Re: Worst Remakes

Wow you people are really hard on remakes.

I actually did enjoy some of them, such as TMC, Halloween (not great and just terrible compared to the original), My Bloody Valentine (I though it was great), Friday the 13th (good kills), Amityville (I felt was even better than the original), Fright Night (I truly enjoyed, in a different way from the original though).

ANOES was horrid. Pissed me off so much.
Day of The Dead pissed me off even more... freakin' spider zombies!
Let Me In, while not being terrible, I felt paled in comparison to the original.

I guess I'm less hard on movies than most of you. Maybe its the way I approach the remake. I dunno.

lovelybones wrote:

hills have eyes and the tcm remake are probably the only remakes i really enjoyed. they both surprised me... in a good way.

i'm terrified to see the thing remake.

you're smart smile

ejaculine wrote:

I actually did enjoy some of them, such as TMC, Halloween (not great and just terrible compared to the original), My Bloody Valentine (I though it was great), Friday the 13th (good kills), Amityville (I felt was even better than the original), Fright Night (I truly enjoyed, in a different way from the original though).

Let Me In, while not being terrible, I felt paled in comparison to the original.

I guess I'm less hard on movies than most of you. Maybe its the way I approach the remake. I dunno.

some of us love em some of us hate them. depends on how far back you go. my initial reaction when i hear such and such a film is being remade is " oh fuck, WHY". when i get round to seeing them i sometimes don't mind them or think what a piece of shit or what was the point of remaking that ( i.e Psycho, omen). some to me don't turn out to be remakes at all just a reworking which is ok.

^^it is true younger people seem to enjoy the remakes more, I do not though if it was done right the first time dont remake it, and as for re-imaginings yes sometimes they work, and sometimes you get Friday the 13th lol

ejaculine wrote:

It's the principle of converting these underground classics into oil used to lubricate the Hollywood money machine that I don't care for. For example the original TCM was independent, B-Grade, subversive, highly original, extremely well-made and ultimately opposed the system. The remake marks the day when that original deviating force gets absorbed back into the system, thus contradicting the values of the original film. and this happens a lot, not just with film. (but then again, perhaps this mainstream acceptance is the inevitable result of inciting that original social and cultural change in the first place, which is a positive way of looking at it i guess).

Furthermore, I just don't think the films are very good. Especially for many of the grindhouse classics, the B-Grade aesthetic contributes to the films authentic feel. When Hollywood slickness takes over, this original aesthetic is removed, thus detracting a vital ingredient from the film.

anywho that's just what i think..

- The Fog
- The Omen
- Psycho
- Black Christmas