Topic: Is Black Swan a horror film?

I haven't seen it. I heard it's just a thriller, but having read up on it, it sounds like a horror to me. smile

Re: Is Black Swan a horror film?

Definitley not horror.

DemonicBrilliance wrote:

Definitley not horror.

OK. That told me. Ha ha. Thanks. big_smile

I wrote about it on this site and Fangoria has written about. It is horror in my books. Pure Psychological horror.

is it any good? I was thinking of watching it.

I have not seen it but ive heard that no it isnt...

CaptHowdy79 wrote:

is it any good? I was thinking of watching it.

I thought it was excellent. One of the best I've seen in a while.

I have GOT to see this one:)

Black Swan was great.  Don't know if I'd consider it a horror film but I can see how some might.  Worth a watch regardless.  Aronofsky is one of the best directors around.

^ I completely agree. Aronofsky is one of the best around.

It's a psychological thriller which puts it in a horror subgenre to me.

I've just watched it, and I would say it's horror.  Mild but horror. wink

I guess I should go and watch it then.

CaptHowdy79 wrote:

I guess I should go and watch it then.

SPOILER!!!
SPOILER!!!
SPOILER!!!
SPOILER!!!
SPOILER!!!
SPOILER!!!
SPOILER!!!
SPOILER!!!
SPOILER!!!
SPOILER!!!
SPOILER!!!
SPOILER!!!
SPOILER!!!
SPOILER!!!
SPOILER!!!
===================================================

The most annoying thing is deciding what is real and what isn't. Since the central character is clearly very disturbed.

As anyone seen this yet?

Is the mirror scene the only creepy part of the movie?

Lol The Poster of Black Swan give me goosebumps .. But I heard this movie got several awards.. i gotta watch this one but its release date here in philippines is FEB.23~!!!

I would say Black Swan walks a very thin line between horror and drama. But honestly i have a hard time considering it a horror movie. Either way, its pretty good, considering the backdrop of the film is about ballet, it still kept me interested the entire time and had some pretty crazy moments.

from what i've heard this is not a horror film. the thing that puts me off it is, it's about Ballet or at least has a Ballet Backdrop.

ballet is definiteyl not my cup of tea but out of nowhere it just got voted #1 horror film of 2001. I think Chainsaw80 describes it perfectly.

i look awful in ballet tights it's my hairy legs! my balls show up good though! big_smile

rofl.

It's a pretty amazing flick, anything that make ballet interesting gets a thumbs up in my book. Who knew the shit was so brutal?

And this isn't the first horror movie that's done it, remember Susperia? But ballet is the perfect setting and I gotta admit, I found all the physicality of it pretty interesting, most of the stuff made me cringe. Granted it drags a teeny bit in the  middle, but the ending more than makes up for it and Natalie Portman truly gives an awe-inspiring performance.

As for if it's horror or not...I'd say so...there are scenes that solely want to horrify you...that's the effect it's going for...and it succeeds (there's one particular scene involving Wynona Ryder in a hospital you won't be forgetting anytime soon.)

But because the "Horror" label gets a badwrap in hollywood, I'm sure you'll be hearing this described as a drama everywhere you go...but don't let it fool you. This is a horror film, complete with crazy transformations, creepy whispers in the dark...and plenty of death.

Last edited by Sonny (2011-01-24 04:52:11)

^ I agree.

All the girls behind me going "omg omg omg! ewww ahhh! I'm not going to be able to sleep tonight!" would agree that it's horror lol.

I finally got to see it tonight, it was an amazing film and It had me cringing at certain points too. I was so amazed by it and Natalie Portman, I didn't really even like Requiem but this one was brilliant. I loved how it ended, kind of beautiful in a twisted way.

10/10 for sure.

Last edited by Baby_Firefly (2011-01-25 09:30:25)

Pretty awesome movie whether it's technically horror or not. I'd have to argue that it is a horror movie though. There''s a lot of stuff meant to make you uncomfortable, it builds the tension pretty effectively and there's some downright creepy stuff in it. Definitely a horror movie

"What happened to my sweet girl?"
"She's gone!"

My favourite quote. xD