Re: Your Favorite Stephen King Adaptation

The Shawshank Redemption. Great, great movie.

Tripod wrote:

The Shawshank Redemption. Great, great movie.

That movie pretty much is a trump card. Hence the term Shawshanked.

As in, "I was going to watch TV but The Shining shawshanked me."

So i gotta say, I agree. It's very well done.

I'm going to have to go with the original TV Salem's Lot.  I was younger then (shocker, I know!) and some of the scenes still stick with me. 

Though the one that haunts me the most is not even scary by itself.  The scene when the guy was in the cemetery all by himself, and the wind starts blowing.  The next day I'm outside playing on a friend's swing/gym set by myself.  The wind picks up hard out of nowhere, and I realize I haven't seen a single person or heard a car since I came out of my house 1/2 hour ago.

I freaked.  big_smile  Those 2 are linked forever in my mind, and I can still get antsy if I'm all alone outside and there is a strong wind blowing.  Nifty, huh?  lol

My personal favorite Stephen King movies are

The Mist - 2 disc DVD
Christine - an odd choice for John Carpenter to do but still a great movie
Rose Red - I cant stand this movie but I also like it at the same time lol
Pet Semetary
The stand
It
The Shining - Kubrick version
Silver Bullet
Creepshow
Thinner
Sleepwalkers- movie is so dumb and cheesy and hammy but I also love it due to Mark Hamill doing a cameo in the very beginning as one of the cops

azathoth wrote:

I'm going to have to go with the original TV Salem's Lot.  I was younger then (shocker, I know!) and some of the scenes still stick with me. 

Though the one that haunts me the most is not even scary by itself.  The scene when the guy was in the cemetery all by himself, and the wind starts blowing.  The next day I'm outside playing on a friend's swing/gym set by myself.  The wind picks up hard out of nowhere, and I realize I haven't seen a single person or heard a car since I came out of my house 1/2 hour ago.

I freaked.  big_smile  Those 2 are linked forever in my mind, and I can still get antsy if I'm all alone outside and there is a strong wind blowing.  Nifty, huh?  lol

Nice Azz smile    My fear as a child was the Mirror in a dark bathroom.  All because my friend wanted to play Bloody Mary when we were around 7-8

azathoth wrote:

I'm going to have to go with the original TV Salem's Lot. 

:

I LOVE Salem's Lot!!!  How could I forget that one!  smile

urrutiap wrote:

My personal favorite Stephen King movies are

The Mist - 2 disc DVD
Christine - an odd choice for John Carpenter to do but still a great movie
Rose Red - I cant stand this movie but I also like it at the same time lol
Pet Semetary
The stand
It
The Shining - Kubrick version
Silver Bullet
Creepshow
Thinner
Sleepwalkers- movie is so dumb and cheesy and hammy but I also love it due to Mark Hamill doing a cameo in the very beginning as one of the cops

The worst adaption ive seen by a long mile is The Stand. Pretty Dire. The characters are totally miscast, some of the acting is sub par and some scenes are laughably directed.  Having the read the book i think it is infinitely times better and the tv movie is a disgrace to its name. I believe i gave it a 4/10 in my Morguespace.