Topic: Last Days Of The Sopranos...Yeah, I Finally Seen It

I know, I know...it's been years since the last episodes aired and I had many countless opportunities to see them.  But for some strange reason I never wanted to see the final season 'til now.  When the final season first aired, I kept hearing about it for days.  There were some good reviews but most people I heard from kept going on about how it was b***s***.  Well, I'll add my 2¢ and say that I agree with those who spoke positive.  I loved the way it ended.

The serious build up on the suspense of the family gathering at the restaurant then suddenly a blank screen and you're left hanging wondering what happen and, if anything did happen, who did it (or maybe everybody just had a nice meal and good conversation then left happily, who knows...and that's the point).  Perfect ending, PERFECT ENDING, to a classic and a deep underlying statement on the basis of what the series was primarily about.

Ehh, that's it, that's all I wanted to say.

Oh yeah, I also dug the a little bit of comedy with Paulie and the cat too.

Re: Last Days Of The Sopranos...Yeah, I Finally Seen It

I also loved how the show ended.  But before I go into details...

SPOILER ALERT (left click and drag over the space below if you want the finale ruined for you):

Many, many, many folks claim Tony is killed in that final episode (for in-depth dissertations on how they came about that conclusion, just browse the 'net -- you'll find a plethora of discussions on it) but what they fail to realize is that the show's creator has said subsequently that he would love to do a Soprano's movie, but now, years later, he doesn't think there will be much interest.

And how can you make a Sopranos movie, without Tony Soprano?  That he's even considered adapting the material into a film proves he didn't kill Tony off. 

So the naysayers can disagree all they'd like; me, I took the final scene as meaning Tony would spend the rest of his life banally, with his own family, having neither learned nor grown despite all the ups and downs he experienced during the course of the show.  At worst, he'll be paranoid and keep having to look over his shoulder (as witnessed by the fact that he keeps suspiciously eyeing the guy in the restaurant who did nothing more threatening than make eye contact with him).

In other words, he's destined to just...be.  Which is the worst possible fate for Tony, a man who has spent years struggling with the very life style he's doomed himself to.

END SPOILER

Ah, I love discussing that final scene with folks... lol

Re: Last Days Of The Sopranos...Yeah, I Finally Seen It

Yeah, a really nice analysis Lon. 

Your summation goes inline with what I meant when I said, "a deep underlying statement on the basis of what the series was primarily about".  Tony chose a lifestyle where he may be the king, sort of speak, but he have go through life constantly looking over his shoulders.  The ending of the last episode brilliantly illustrated that based on him being a little edgy while his loving family innocently gathering with him in the open at the restaurant.  A really powerful statement.