Re: What Games Have You Liked That Actually Scared You?

Baby_Firefly wrote:

Silent Hill 3. A few times I screamed out loud and dropped the controller lol. Then my mum came running in like 'what happened!!!'.

Oh, you'd scream if Bobo sneaked up on you and gave you a surprise hug.  lol

^^I remember Atmosphere! I've still got a copy somewhere around, when I was about 8-9 we found that really scary big_smile Great concept for a game

One I played recently was SAW and SAWII for Xbox 360. Because it's so dark and you can hardly see anything, whenever anything like pighead jumped out at you I really jumped, my heart was pounding! A lot of times games scare me more than films, I think it's something to do with the fact that you're actually 'in' the game playing it so it feels more real. Great games though smile

Never been scared by a game, but I think "startled" would be a better word for me to use.

The Dead Space series has alot of  jump scenes, and for pure creepiness - the Silent Hill series.

The Condemned 1 & 2 have some good moments that make you jump. Also manhunt for ps2 can make you jump.

I also remember playing Nightmare as a kid at sleepover parties and would lie awake for hours that night! Someone uploaded the entire Nightmare VHS tape on YouTube: http://youtu.be/DvrbpG_-Vrk  Ah, the memories.

I had Atmosfear II with Baron Samedi

http://www.games2collect.com/Data/Compendium%20Items/Pictures/A/Atmosfear%20II%20Baron%20Samedi%20Zombie%20VHS%201992%20Spears%2001.jpg

Awesome stuff!

Scary games?  I saw my arse a couple of times in the Silent Hill series.  Those Split-Dogs in SH2 that jump at you while howling don't half make you jump.

Dead Space 2 for the most part is pretty action-y.  But the part where you have to reboard the Ishimura and for a good ten minutes there are no enemies, that was genuinely scary.  You're retreading the decks of the first game and it's been for the most part cleaned up and sterilised.  It's all atmosphere.

Both Dead Space games have a very disturbing element.  The first time you encounter an Infector and it creates a badass version of the Slasher you realise that leaving a bunch of corpses around is a liability.  So you get into the habit of entering a room and stomping every corpse to bits.  And after a few hours it starts to affect you psychologically once you realise your technique is

Alright well I am a bit younger so I have been playing some RPG's that are horror based. One in particullar has actually made me leave the computer in the other room and wait until I returned back to it. That would be SCP:Containment Breach.
Here are some games you guys would possibly be familiar with:
-The Suffering
-Resident Evil 2
-Silent Hill 2
-FEAR
-Ju-On The Grudge House
-Friday the 13th (NES) ~Whenever Jason finds it's dandy to just pop up out of nowhere~

When I was very little there was a Rugrats Videogame where you went through a funhouse-maze filled with clowns and the music was eerie. That was something that used to scare me, but I still loved it. I don't scared much with movies, but with videogames it seems like another story, because you are interacting with the storyline.

On some parts Arkham City has scared me, namely the mission in the game where you have to track down Killer Croc in the sewer and any moment he can pop up and try to kill you. The way the villains were made was creepy, which is what I liked about the game.

I'm working on Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem (old GameCube game).  It's got some funky stuff going on, especially the sanity effects.  Eesh, they're creepy.  (Go look up "Eternal Darkness sanity effects" on YouTube for some examples)

^^ I have been searching around local game-shops for Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem, you should post a summary of the different things when you finish. It would be interesting to read. ><

-Z- wrote:

none

In which case either...

a:  You haven't played any decent scary games

b:  You're a psychopath

@BrandonM-  I don't know if you've heard of the Angry Video Game Nerd (AVGN).  He's a guy that does comedic reviews of older games; they're funny as hell since he does flip his lid.   Here's his F13th review.  (YouTube link)

Also, I've had to slack on Eternal Darkness playing, but I'll try to do a post on each chapter.  I've finished the 1st chapter, which gives you the background and lets you play the 1st flashback.  This isn't a spoiler, but the main thing is you get to choose which of the 3 alignments the bad guy will be.  Game play wasn't bad, I had some trouble getting used to the GameCube controller for a bit.  The ability to target different body parts is fun- take off 2 bad guys' heads, and if they bump into each other they start fighting each other!  big_smile  I'm just an average gamer (at best), so I found the 'Normal' setting challenging.  Nothing wacky happened yet.

I've only started the 2nd chapter, so it may be a while.

@TeethCutlery (that would be Knives4Teeth; what I give nicknames to everyone!  big_smile )-  Yeah, -Z- is pretty nuts.  But we still love him.

Knives4Teeth wrote:
-Z- wrote:

none

In which case either...

a:  You haven't played any decent scary games

b:  You're a psychopath

c:  You play these games in a well lit room / with friends

d:  You're simply amazing at some video games, so much so that even on the hardest difficulty settings they offer virtually no challenge at all

e:  A psychological abnormality different to (b)

f:  You're lying

Thought I best cover some bases for what is (on the face of it (b:)) a ludicrous comment.  My point is this, if most people play the right game, in the right settings (alone, in the dark, big tv, big sound) then at points throughout the game you will experience psychological reactions to the action on screen, psychological reactions that will trigger immediate physiological reactions (jumping / adrenaline rushes etc)... Unless there is something wrong / different with you.

In the case of the Z (a total stranger to myself), I would imagine that the most likely reasons for him to say that no 'horror' games have ever scared  him would be (a) (c) or (f)

(b) would be 1 in 100 probability (according to contemporary scientific wisdom)

(d) would be extremely unlikely

(e) I have no idea of the likelihood of this

Oh Monkeyman, I have played eternal dankness sanitys... Good game, diddn't complete it, got about 3/4 through and got totally stuck, a black spot on my gaming history, one that one day I should attempt to remove.  I diddn't find the game that scary, though if I remember rightly it did have its moments.  Hope you get further than me, though if you do I'll have to stop reading.  Good luck, maybe it was just me being a bit dumb but I remember the game had a few tough bits.. to do with spell creation is all I'll say (or can really remember).

Another good one from that era was alone in the dark 4 - new nightmare, in fact I prefer that game to Res Evil I, II and III and to Silent Hill I... though I did enjoy the Res's very much and Silent beats them all for me in terms of sheer creepyness and nastiness.  Alone 4 was my favorite of the bunch, loved unfolding the story, plot was good and the use of a flashlight was great in it. 

Speaking of which I'd definitely recommend Alan Wake as well.  While it is pretty repetitive overall, what it does feels so good and looks so great that I can forgive it most of its shortcomings.

The first couple Resident Evils had some terrific atmosphere and a handful of decent jump scares.

Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth is nicely creepy, but can be very frustrating at times.

I remember jumping whenever Jason showed up in the old NES Friday the 13th game.  Horrible game, but you'd walk into some random cabin and then BING, a musical sting and there was Jason coming at you.

Silent Hills 1 and 2 had an enjoyable unnerving quality (haven't played any past those).

Fatal Frames II (the only one I've played) had some eerie, foreboding atmosphere.

Those are the only ones coming to me at the moment.

Manhunt (PC):  Not so much scary as intensely suspensful, as you spend the entire game sneaking up on and execiting hunters in increasingly brutal fashion in decrepit environments.  You're a pawn in a powerful snuff filmmaker's (voiced by Brian Cox!) twisted game and have to use stealth to survive his world of horror.  What makes the game so suspenseful is that you can't just run about shooting guys, you have sneek up on them and take the opportunity to strike when they can't see you.  If you bump into to something or are seen, they will chase you down and alert other hunters to your prescence.  The score is very Carpenter-esque and adds to the lurid slasher vibe of the game.  As you creep about trying to avoid being detected and stalking hunters, you can hear them talking (the dialogue is hilarious, though) and making noise.  It definitely keeps you on edge.  There's a couple of great shock moments sprinkled throughout, and the environments are the stuff of your Hostel/Saw fueled nightmares (especially Piggy's TCM inspired lair!).  A great game for sadists.  Manhunt 2 was fine, but suffered from heavy censorship in the execution scenes.

Clive Barker's Undying (PC):  This was a great FPS/adventure game that put you in the middle of a story concerning a man, who upon returning home, discovers that his siblings are possessed by evil and the family estate has been overrun by all manner of ghoul and monster.  The whole game is great fun to play, but it's particulary scary in the early stages as you explore the mansion for the 1st time.  Who know's what you'll see when you look into a mirror or at a painting, and don't be surprised to see ghosts suddenly appear to attack or simply go about their business.  You'll hear monsters coming for you before you see them and hear phantom voices and laughing at anytime.  The second half of the game seems more fantasy-oriented, but it's still one of the most complete stories I've experienced in a game.

^^^ How could I forget Manhunt?  Used to play that on PS2 quite frequently back in the day.  I recently "acquired" (ahem) a PC version and have been playing it often, as well.  Favorite chapter: the loony bin.  The one killer walking around while incessantly bitching about "Mary" is actually pretty damned creepy!

Incidentally, I'd love to see a Manhunt-style Friday the 13th game.  As Jason, your goal is to rid Crystal Lake of various trespassing teens and the occasional bum hoping to score some of Ethel's best goddamn stew in the world. lol

I've never heard of Undying.  Is that an older game, or...?

LoudLon wrote:

^^^ How could I forget Manhunt?  Used to play that on PS2 quite frequently back in the day.  I recently "acquired" (ahem) a PC version and have been playing it often, as well.  Favorite chapter: the loony bin.  The one killer walking around while incessantly bitching about "Mary" is actually pretty damned creepy!

Incidentally, I'd love to see a Manhunt-style Friday the 13th game.  As Jason, your goal is to rid Crystal Lake of various trespassing teens and the occasional bum hoping to score some of Ethel's best goddamn stew in the world. lol

I've never heard of Undying.  Is that an older game, or...?

Undying is an older PC game.  Not sure if there was a console version.  It has to be early 2000s.  A great game if you can find it.

Lon, I love the looney bin scenes as well.  The background character dialogue throughout the game is priceless.

I'd love to see a F13 game in the style of Manhunt as well, though I don't see Jason giving a damn about stealth.  You could even give it a bit of a Dead Rising vibe and allow Jason to create weapons from whatever he finds laying about.

We actually have a thread around here somewhere asking for ideas for video games based on movies/tv shows.  I dropped the F13 idea back then, though I think I elaborated on it a bit more.

I should dig that up.  I recall it being a rather interestting read...

Fatal Frame is the game I have the most regret for not having played.  Have heard it was one of the most intensely scary games of that era, I'm sure that I'd have loved it.  It simply never appeared on my radar back then, couldn't play it nowadays no matter how good it is - gameplay is always more important than graphics obviously, but these days owning a 360 I just couldn't abide decade + old graphics.

I'm gonna go for naming possibly the oldest game in this thread.  An RPG for the Amiga called Eye of the Beholder - The giant spider level, just below the dwarf chambers... you havent yet got fireball and one hit from a spider means death for one of your characters - very limited supply of antivenom.  Incredibly basic graphics and sound.. but that clicking noise (a spider nearby) would still send shivers up and down my body now.

^^
ToothyOne- Yeah, it's not outright scary, but has a nice eeriness to it.  Freaking statue heads!  Right on about Alan Wake- haven't played it, but watched a Let's Play of it.  It has repetitiveness, but there's enough other stuff going on that it's not too bad.

LoudLon wrote:

We actually have a thread around here somewhere asking for ideas for video games based on movies/tv shows.  I dropped the F13 idea back then, though I think I elaborated on it a bit more.

I should dig that up.  I recall it being a rather interestting read...

Found it: http://www.horror-movies.ca/Forum/viewt … p?id=27479

I had completely forgotten that I actually started that thread. lol

kiss chase

Fatal Frame 2 was the scariest game I played when I was younger.

Now Amnesia: The Dark Descent is the scariest. I am very surprised that nobody mentioned it. Steam usually has it on sale for $5 to $10. Easily the scariest game available.

That's weird, I didn't notice no one mentioned Amnesia.  Now there a ton of mods for it, too.  Some are really good.  Like this one.  Dude just freaks.

Also reminds me that I need to get my butt back on Eternal Darkness; the Olympics really sidetracked me.

Last edited by azathoth (2012-08-14 16:56:48)