unknown Origin (1983) and thought it was great! Definitely worthy of topping this list, it had me cheering at the end lol.

Have also since seen Rats: Night of Terror but I didn't care much for thought it was ok...like Mad Max with a rat infestation. But the gore wasn't the greatest nor was the story...just alright for me.