http://www.sinepil.org/imaj/gorcun/v2.gif

The Poughkeepsie Tapes

http://www.dreadcentral.com/img/news/sep07/poughkeepsiepic4.jpg

Paranormal Activity
http://kara.allthingsd.com/files/2009/10/paranormal-activity-dwrks2.jpg

8213: Gacy House

http://horrornews.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/8213_gacy-house-3.jpg

Cannibal Holocaust

http://jenniferlintonart.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/still-from-cannibal-holocaust1.jpg

[REC]

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_9LDYQ-UcDSk/SwooM2waRRI/AAAAAAAAAVs/CoZ1TelXAio/s1600/%5Brec%5D.jpg

Re: Found Footage Films

I love these movies.  Ok...so my piks are not original.  I think it's easy to hate these type of movies that make it it big.  Lets take Blair Witch.  A lot of people think this is the effin dumbest movie ever made.  I think...if this movie hadn't been released.  If it was found some obscure way, like a stream no one knew about, or a random movie sittin in the back of a video store...and someone found it.  People that saw it that way would think it's the frickin greatest movie ever.  Think same would apply to Paranormal Activity.

So...

1 - Paranormal Activity
2 - Blair Witch Project
3 - Paranormal Entity
4 - Poughkeepsie Tapes
5 - Paranormal Activity 2
6 - Quarantine

Have Gacy ordered.  Really want to see In Memorium, Rec and Atrocious.  Would like to know about others.

Great Thread Mistress!

Last edited by Ghostseeker (2011-01-25 02:33:58)

I like all the above mentioned movies but also, The Fourth Kind

the Fourth Kind wasnt that bad actually.. it had an interesting take on things..

Of the ones that I've seen I'd rank them in the following order:

[REC]
[REC] 2
Paranormal Activity 2
Paranormal Activity
Cloverfield
Diary of the Dead
Quarantine
Home Movie
The Fourth Kind
The Last Exorcism

The Blair Witch Project

Last edited by bentheprop (2011-01-25 08:07:19)

I liked
REC (2007)
REC 2 (2009)
Paranormal Activity (2007)
Cloverfield
Noroi (2005)

i did see half The Poughkeepsie Tapes (2007) i had to turn of cause i was tired but i did like what i saw.

Also liked
the Fourth Kind
Cloverfield (2008)

I did not like
The Blair Witch Project (1999)
Diary of the Dead (2007)
The Last Exorcism (2010)

I did not like Paranormal Activity 2 (2010) but i going to give one more watch as i seen all the above a least twice.

Also i did not like
The Haunted house project aka Deserted House akaPyega (2010)
The Collingswood Story (2002) (which i saw last nigth for the first time)

but i am really looked forward to Grave Encounters (2010), the evidence (2011) and Area 51 (2011)

I enjoy these types of movies too. Cloverfield and Blair Witch are my favs.

Cannibal Holocaust never gets enough credit for really planting the seeds of these types of films [REC] is probably my fave, [REC] 2 was a good sequel
Paranormal Activity really surprised me with the chills it served.
The Poughkeepesie Tapes was an excellent example of what you can do with a small budget.
Cloverfield I'm not much of a fan of aside from some of the FX
Diary of The Dead was too heavy-handed for my taste and that's coming from a Romero enthusiast
Blair Witch I bounce back and forth on - when I first saw it I found the ending chilling - watched it again and it didn't do anything for me.  Seen it since too, and I appreciate it for what it is, but I don't see it as the great piece of work some do.
The Fourth Kind had some interesting moments, but overall it felt a little lackluster
Home Movie is pretty disturbing - definitely one to give a looksy

Really want to see Gacy House, In Memorium and Atrocious

Last edited by deadhorse13 (2011-01-25 14:14:51)

I love cinema verite/found footage films.  Cloverfield, [REC] and the Paranormal Activity movies top my list, but here are some others not mentioned already, in no particular order.

The Last Broadcast
Death of a Ghost Hunter
The Possession of David O'Reilly
Cropsey
S&Man
June 9
Welcome to the Jungle
Meadowoods
Lake Mungo
Man bites Dog
Home Movie

And I am really looking forward to seeing the Poughkeepie Tapes, Atrocious and In Memorium also.

Last edited by alien25 (2011-01-25 14:26:09)

hell yeah, Man Bites Dog rules! LOL

Behind The Mask: The Rise of LV totally stole from it and it doesn't even compare

^Oh man, I totally forgot Behind the Mask!  I love that flick!!
I would have to give it the nod over MBD though Bill, just because the lead in MBD is such a doofuss!  wink

mistress when i grow up i want to be like you! an awesome Thread Creator smile xxxx

i like  " Cloverfield", "Rec", "Diary Of The Dead" "Paranormal Activity" but think it is becoming a little tired now.

I liked:

Blair Witch
Cannibal Holocaust
Quarantine
Diary of the Dead
Paranormal Activity

I liked Cloverfield ok but don't think i would watch it again & i haven't seen The Forth Kind yet.

alien25 wrote:

I would have to give it the nod over MBD though Bill, just because the lead in MBD is such a doofuss!  wink

a poetry spouting, racist, homophobe - what's not to like? LOL
I think the scene with the old lady seals the deal for me, but you're right he's definitely a bit daffy LOL

Last edited by deadhorse13 (2011-01-25 17:47:38)

Pam and Tommy’s honeymoon tape

which can also be filed under 'pound footage' LOL

deadhorse13 wrote:
alien25 wrote:

a poetry spouting, racist, homophobe - what's not to like? LOL
I think the scene with the old lady seals the deal for me, but you're right he's definitely a bit daffy LOL

Yeah, it is like Quentin Tarantino wrote his dailogue in French.  It is so fast, that it is hard to keep up with the sub-titles.
But that scene where he comes running down onto the beach nude, arms flailing like a bad ballerina, what a dork! lol

Ha!  I forgot about that scene.  I've name checked MBD quite a few times here on HM and even included it in a top ten I did - I think it's high time I gave it a revisit - it's been years.

Perhaps it may have even been due to one of your name drops that caused me to watch it.  An enjoyable watch, especially for fans of cinema verite films.

Of the mentioned films my personal fav is Cannibal Holocaust. There were parts when I wanted to turn away, but couldn't, and gladly so. 2nd in line is REC. REC was fast paced and you never knew where or when the infected were coming or who next victim was. 3rd on my list Man Bites Dog , which I recently watched for the first time last wk. The serial killer was unpredictable, yet likable in some weird way. As for Blair Witch Project? I saw it at the theater when it came out and was a bit let down. I think for the fact that it got a lot of hype from a few of my friends as " the scariest movie they had seen." I have watched it several times since and still think it was just o.k. Paranormal Activity had it's creepy moments, but all in all, still didn't do much for me. Still a fun movie though.

Last edited by Underdog (2011-01-25 21:49:54)

I am looking forward to watching  Grave Encounters

I like REC and Paranormal Activity, def. have a soft spot for Blair Witch as well. If done right these sort of films can be enjoyable but it seems to have stalled a lil recently. Hope it picks up smile

The Poughkeepsie Tapes
Cannibal Holocaust
August Underground trilogy
Paranormal Activity
Paranormal Activity 2
Man Bites Dog
Behind the Mask
The Blair Witch Project
Cloverfield

Never really cared for Rec or Quarantine. One that I want to check out but haven't yet is Lake Mungo. I've heard some good things about it.

Last edited by Suspiria_89 (2011-01-25 23:21:24)

This is probably one of my favourite subgenres, even though it's a tread-lightly one, considering it's very easy to overdue. I just love the 'real' feel of it, when it's done right.
Pretty much every found footage film I've seen (which would be probably about half of those I see already listed), I've liked. My favourites, though, would have to be REC, Quarantine, Paranormal Activity (barely), and Cannibal Holocaust. And then, of course, there's Cloverfield, which I've seen 19 times in 3 years. That's not more than I've seen Spaceballs, but, then, Spaceballs got a head-start.

My 12th grade French class actually started making our own found-footage-style short film, called L'Ombre (Shadow), but our teacher cut us off before we could actually film it. Luckily, we all had a crush on her (even the one girl in the class), otherwise we probably would've been mad.

I really like The Fourth Kind.  Guess I didn't think of that as a found footage film.  Lots of good movies on this Thread, with a few I hadn't heard of.  With some of the more obscure ones, how do you all see them?  Most of my viewing comes from Netflix now.