Topic: Worst Remakes

We have all said what we think are good remakes but what do you guys consider as the worst remakes

One of mine would be the TCM Remake. Bay's production made it too slick and therefore it totally lost the raw power the original had due its grainy, documentary feel. Incidentally it was that raw frightening power that got me into the Horror genre.

Last edited by Vasquez (2011-09-23 15:48:03)

2

Re: Worst Remakes

NOES remake everything about that movie is terrible from the CGI to the Batman sounding voice and the stupid and boring way the plot is put together

Re: Worst Remakes

i would have to say all the platinum dunes remakes were terrible. nightmare on elm street, friday the 13th. i am sick of the remakes!

Re: Worst Remakes

I haven't watched a lot of the more recent ones, I don't have a particular problem with remakes if done well, but I didn't care for the Halloween remake. Not that it wasn't well made, but what made Michael scary was that you didn't know why he was so evil, he just was, in the remake, we find out that it was because poor little Michael's parents just didn't love him enough. In the original, Michael's parents, in the one scene they were in, appeared upper middle class, in the remake, RZ turned them into borderline hillbillies.

I actually really enjoyed the TCM remake, mostly because of R. Lee Ermey as the sheriff.

Re: Worst Remakes

Day of the Dead '08 is definitely a front-runner for me.  Zombie's crawling on ceilings like Spider-Man?  And what the hell was Ving Rhames doing in this complete and utter turd?  Not to mention director Steve Miner, who is capable of so much better.  A complete wast of time in every sense of the word.

Some others which were, IMO, pure crap:
When a Stranger Calls
The Fog
Wizard of Gore
Carnival of Souls

Okay, I have to stop.  I'm making myself sick thinking about these damn movies... lol

EDIT:  A couple more I need to get out of my system:

Friday the 13th
A Nightmare on Elm Street
TCM '03

Whew.  Okay, feeling a little better now...

Re: Worst Remakes

Here are some horror movie remakes that were just awful in my opinion:

Halloween
Psycho
One Missed Call
House Of Wax
Black Christmas

Re: Worst Remakes

Im going for

Day of the Dead - Same reasons as LoudLon.
Psycho - Particularly annoying when i ask my new 'friends' at uni - "Have you seen Psycho"
"Yeh"
"which one"
"Are there two versions"
"Yes,  the original and remake"
"Must have been the remake I don't watch 'old movies'- They are boring" (Despite the fact they probably haven't seen any) - At which point i want to go Maniac on their ass.

Last edited by Vasquez (2011-09-23 21:23:55)

Re: Worst Remakes

Worst remake of all time, IMO, is Prom Night (2008).
But then of course, the original wasn't even that desirable.

Then there's the shot-for-shot remakes -
Psycho
The Omen
(UGH)

I'm going to be slapped for this, but I actually enjoyed the Day of the Dead remake. lol
It doesn't even stand up next to the original, but I thought it was ok. I enjoyed watching it, even if it is a bad film.

I also remember Black Christmas not being very good.
I didn't like the NOES remake either, and the new Friday the 13th wasn't that good. Didn't think it was terrible as some do, but it definitely wasn't good.

Re: Worst Remakes

^^^ Funny, I just watched Psycho '98 last night for the first time since it first hit video.  Yeah, it sucks, which of course I knew from already having seen it, but I felt compelled to watch it after seeing Anne Heche in Donnie Brasco a few days ago. lol

Re: Worst Remakes

The Omen

Re: Worst Remakes

The Omen
Black Christmas (I still haven't seen the original but the remake was sooo bad I'm putting it lol)
Prom Night
Psycho (Vince Vaughn? Why!!! Why would you cast him? lol)

Re: Worst Remakes

And 'My Bloody Valentine'. I hated that movie so much, I was so bored I started looking at the cinema walls lol.

Re: Worst Remakes

The Amityville Horror (2005)
A Nightmare on elm street
The Omen
Friday 13th
Halloween 1 and 2
House on hauted Hill
April Fool's Day
Don't be Afraid of the Dark
Sorority Row

Re: Worst Remakes

The worst remake that springs to mind is The Fog, that was broing as hell.

Re: Worst Remakes

@Bassi you really hated the Amityville Horror remake? I thought that was very very good! Ryan Reynolds pulled it off so well.

Re: Worst Remakes

House of Wax has to be the worst for me. The original was so epic that any remake featuring Paris friggin Hilton was always doomed. It was utterly terrible.
My Bloody Valentine was complete crap too
Prom Night - I've seen scarier kids tv shows
One Missed Call was pretty shitty.
Most American remakes of Japanese horror I actually hated

I haven't seen the Black Christmas remake because I really loved the original and I don't want to spoil it big_smile

Re: Worst Remakes

I'd disagree with Bloody Valentine, one of the very few remakes I liked.
I like the House of Wax remake just for Paris getting whacked.  Besides that, yeah, total shiite.
Prom Night made me want to toss a shoe at the TV.
And I also can't remember any J-horror that was remade better over here.
Still not really pleased with the Night of Demons remake, either.

Re: Worst Remakes

TCM
The Fog
Prom Night
April Fools Day
Psycho
The Omen

Re: Worst Remakes

ZOMBIE SLASHER wrote:

The worst remake that springs to mind is The Fog, that was broing as hell.

agreed.

Re: Worst Remakes

Baby_Firefly wrote:

@Bassi you really hated the Amityville Horror remake? I thought that was very very good! Ryan Reynolds pulled it off so well.

i thought  the remake was a lot better than the original too.

Re: Worst Remakes

HorrorQueen17 wrote:

House of Wax has to be the worst for me. The original was so epic that any remake featuring Paris friggin Hilton was always doomed. It was utterly terrible.

Her middle name is Whitney...:P

Plus as if you can blame Paris for liking or not liking the remake. All she had to do was strip down, run, scream and die and she did that pretty well. If it was any other chick doing the same job people wouldn't have bitched so much, they just get all panty twisted over it because it's her. She did a fine job and no she didn't ruin the movie.

Plus she thinks it's funny and drew in the big crowds with her death scene. I think that Chad and Elisha were decent leads too and it had some great moments (like when he cuts her finger off ha ha). So overall it's nowhere near the worst IMO.

Re: Worst Remakes

wolfman1959 wrote:
Baby_Firefly wrote:

@Bassi you really hated the Amityville Horror remake? I thought that was very very good! Ryan Reynolds pulled it off so well.

i thought  the remake was a lot better than the original too.

I haven't seen the original o.0 ha ha.

Re: Worst Remakes

Baby_Firefly wrote:
HorrorQueen17 wrote:

House of Wax has to be the worst for me. The original was so epic that any remake featuring Paris friggin Hilton was always doomed. It was utterly terrible.

Her middle name is Whitney...:P

Plus as if you can blame Paris for liking or not liking the remake. All she had to do was strip down, run, scream and die and she did that pretty well. If it was any other chick doing the same job people wouldn't have bitched so much, they just get all panty twisted over it because it's her. She did a fine job and no she didn't ruin the movie.

Plus she thinks it's funny and drew in the big crowds with her death scene. I think that Chad and Elisha were decent leads too and it had some great moments (like when he cuts her finger off ha ha). So overall it's nowhere near the worst IMO.

It's actually one of my faves.

Thanks for the link Baby. smile

Last edited by ZOMBIE SLASHER (2011-09-27 09:53:04)

Re: Worst Remakes

No probs babe! <3

Re: Worst Remakes

I thought the fright night remake wasn't that great. Certainly lacked the things that made the first one so good - the slow build , the sensuality , the music , the humor.
It was too straight forward and just bland.