126

Re: Found Footage Films

Scream 4 has something to do with video taping the murders or something.. looks kinda shit to me

Re: Found Footage Films

just the words "Part 4", no matter what the franchise, looks kinda shit to me LOL

128

Re: Found Footage Films

Friday 13th 4 is the only good one i can think of off the top of my head.. But then again that whole series never had 1 that stood far above the rest..

Re: Found Footage Films

Ghostseeker wrote:
fmvgamer wrote:

And i enjoyed Incident at Lake county aka The McPherson tape. Was pretty intense and was produced before BWP. Watched it one night on TV and loved it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXO1QrDJs6A

Saw this.  Was interesting.  Def a decent - I'm home alone with the dogs so I'll watch a free movie on the computer.  Kinda got irritating though, but overall a decent movie.  Def ahead of a couple of the Found Footage movies I've seen recently.

What got irritating ? The little girl ? The fade out to the "experts" ?

The TV movie predates BWP by a year or so. For what it is , it's pretty good. The movie is actually a remake. The director had done an amateur home movie with more or less the same script but most of the original film had been destroyed in a fire. Bits of the original footage still travels around the ufologist circuit as "real" evidence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVEDSiWzpPM

Re: Found Footage Films

fmvgamer wrote:
Ghostseeker wrote:
fmvgamer wrote:

And i enjoyed Incident at Lake county aka The McPherson tape. Was pretty intense and was produced before BWP. Watched it one night on TV and loved it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXO1QrDJs6A

Saw this.  Was interesting.  Def a decent - I'm home alone with the dogs so I'll watch a free movie on the computer.  Kinda got irritating though, but overall a decent movie.  Def ahead of a couple of the Found Footage movies I've seen recently.

What got irritating ? The little girl ? The fade out to the "experts" ?

The TV movie predates BWP by a year or so. For what it is , it's pretty good. The movie is actually a remake. The director had done an amateur home movie with more or less the same script but most of the original film had been destroyed in a fire. Bits of the original footage still travels around the ufologist circuit as "real" evidence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVEDSiWzpPM

That's interesting about the original.  Funny.  It was def worth checking out...and I appreciate the link.  I found some of the actors and dialogue irritating.  I can get kinda picky. 

#SPOILER* 

There was that part after the aliens broke in, were locked in the room, the dude shot it, then they go in and check the alien they think / hope are dead.  One of the girls whines, "You're creepin me out."  Like really?  With all that happened you're creeped out.  Just her behavior and that line was ridiculous. 

Then later after one of the chicks is dead and a bunch of the dudes are missing, the ice machine goes off.  They all scream and try to get it off.  Why did they care.  Then some of the things they use to block the doors?!?!?  The kid used as pole he rested against it.

Again...I'm just bein picky, but when people do things that don't make sense, or are ridiculous, it irritates me.  There were a few other examples.

I liked the beginning.  I thought it was creepy when the aliens saw them. That kind of stuff is freaky.  Then in the room with the kid when the alien came in.  Freaky.   Few other creepy parts too.

So....is a good movie to just watch for free while I'm hangin at home.  Def worth checkin out.  I've been off of work for a bit and have watched a lot of movies, including these found footage movies.  This is better than a bunch I saw on NetFlix.  Thanks!

Last edited by Ghostseeker (2011-02-11 03:37:05)

Re: Found Footage Films

No problem , glad you like it despite the minor problems.

There's also "the St Francisville experiment" which was made before the influx of all those ghost hunters type reality show on TV. It was okay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rC36k7P8KZg

Last edited by fmvgamer (2011-02-11 10:26:31)

132

Re: Found Footage Films

I saw The Troll Hunters Last week, it had it moments, i did enjoy The Troll scenes they were fun, but i did not like how the movie ended at all. took all the fun of it!

Re: Found Footage Films

BASSI wrote:

I saw The Troll Hunters Last week, it had it moments, i did enjoy The Troll scenes they were fun, but i did not like how the movie ended at all. took all the fun of it!

I want to see this...not sure where I'll get it though.

Re: Found Footage Films

fmvgamer wrote:

No problem , glad you like it despite the minor problems.

There's also "the St Francisville experiment" which was made before the influx of all those ghost hunters type reality show on TV. It was okay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rC36k7P8KZg

This too, I wanna see, but don't wanna buy it.  Netflix don't have it yet so I'll have to do some lookin.  I've liked every movie you've recommended for me that I've seen fmvgamer...so I trust your opinion...even though it's only been one movie.  smile

Last edited by Ghostseeker (2011-02-15 03:11:15)

Re: Found Footage Films

Saw Home Movie...did not care for this one at all.  Wife totally hated it.  I thought it was at least entertaining.  Wanted to know what was gounna happen.  Disappointed with the end, and would have liked to know why these kids did what they did, why they were the way they were.

5.5 / 10 - Generous

Re: Found Footage Films

Ghostseeker wrote:
fmvgamer wrote:

No problem , glad you like it despite the minor problems.

There's also "the St Francisville experiment" which was made before the influx of all those ghost hunters type reality show on TV. It was okay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rC36k7P8KZg

This too, I wanna see, but don't wanna buy it.  Netflix don't have it yet so I'll have to do some lookin.  I've liked every movie you've recommended for me that I've seen fmvgamer...so I trust your opinion...even though it's only been one movie.  smile

The St francisville experiment is only all right in my view , it's not that great or anything since like a lot of those ghost hunting shows , nothing much happens that can be seen.

If you have the patience to see , it's available on youtube. This guy has a channel on lost footage movies , most of which i have never even heard before and yet to see.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Chemizon#g/p

Last edited by fmvgamer (2011-02-15 05:44:09)

137

Re: Found Footage Films

Hey guys,
german horror fan here.

I work for a german horror site called www.horrorpilot.com and I'm about to write an article about lost footage films, so this topic was quite helpful for me.

I was surprised to see a lot of you have trouble with subtitles or dubbed movies.
There's only a handful good german movies, with Nosferatu (1922) the best of it, so almost every movie is dubbed here.

Re: Found Footage Films

fmvgamer wrote:
Ghostseeker wrote:
fmvgamer wrote:

No problem , glad you like it despite the minor problems.

There's also "the St Francisville experiment" which was made before the influx of all those ghost hunters type reality show on TV. It was okay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rC36k7P8KZg

This too, I wanna see, but don't wanna buy it.  Netflix don't have it yet so I'll have to do some lookin.  I've liked every movie you've recommended for me that I've seen fmvgamer...so I trust your opinion...even though it's only been one movie.  smile

The St francisville experiment is only all right in my view , it's not that great or anything since like a lot of those ghost hunting shows , nothing much happens that can be seen.

If you have the patience to see , it's available on youtube. This guy has a channel on lost footage movies , most of which i have never even heard before and yet to see.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Chemizon#g/p

Yeah...I know you didn't really like SF Experiment that much.  Thanks for the link!  Seems like there's a lot of good clips on there.

Mick - On the chance you're around beyond your initial Post, I wouldn't say there are a lot of people with trouble with subtitles.  Seems to be just me and it not so much trouble, as I never know to do the subtitles or dubbed.  One of my favorite movies is Brotherhood of the Wolf, which is foreign.  Even after seein it numerous times I still didn't know which I preferred. 

Good luck on the article, and I'm guessin I'm not the only person here that would be interested in reading it.

Re: Found Footage Films

Just now finished watching The Last Exorcism and there are sooooooooooo many problems with this movie, every one a direct result of it being presented as a "found footage" film.

But for the sake of brevity, I'll limit myself to its single biggest fuck-up.

SPOILER ALERT (left click and drag if you want the movie ruined for you):

The film is presented as a "found footage" scenario.  Among the found footage are the murders of the documentary crew, the pastor and the forced abortion and immolation of a baby by a murderous satanic cult, whose faces and acts are caught on film.  Fair enough.  However...

The fact that we're watching this found footage at all would have to mean that the killers took the time to edit the film, add musical cues, leave in all the incriminating footage of them being caught in the act, and then leave the the footage laying around.  Then the footage would have to have been found, sold to a studio, sent to the MPAA who would give in an R despite it basically being a snuff  movie, and then released nationwide by the distributor without any form of legal repercussion.

Had the actual filmmakers simply made a straightforward, fictional film this likely would have been an above-average little potboiler.  But once they decided to take the "found footage" route they instantly undermined every single thing that happened in it.

So fucking stupid.

Last edited by LoudLon (2011-02-16 03:39:54)

140

Re: Found Footage Films

@Ghostseeker - I could send you the link once it is online, but I'm not sure how good your german is smile

@Loudlon - I agree, LAST EXORCISM wasn't the best of all lost footage films.
I've seen worse, but I didn't like the music in it and during the second exorcism it appears there are too many cuts for a single camera.
Also, most of these films have in common, that there's no chance to escape a certain scenario, while in LE the "heroes" could have left the town several times.

Re: Found Footage Films

Even with all that...I liked it.  Thought it was pretty cool. 

I don't think there are any more issues with this found footage films, as the other ones.  In any of them I have seen, theoretically, the killers would of had to of left the film laying around for someone to find, edit, get to a movie studio, get rated and released.  I will give you that the music in The Last Exorcism was different than most, if not all, of these movies...but all these movies would have had to of been edited.  So why does the music make it different as far as it being found?  Even after readin your Post Lon, I still don't see the difference.

I assume, watching any of these, that the movies would have been edited (I realize they were, just saying for the sake of found footage fantasy).  Blair Witch - I would assume there was some footage they didn't use, and there were different cameras used, so it would of had to of been edited.  I didn't think the witch edited it, and you would have run into the exact same problems you laid out Lon.  Getting it rated.  Snuff film and so on.

Same with PA.  Clearly there would have been a lot of footage not shown as they were taping every night.  Same with most I can think of.

NOT tryin to convince anyone to like LE, or that it was good.  Can see why people wouldn't of.  Just don't agree there were any more holes in that than others.

142

Re: Found Footage Films

@Ghostseeker:
As I said, it's not a terrible movie.

But as far as I can remember other movies like REC oder BLAIR WITCH didn't have any music in it and when there was a cut, it was because the camera had to be turned of for some reason. So the cut was part of the story.
Yes, they switched back and forth between the two cameras they used in Blair Witch, but the material still appears pretty raw, while Last Exorcism sometimes looks like a TV-ready documentary...and sometimes not.

Re: Found Footage Films

We will just have to disagree on this.  I gave you the music...yes I cannot think of another one of these films that has that.  Still, I don't think that makes a hole in the found footage theme of the movie.  I still say all these movies would have been edited, look like they were edited, and in that editing process music could have been added.  I will also stipulate that for a totally authentic found footage feel there should not be any music.  Clearly.

It has been a few months since I saw Last Exorcism.  Form what I remember there were shots where a camera started up abruptly to capture things.  Very much similar to other found footage movies. 

PA 1 and 2 don't seem edited?  In the months of taping they show things to move the story along or when paranormal things happen.  As much an edited feel as others to me.

Poughkeepsie tapes?  Cutting between FBI profilers, court results and the killer's tapes.

The Last Broadcast was admittedly an edited documentary.  With someone hired by the police to go through the tapes for prosecution.  Then the end?  Won't go into a spoiling detail...but if there are any complaints about ruining a found footage feel...this is number 1 by far!  This movie is also credited by many for igniting the genre (agreeably Cannibal Holocaust was the first I know!  Last Broadcast also arguabley got it going though...IMO and others)

If we are gounna argue raw footage I would have to go with Home Movie and Mcpherson tapes.  These two seemed like they were the most raw.

What I am saying is you can use these same arguments for most of these movies.  June 9.  Did the killers turn the footage over?  Then it got a rating and released?

I am not arguing Last Exorcism is a good movie.  I think it was.  Others don't, that's cool.  My point is the holes about this being a found footage movie could be applied to any of them.  If you feel this one had a more tv feel I can't argue against that.  From what I remember...I disagree.  I hope to see it again.  At this point I still easily have it in my top 5 found footage movies.  Even with the rushed ending.  I really liked the whole feel of it.  Liked the main character and the background.  Couple parts were really creepy.

Anyway...good discussion.  smile

Re: Found Footage Films

Ghostseeker wrote:

So why does the music make it different as far as it being found?  Even after readin your Post Lon, I still don't see the difference.

Even if we go on the assumption that it was a studio who edited the "found footage" and added the music in The Last Exorcism, it completely ignores the fact that the killers knew the evidence of their deeds was on tape.  The final image of the film is one of the killers looking directly into the camera as he kills the camera man.  He knew they'd been filmed and had the camera with all the evidence right there at his feet.  And we're supposed to believe this cult, who obviously weren't amateurs when it came to keeping their secret, allowed the footage to make its way into the hands of a distributor?  I'm all for suspending disbelief for a horror flick, but that's just too much to ask.

Ghostseeker wrote:

Blair Witch - I would assume there was some footage they didn't use, and there were different cameras used, so it would of had to of been edited.  I didn't think the witch edited it, and you would have run into the exact same problems you laid out Lon.  Getting it rated.  Snuff film and so on.

Blair Witch, in its context as a "found footage" film, works quite well.  It avoids every single loophole that The Last Exorcism falls head-first into.  The opposing camera angles are believable because the students had at least two cameras so it's feasible that angles would switch without breaks in the conversations. 

As explained in the Curse of the Blair Witch, the faux-documentary which aired before the film was released, the footage was found and handed over to the police, who investigated every frame of it, and found no trace of the filmmakers who'd been lost or evidence they'd been killed.  We assume they're dead, but do we see them killed?  No.  Were their bodies ever found?  No.  That throws the snuff film thing right out the window.  The film is designed in such a way that it's even possible the whole thing is a hoax perpetrated by these student filmmakers.   

So it's completely believable that the film was edited to depict the more dramatic moments in order to raise awareness of the missing students.  And if you notice, there is no score in the film, which only further sells the "found footage" thing more. 

Assuming the footage was real, had already been investigated (which The Last Exorcism would have not been, considering it included "real" murders which would have been kept as evidence in an investigation) and was submitted to the MPAA so it could be released theatrically, an R rating would have been appropriate.  There's no gore, no violence.  That leaves only an abundance of f-bombs, which would have garnered it an R. 

Also notice there's nothing in the film to suggest anything supernatural occurred.  The townsfolk may think the witch is real, the filmmakers may think she's real, but on the footage we're shown, there's nothing that can't be explained.

That's one of the many things which made Blair Witch so effective; not only is the film itself fantastic, but the filmmakers covered every single one of their bases in selling the illusion that it was real.  If it had never been revealed that the movie was a fake, we'd all be sitting here right now believing it either actually happened, or that the footage is evidence of a hoax.  And we'd have no reason at all to think otherwise (save for the lead girl showing up a year later in a Steak 'n Shake commercial lol

The Blair Witch Project did it right.  The Last Exorcism totally fucked it up.

Last edited by LoudLon (2011-02-16 20:05:46)

Re: Found Footage Films

Still disagree.  If you're whole point is Blair witch is a more effective found footage film then Last Exorcism...you have good points.  It still hinges on one thing, how the footage was found.

With Last Exorcism - I don't know.  Maybe one of the Satanists found God, felt guilty and turned it in.  Maybe they moved and forgot it.  Maybe they put it in a safe and someone broke in.  Why did they keep it?  Maybe they're sick and wanted to keep it as memory sake.  The MPAA (which I'm sure you agree is a flawless and impartial entity) didn't believe it was real.   So it got turned in and edited.  Released. 

June 9.  How did the footage get turned in?  Exact same holes you have with Last Exorcism.  Meadowoods - The kid that changed his tune turned it in?  Why, it implicated him too?  Home Movie - The kids turned in the film?  Why?  The Last Broadcast - The murder was caught on tape.  *SPOILER*  That's how dude was eventually identified.  Why did he leave the footage?  I don't know?

Yes, Blair Witch did it better.  No doubt, no argument.  I still don't see how the holes you point out for Last Exorcism is different than most other (almost all) found footage films though.

Again though, I disagree with the holes you have found in Last Exorcism for the reasons above.  Remember though, Blair Witch made an attempt to pretend it was real.  None of the other mainstream ones have done that since.  No movie has ever done it as brilliantly.  Agree with that totally.

Re: Found Footage Films

For me, The Last Exorcism is logically, and logistically, unsound in every way, whereas I think The Blair Witch is air-tight in every way.  If you were walking down a sidewalk and found the Last Exorcism footage, you'd never in a million years believe it might actually be real, unlike Blair Witch, which is completely convincing.

But, this is just one of those agree to disagree things.  What can you do except shrug and say "What can you do?" lol

In general though, "found footage" films, like 3D, have overstayed their welcome with me.  I wouldn't care if there was never another one made during my lifetime, and if there were, I probably wouldn't bother. lol

Re: Found Footage Films

Fair enough.  We do totally disagree on this.  They are still my favorite.  The two movies that have had the biggest impact on my adult life, if not my whole life are Blair Witch and Paranormal Activity.  Love em.  smile

148

Re: Found Footage Films

Ghostseeker wrote:

The two movies that have had the biggest impact on my adult life, if not my whole life are Blair Witch and Paranormal Activity.

Totally agree with Blair Witch Project.

As for the music: I don't question the logic behind it, it's edited, alright. Music makes it a more professional documentary, but for me a less authentic mockumentary.

Personally I don't care how the footage was found and made public, but I can certainly understand the problem people have with it.

Re: Found Footage Films

I liked the way The Poughkeepsie Tapes presented their 'found footage'

>SPOILERS<

Apparently the killer has left the tapes for the FBI to find . The films have been edited and are presnted as a documentary . There are segments of FBI agents , police, victims families being interviewed mixed in with clips from the tapes the killer filmed . This movie was very well done and very realistic. Much like the Blair Witch- if it had audiences had not been told this was  fiction there would be alot of people believing this killer was real and on the loose

Re: Found Footage Films

Agreed Mistress.  Although, some of the people interviewed were less than believable.  Overall though, a lot more believable found footage film than most.