Re: Last Documentary You Watched?

To be honest I can't remember the names.
My fiancé will find something he likes on youtube and we watch it.
Usually something scientific or about alien conspiracies.

The 99 Percent.

Bill Hicks: Outlaw Comedy.

BBC A History of Horror 3 part series

Host, Mark Gatiss, who is obviously a Horror fan, takes us through the decades with a history lesson on Horror movies.

Part 1- The old black and white movies from Universal
Part 2- Hammer Movies and other gothic style movies from the 50s and 60s.
Part 3- 70s exploitation movies like Texas Chainsaw, Exorcist, The Omen....etc.

All 3 have great interviews with lots of directors and actors.  Well done.

Terror in the Aisles- 10/10 Best documentary on Horror I've seen.  Donald Pleasance is the host who shows us some of the best scenes in Horror movies.  I picked it up on VHS yesterday but I think it is on youtube smile

If you're digging on horror movie docs, DG, here are some worth checking out (though I'm sure you've probably seen some of them already) :

Nightmares in Red, White and Blue
Lovecraft: Fear of the Unknown
More Brains: A Return to the Living Dead
An American Nightmare
Video Nasties: The Definitive Guide
Bravo's 100 Scariest Movie Moments
Bravo's 30 Even Scarier Movie Moments
Never Sleep Again: The Elm Street Legacy
His Name Was Jason: 30 Years of Friday the 13th
Document of the Dead
John Carpenter: Fear is Just the Beginning
Going to Pieces: The Rise and Fall of the Slasher Film
Best Worst Movie
Texas Chainsaw Massacre: A Family Portrait
Tales from the Script (a screenwriting documentary, but which features such horror luminaries as Carpenter and Frank Darabont)

Back And Fourth the documentary on the foo fighters, it is so awesome i love it

LoudLon wrote:

If you're digging on horror movie docs, DG, here are some worth checking out (though I'm sure you've probably seen some of them already) :

Nightmares in Red, White and Blue
Lovecraft: Fear of the Unknown
More Brains: A Return to the Living Dead
An American Nightmare
Video Nasties: The Definitive Guide
Bravo's 100 Scariest Movie Moments
Bravo's 30 Even Scarier Movie Moments
Never Sleep Again: The Elm Street Legacy
His Name Was Jason: 30 Years of Friday the 13th
Document of the Dead
John Carpenter: Fear is Just the Beginning
Going to Pieces: The Rise and Fall of the Slasher Film
Best Worst Movie
Texas Chainsaw Massacre: A Family Portrait
Tales from the Script (a screenwriting documentary, but which features such horror luminaries as Carpenter and Frank Darabont)

Awesome list Lon,  I see a few on there I haven't seen yet smile

I could list plenty of others but those are personal favorites.  I'm one of those dorks who doesn't just watch horror movies, I study the damn things. lol

Anyone see:
Rumpled Foreskin
Ones midgets fight to the top of the Fluffer industry.

^ Sounds right down your alley Swollen.  smile

Lots of the ones Lon listed are instants on Flix...just FYI for anyone.

Saw Machete Maidens.  This was a great documentary...fast paced and entertaining.

^^
If anyone has Comcast OnDemand, "His Name Was Jason" is available free under 'free movies' right now.

Wikileaks: War, Lies, and Videotape

Paradise Lost 3: Purgatory.  Everybody knows by now that the West Memphis 3 were released after eighteen years of imprisonment, due to having agreed to accept the Alford Plea.  The Alford Plea allows a convict to be released with time served, but only if they admit guilt.  However, they are free to continue to profess their innocence, though acceptance of the plea also negates the  right to sue the state for false imprisonment.  Basically, these men just spent eighteen years in prison for absolutely nothing. 

I don't bring this up to start a debate or anything; I know opinions on this particular subject range from one end of the spectrum to the other.  But if you're of the opinion that the WM3 are actually guilty, watch this final chapter in the WM3 saga.  Trust me -- your mind will be changed.  And not because of any slant or manipulation on the filmmakers' parts, but by the presentation of  cold, hard facts and the genuine DNA evidence which has surfaced in the last few years courtesy of tests which didn't exist at the time of the original trial. 

Does this new DNA evidence prove who really killed those poor kids?  Sadly, no. 

But it absolutely, incontrovertibly proves who didn't.

The Doors: When You're Strange

I've seen this film more then a dozen times and I still love it.

Boogeymen II: Masters of Horror

Lon...I respect your opinion on the WM3.  As you know we disagree on this.  I am working on getting PL3, and will watch it.  I knew this was coming out, but didn't realize it had already.  I will tell you, that with the amount I have studied and read about this case (albeit, it has been a while since I read a lot of it), I know that an infomercial put on by supporters of them will probably not change my mind.

Again, I respect your opinion, and I know we will not get in a pissing match with each other.  Here is the thing I have issue with.  You have wrote several times that because there was DNA found as the crime scene that does not come back to the WM3 it proves they did not do the murders.

Lon, this is absolutely wrong.  There is no way around this.  That statement is just not correct.  All it shows is that DNA evidence of the WM3 was not found at the scene.  They found DNA samples of someone else, that doesn't mean it was of the killer.  You keep writing that the DNA was of the killers.  Based on what?  They found a hair from one of the boy's father (if I remember right), doesn't mean that hair belonged to the murderer.  Or other DNA evidence found, does not mean it was of the killers, and that the WM3 didn't do this crime. 

Keep in mind DNA was not collected like it is now (I realize you know this, but it is relevant for you argument), so it is not surprising they did not find DNA.  Yes, I know they can test DNA evidence collected back then.

Again, I am not arguing guilt, or trying to change minds.  However, again, your statement is not accurate.  I will watch the doc as soon as I can.  Who knows, maybe it will change my mind.

Fair enough, GS, but just to clarify, I never said the DNA belonged to the killer; I said the DNA  doesn't prove who the killer is, only who it isn't.

The brass tacks are that, then and now, there was and is nothing, be it testimony, evidence or DNA, which places any of the three at the scene of the crime. 

1. All three had verified alibis for the time of the murder (one was at home with family, one was at a wrestling match with friends, the third was, I believe, at a concert with friends, or something like that). 

2. There is nothing to establish any kind of motive.  The "satan worshiping" thing came as the result of testimony buy an unqualified, self-proclaimed Satanic cult "expert" who seemed to be making up his points "facts" as he went along.  The prosecution produced drawings found in Damien Ecchols' notebook of Satanic imagery.  Big whoop; I used to draw that crap as a teenager, too.  Doesn't mean I killed anyone.

3.  There is no physical evidence or weapon which ties any of the accused to the crime. 

Motive, opportunity, evidence.  If even one of those is missing, it establishes a reasonable doubt.  How many of those did the prosecution produce?  Not a one.  Their case was built on the aforementioned "expert" testimony and an unlawfully coerced confession by a borderline retarded teenager, which wasn't even allowed into evidence, which means it should never have been taken into consideration when the jury deliberated -- but was, anyway.  That alone should have resulted in a mistrial; that the prosecution couldn't establish motive, opportunity and had no physical evidence or a weapon means the defense had THREE TIMES THE AMOUNT OF REASONABLE DOUBT they would have needed for an acquittal. 

Yet all three got a guilty verdict anyway.  That's what caught the interest of the filmmakers to begin with -- that three teenagers were found guilty of murder and sentened to prison and death without a single shred of evidence.

Anyway, all that said, when I said "your mind will be changed" it's because I thought the DNA evidence, the debunking of mis-identified evidence by genuine, experienced experts and other facts discovered subsequent to the original trial which were presented in PL3 actually were strong enough that any doubts would be allieved.  It had nothing to do, like I said, with any kind of slant or subjectivity on the part of the filmmakers; I seriously thought the evidence and real expert testimony were enough.  Obviously, I was wrong LOL

I respect your opinion, GS, but as you've said before on this, we agree to disagree.  Nothin' but love, yo. smile

LoudLon wrote:

Fair enough, GS, but just to clarify, I never said the DNA belonged to the killer; I said the DNA  doesn't prove who the killer is, only who it isn't.

That's my point though...it doesn't prove who the killer isn't.  Not at all.  Using that logic, any time DNA is found, the only person that could be convicted of the crime is the person it belongs to.  So if someone did a crime and didn't leave DNA, it could never be them.

Don't get me wrong...I admit the DNA issue certainly helps the WM3.  Just saying in no way does it prove it wasn't them.

There is evidence against all your points.

There is evidence that Miskelly actually has a relatively high IQ, and is not the "retard" the defense claimed.  Whether or not there was misconduct with this confession has been looked at  by many people including judges.  Maybe it was, still the confession is evidence at this point. 

No, they did not all have alibi's initially.  Damien's alibi changed three times.  People testified he admitted to being there.  There are holes in the other alibis too.   

The prosecution produced drawings found in Damien Ecchols' notebook of Satanic imagery.  Big whoop; I used to draw that crap as a teenager, too.  Doesn't mean I killed anyone.

Exactly, were you ever convicted of a crime because of it?  I was into weird stuff too, and I wasn't.  That whole thing was blown out of proportion by the defense more than the prosecution used it.

They did have as knife of evidence (admittedly, my recollection of the specifics of this is off).  No, they did not prove it was part of the crime, but still, to say there was no evidence or weapon is not true.

Listen, I am not trying to retry the case.  I'm not trying to convince you or anyone else.  However, to say there is no evidence, and this was cuz they listened to Metallica, is wrong.  Whether or not you think there is reasonable doubt is another thing.  However, yes, there was evidence.

We will have to disagree on this one, as you wrote.  smile

Last edited by Ghostseeker (2012-01-20 19:45:46)

Pearl Jam Twenty

Ghostseeker wrote:
LoudLon wrote:

Fair enough, GS, but just to clarify, I never said my chaps were "wet leather" at least they didnt start out that way

That's my point though...you should buy wet or latex, the clean up when we're done is just eaiser:)

Any who, I just watched part of Lemie about the lead singer of motorhead. will finish tonight.

Buy the Ticket, Take the Ride and Gonzo. Man, I miss Hunter Thompson.

Paradise Lost 3.  Interesting and well done.

Not trying to antagonize anyone (honestly), but it was exactly what I thought it would be.  Clearly it was one sided.  The only thing that surprised me is that they let the prosecutor talk a bit, though they obviously felt what he was saying helped the WM3.

I think there are very intelligent people that have looked into this case, looked into the evidence and think that the WM3 did not commit this crime.  Some of them had been at the court proceedings (I've read some of their opinions).  The exact same can be said for people that think they are guilty.

However, I have read many opinions of people that have written something similar to - "I just saw Paradise Lost.  I can't believe they put those boys in prison with no evidence and for listening to heavy metal music."  Seriously, I have no respect for those people (or at least that opinion).  It is moronic to not realize how bias something is.  I have not read that from anyone here (just to clarify). 

Anyway...again, there are intelligent people on both sides of this opinion.  Whatever it was that happened, I hope the person, or persons, that murdered those boys rot in hell.

Last edited by Ghostseeker (2012-01-20 22:57:10)

Ghostseeker wrote:

Whatever it was that happened, I hope the person, or persons, that murdered those boys rot in hell.

This part we both completely agree on.  The saddest thing about this whole WM3 thing is the fact that the sensationalism of the whole "did they or didn't they" thing has completely trivialized the fact that there are three little boys who will never celebrate another birthday, be hugged by their mothers, enjoy a first kiss, graduate high school... 

Since I first learned about this case back in '99, my anger has always been with the judicial system, but my sympathies have always been with the victims' parents.  As a father myself I cannot imagine how devastating it is to lose a child, and I wouldn't want to imagine.

recently I watched   Inside Deep Throat  lol it was actrually interesting ..  everything that happened when this movie came out and the years after..
http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/B000A1INIU.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

and I watched Nightmares in Red White and Blue

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_W6iVE9QpO2c/TNLEYnaQNfI/AAAAAAAAA5c/fFo0oPdNSxE/s1600/nightmaresposter.jpg