Topic: 2011 MLB Thread

Here you can post praise for your team, mock others teams (nicely!), and give daily updates on all things baseball.

So far we have:
Me- The Philadelphia Phillies
Underdog- Padres
LoudLon- Reds

My predictions- Phils in the World Series, Mets win about 4 games, Giants will be fairly good, Reds should be decent, Padres- don't know, Yankees will tank it and Red Sox take the AL east, probably in the WS.

Game on!

http://blog.syracuse.com/news/2008/09/HotDogScareNY150.JPG

Last edited by azathoth (2011-08-30 11:28:05)

Re: 2011 MLB Thread

Looking forward to Reds vs. Brewers tomorrow.  Already got it programmed on the ol' DVR.

Was there a Football Thread?  Hockey?

Ok...I'll go with the Brewers.  They will win one game in the first round of the playoffs like a few years ago.  Have no idea who else is or will be good.  I actually don't even think the Brewers will be close to 500, but that wouldn't be fun to post about.

* That was weird...didn't even see Lon's Thread when I wrote this.

Last edited by Ghostseeker (2011-03-31 00:12:14)

Ghostseeker wrote:

Was there a Football Thread?  Hockey?

Feel free to create your own, though you may want to wait on football for a while.

If you start up a hockey thread, put me down for the Flyers all the way to Lord Stanley and his fancy Cup.

^  No...I know I coulda started one.  Wasn't around here when those seasons began...just funny a sport is picked I don't follow at all.  Sounds like there's plenty of interest though.

You know....you're Flyers are looking good, and not just cuz they are in first in East (which means nothin in either conference), but they are playing well, plus made it to the big show last year.

I am a Blackhawk fan and have been since a kid so last year was awesome for me - Heartbreakin for you I'm sure (been there dude, many times).  Hawks may not even make the playoffs this year, but I waited decades for them to win the big one...so I can sit on this for a while.

Ok...Baseball...not hijacking your thread...back at it.  smile

Last edited by Ghostseeker (2011-03-31 00:24:48)

Hijack away!  The FlyGuys were doing great until the last 3 weeks or so- I think they got complacent.  After the Pens win I have some hope that they woke up.  Yeah, last season was a crusher after that monster run they did from getting in on the last game of regular season all the way to the Cup.  The heartbreak in Philly was immense.

The nice thing about baseball is that it's on almost every day when there is nothing else on TV, so if nothing is on on a random Tuesday in July, pop on the game in the background while researching the sexual practices of avacados (fascinating!).

I'm actually kind of an expert with avocado sexual practices...so no need for me to listen to a game while studying that.  I can occasionally watch one, or put one on as I'm doin somethin else, but its rare.  Just not a fan.

Yeah man...got so pissed, thought your Flyers were gounna take it.  They were playin well.  Sixth game, in Philly...Kane puts it in.  Didn't think he did, even as he was cheerin I just watched, then they showed the replay and I lost it...thought I was gounna lose my voice...couldn't believe I just saw the Hawks win the Cup.

I don't mind Philly.  When they had two of my boys, JR and Amonte on there, plus some others they'd be a team in the East for me to root for, now that got mainly European players it seems.  Which is fine, but I root for Americans, and secondly North Americans.

Hey...you guys were the first expansion team to win the cup, and you did it two years in a row around 1975, so you didn't feel the pain of Hawks fans...man it had been years.  Years of not even being competitive.

Ok...done...whew...thanks  smile

Last edited by Ghostseeker (2011-03-31 00:46:01)

^^
Until the Phils won back in '08 it was 25 years since ANY Philly team had one.  And the Eagles haven't won since 1960.   Before the Phils won the WS, you would not believe the frustration built up here. 

I'm wary of Vancouver, though.

Back to baseball, the Braves have a chance at the NL east, maybe the Marlins.  But with the 4 + 1 rotation, even with Utley out I think we're OK.  At least we got rid of that Met's castoff.  And Francisco has been on fire in spring training for our right bat.

No Az...the top teams rarely get it done.  The team that shoots up the rankings and has the most points (when they normally don't) will not go far.  I doubt Vancouver will be in the Western Finals, much less the Cup Finals.  You need to worry bout Boston and Pittsburgh...some other good teams in East, before you worry bout West team at all.  Vancouver ain't doin it though.  Fuckin Sedin twins = Lame.

Ok...like I wrote...no more hijack.  Baseball!  Woo Hoo!

The problem is I don't pay much attention to the west outside of scores.  You sound more knowledgeable, so I defer.  Pitt is running on luck and/or fumes at this point, Boston is probably a threat.

Back to baseball- Rollins smacked a ball off his foot and was limping nicely.  All we need is another injury.

Detroit Tigers all the way!!!!  So pumped that the season is starting!  The weather here in Detroit FINALLY is baseball weather

Funny, someone started one of these threads last year and I was chiding Deadman because he is a Dodgers fan, but I also acknowleged that his Dodgers would likely beat my Giants and lamentted that they probably would finish last in the division.  Then what happens?  The Giants go and win it all!  And to do it with a bunch of cast offs and young pitching, who would have thought?  So this year, who knows?  I would love to see a repeat but I am incredibly happy that the Giants ended that 58 year drought!

being from near toronto i obviously have to cheer for the Blue Jays....yes i know sad right? tongue haha

Alright, we have 7 teams & members 'signed up.'  Yes, I made up a spreadsheet (bite me).  Surprised there has been no overlap yet.  C'mon people, just 24 more teams to cover!

http://dummidumbwit.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/monkey_holding_baseball_bat.jpg?w=276&h=340

http://i51.tinypic.com/mky73r.jpg

Yep, yep...I feel an underdog (not our Underdog) coming on!

Ghostseeker wrote:

http://i51.tinypic.com/mky73r.jpg

Yep, yep...I feel an underdog (not our Underdog) coming on!

Brew Crew?

Yeppers!

I'm from PA, but I've been a Mariners Fan as long as I can remember.

Bleh.  Reds are down by three against the Brewers right now.  Fucking Edison Volquez.  First inning; he gives up a home run each to the first two batters, walks the next, gives up and RBI on the fourth.

The pitching roster's been their biggest weak point the last couple years and it doesn't look like much has changed.  They couldn't have started the season with Arroyo?

Bleh.

OK, got Ghosty & Poppa in the 'sheet.

Sorry, Lon, I don't think the Reds are doing much this year.

Step up people, we still have 22 teams to fill!

Last edited by azathoth (2011-03-31 15:33:15)

I'm a angels fan for life. with vernon wells added from TO i hope they can do better than last year. They're up 2 in K.C. (so far) YIPPEE.

azathoth wrote:

Sorry, Lon, I don't think the Reds are doing much this year.

A frustrating start to the season so far, to be sure.  They've already stranded a dozen potential runs so far and it's the bottom of the 9th. 

EDIT: Tying run's stepping up to bat with no outs!  *fingers crossed*

DOUBLE EDIT:   HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!  Gomes sacced an an RBI, Hernandez cracked a THREE RUN HOMER!

FUCK YOU, BREWERS!!!!   AAAAAAAAAH-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Yay.  Reds win, first game of the season.  Lon is happy.

Last edited by LoudLon (2011-03-31 16:25:04)

LoudLon wrote:

FUCK YOU, BREWERS!!!!   AAAAAAAAAH-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Yay.  Reds win, first game of the season.  Lon is happy.

Nope, never would have guessed that.  big_smile

daxter wrote:

I'm a angels fan for life. with vernon wells added from TO i hope they can do better than last year. They're up 2 in K.C. (so far) YIPPEE.

You've been added.

Ah, you bold, italicized and underscored "happy" for me.  You're too good to me, you really are.*

*loaded to the hilt with sarcasm