Topic: Pariah by Bob Fingerman

I haven't read any of this author's other books, but I saw this one, and it was a zombie novel, so I figured I would give it a shot. It was great! The story centers around a group of survivors holed up in an apartment building. The zombie plague has been going on for several months, and they are running out of food. There's a supermarket across the street, but they can't get to it. By this point, they all resemble concentration camp prisoners, and are too weak to do much more than lay around. There's also flashbacks to when the crisis began, and how various characters made it back to the apartment building.

The characters are resigned to their fate, they figure they will start dying off in a couple of weeks due to starvation. Then, a mysterious young woman appears on the street, and the zombies don't attack her, they actually move out of her way as she walks. From there, the story takes a different turn.

This is now one of my favorite zombie books, I would put it up there with Rhiannon Frater's As The World Dies trilogy, just behind it. It may not be for every zombie fan, there is zombie action, but it's sparse. Fingerman uses the zombies mainly as a backdrop for the story, it focuses more on the relationships in the apartment building. Day Of The Dead has always been my favorite Romero zombie movie, mainly for the same reason, we see the psychological effect of the zombie plague on the survivors. If you're into that kind of story, then I highly recommend this novel.