Topic: ExtraLife Gaming for Charity

Figured I would put this on here. Hope someone will help me out.

There is this charity called ExtraLife and what people (like me) do is try to play video games for as long as you can for a 24 hour period and people donate money to support. Each dollar donated goes to a Children's Miracle Network Hospital across the country. To me this is a very worth-while cause and they don't ask for people to donate an arm and a leg. Just a dollar here and there.

So, think about it. If you can awesome, if you can't I understand completely.

I just feel this is something I have to do. I am medically unable to work or drive. So, this is my contribution.

Here is the link to my profile for this event. Thanks for reading!

http://www.extra-life.org/index.cfm?fus … antID=8131

Re: ExtraLife Gaming for Charity

I'd be happy to, but my Xbox 360 crashed a few months back and I haven't got a new one yet. hmm

^^You don't have to game yourself. I'm trying to gain supporters for the 24 hours that I will be gaming!!

I checked out the site.  Very cool and great idea.  What games do you, or will you, play?  Do you compete against others as you play?  Like, do you play video games against other people?  If so, in person or on-line?  Just curious.

As far as I know as long as you're logged in and playing it doesn't matter what you play or who you play with. I don't think there is any real competition. Everyone just plays to earn the money for the charities. Pretty cool stuff. PM me with your gamertag if you want and we can play some anytime!

I'll probably be playing Dead Island, Red Dead, Borderlands, Bad Company 2, stuff like that.

Children's Miracle Network is a great charity no doubt. I'm in a disc golf league and we donate 20% of proceeds to charity. How it works is: winner of the men's division get's to pick his fav charity to donate to. So far * fingers crossed* I'm in 1st place, with one more match to go next Sat. if I do win? Childrens Miracle Network is the charity I have picked to donate to. Anyhoos, I donated a meager $3.00 on your behalf. So...GL and give it your best shot, Matt!

Last edited by Underdog (2011-09-17 17:02:35)

^^Good luck with your event! And a HUGE thank you for the donation! This is all very exciting for me. There is no such thing as a "meager" donation!

Any other donations would be much appreciated!

I was trying to think of something to do for donating from this site.. I have a ton of movie posters. I'll think on it and see what I can come up with. Be a fun incentive to donate!

Your welcome & it was my pleasure!

Okay, so I have a scream 4 poster. It's approx 4'x6' (yes that's feet it's HUGE). It is laminated and freaking awesome!

I'll pick a random person to give it too (including y'all across the pond) who donate to my profile. I figure that's a pretty cool incentive to help out! I'll try to put up a pic of it later.

Let me know what y'all think about this!

Already over $100 donated!! Still quite a ways from my $500 goal.

What do y'all think about the above idea? I have other posters that I could go through to see what I can add to that.

^ Congrats on things so far. 

As far as giving away posters...not sure how much it would help as people would probably donate if they can, regardless of a prize.  Prob couldn't hurt though.

Either way good luck.

^^That's true. Just thought I'd offer up the chance to get something cool for helping out.

And thanks!

Ended up with over $200 in donations! But the real news is that all together everyone raised ove $1,000,000 in donations for the Children's Miracle Network Hospitals!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Feels good to have been a part of that! So much money raised for an awesome cause!

Thanks to those from here who donated!

That's great news, z3!! Thanks for keeping us updated.

I'm just so happy at how well it went! The amount of donations is astonishing!

I thought I would share a bit about this event. Rather than creating a new thread I figured I would just keep this one open.

First, a little history of this awesome group of people I'm proud to be a part of.

ExtraLife wrote:

The little fundraiser that started right here 4 years ago, just broke 1 million dollars raised to help save sick kids at over 185 children’s hospitals around the world. More donations continue to stream in.

This is one of the most memorable moments of my life, and if you’re an Extra Lifer, it ought to be yours.  Because I sure as hell didn’t raise a million dollars.  We all did.

For the history buffs here were the Extra Life totals in the past:

2008 – $121,000 – 1165 gamers

2009 – $170,000 – 1654 gamers

2010 – $465,000 – 3299 gamers

2011 – $1,000,000 AND CLIMBING – 13,596 gamers

More than 13,000 gamers from 97 countries, and every continent except Antarcitca (penguin scientists suck) came together to make this happen.

I may make a more profound post later.  Right now the combination of sleep deprivation, 5-hour energy, and the pure emotion of this moment have sort of taken away my words.

I took a long lunch break today, as Tori’s mom and sister drove over to celebrate the day founded in memory of their Tori.  I think I am about to call them.

Tori if you can read gaming blogs in heaven, I miss you and love you.  This is for you sweet girl.

Thanks to everyone that made my dream come true tonight, and for keeping her memory alive.

For Tori.

I got involved with this group because I know what it is like to be in need, with me being disabled and not able to provide for my family, it hurts, real bad. However. I can't imaging what these kids go through, both being in need AND having a life threatening illness or injury. I just can't stand the thought of this. So, I decided to try and help do something about it. Seeing as I can't do all that much this just fell into my lap and seemed perfect.

I had a friend of my and my older brother help out. We started at 8a.m. that day and with about 8 energy drinks a piece, tons of Mt. Dew, and plenty of snacks. We each took turns and knocked out the 24 hours. It was amazing! We played a ton of different games. I haven't ever had that much fun while at the same time doing something so wonderful that would impact kids in a significant way. I'm not going to lie, when we hit the million dollar mark we all teared up a bit. It was an achievement for sure.

Although people may not care I thought I'd also show a list of games played. just for fun.
- Resident Evil: Code Veronica X
- Resident Evil 4
- Battlefield Bad Company 2
- Left 4 Dead
- Fable III
- Borderlands

I'll wrap this up with a link to an article with a priceless video of a group's reaction to hitting the million dollar mark. We had literally raised so much money that the ticker broke!

Extra-Life Raises $1,000,000!!

Thanks for reading and hope this didn't bore anyone to death.

Thanks for the update!  What a great event, and an even better cause.  Thanks for doing it.  Congrats on being part of such a successful fundraiser.