Re: The Amazing Spider-Man (2012)

LoudLon wrote:

Oh, man, New Universe was a travesty!  They had one title that was good -- The 'Nam -- but within the space of just a few issues even that one became a joke.

actually i liked the idea of new universe, this "event" happens and people start developing powers in the real world.
each title had its moments but some were cluster fucks.

the good ones (for awhile at least) were - d.p,7 (Displaced Paranormals 7), psi-force, and starbrand.

a lot of potential was there but they soon dissolved into bad writing and poor story arcs, and the universe folded after 3 years.

edit- more cut off posts... and also just read the problems with quality were because marvel cut the budget on that line drastically early on, basically hamstringing jim shooters ability to improve on it and get better talent for it.

Last edited by survivalist (2011-08-10 17:59:50)

Ooh, I'd forgotten about DP7.  Oh, and Kickers, Inc. was one along with The 'Nam that I was into for a while.

Now to those who have seen it and stayed after the credits for the post-credit scene, who do you think the man talking to Dr. Connors was in the post-credit scene? Rhys Irrfan (sp?) confirmed it wasn't Norman Osborne but an Oscorp employee. Some people say it's Electro because the lightning appears as soon as the mysterious man does and the lightning is gone as soon as he is. Others say it's Mysterio pullinf an allusion, and some say it's Morbius using his psychic powers. Anyone have any theories as to who this man could be?

I think Ifan's is just spreading disinformation.  Considering the flick featured Peter's parents as scientists working with Oscorp, then they're obviously taking their cues from the Ultimate Spider-man series as opposed to the original Amazing Spider-Man series, in which Peter's parents were just regular folks who died in an accident while he was still very young.  And since in the Ultimate series Norman Osborn is the one responsible for killing Peter's parents, I'd say that's definitely him in that mid-credit sequence.

And I think they'll bring in Green Goblin at some point and have him ultimately be Gwen Stacy's cause of death. The GG is Spider-Man's quintessential arch-nemesis and with the death of Gwen it will go back to the theme of "Loss" in the Spider-Man movies as he lost his parents, his uncle, and possibly his girlfriend.

^^^ Well, I've read rumors that they're going to kill Gwen off in the sequel in keeping with her death in the comics, but honestly, I don't want to see Green Goblin again.  These movies use the same characters over and over, y'know?  Like the Batman movies.  We've had two Jokers, two Two-Faces, two Banes, two Cat-Womans...  These characters -- Spider-Man even more so than Batman -- have such a wide variety of villains these filmmakers could use,  but noooooooo.

For ASM 2, why not have a Chameleon story?  Or Rhino?  The Vulture?  The Beetle?  Hobgoblin (who I always preferred over GG anyway)?  Or hell, even a Kingpin story?  After all, he was a Spider-Man villain LONG before the writers of Daredevil re-appropriated him.

So, kill off Gwen in the next movie, fine.  But please...give us a villain we haven't seen in a movie yet.  I'm begging!

^^ I can agree with that plus I think Willem Dafoe was awesome as GG so it would take away from that, and I would love to see Mysterio as a villain in a Spiderman movie, I still have yet to see ASM I thought it looked far too much like the first and just more recycled crap

If they do bring Mysterio, I just hope they don't add the big Buzz-Lightyear looking dome on his costume. Some villains look campy, but I hope they atleast revamp their looks.

JJ -- it's nothing at all like Raimi's Spider-Man flicks.  Those were big, bright colorful films; ASM is darker, edgier.  Kind of like Batman Begins.  But, you know, with a spider guy. tongue

Tri -- I actually wouldn't mind the big dome head.  I think every villain should have a trademark; for Green Goblin it's those big eyes and ears.  For Doc Ock it's the shades.  For Dr. Doom it's that dreadnaught mask.  And for Mysterio, it's the big fishbowl head.  Tweak it, sure, but don't just lose it altogether.  He's just not Mysterio without it!