Topic: Rank The Friday The 13th Series

One of my favorite series besides Phantasm and one that has a special place for me since it was among the very first that got me into Horror and made me a fan. Rank all twelve of the movies in your order of preference, including Freddy Vs. Jason and the 2009 reboot. My list goes:

Jason Lives
The Final Chapter
Part 2
The New Blood
A New Beginning
Part 3
Part 1
Jason Takes Manhattan
Jason Goes To Hell
Freddy Vs. Jason
Jason X

The Final Chapter and Jason Lives are both extremely close for first place but Jason Lives ultimately wins out based on sentimental value for me, as it was the first I ever saw and I still love it today. But with the strong exceptions of Jason X and Freddy Vs. Jason I honestly enjoy them all, even Jason Takes Manhattan and Jason Goes To Hell to some extent, which are just silly fun.

Re: Rank The Friday The 13th Series

9.  Friday '09 (0/10)
8.  TIE: Freddy vs Jason and Jason X (1/10)
7.   Jason Takes Manhattan (2/10)
6.   TIE: Friday part 2 and Jason Goes to Hell (3/10)
5.   TIE: Part 1 and Part VII: The New Blood (4/10)
4.   Part 5: A New Beginning (5/10)
3.   Part III (6/10)
2.   Part VI: Jason Lives (7/10)
1.   Part IV: The Final Chapter (8/10)

best to worst

1.Part III
2.Part VI
3.Part I
4.Part II
5.Part VIII
6.Part V
7. Part IV
8. Part VII
9. Jason X
10.Freddy Vs. Jason
11.Jason Goes To Hell
12. Friday 09

1. Friday the 13th 80
2. Part II
3. Part IV
4. Part VI
5. Part III
6. Friday 09
7. Part VII
8. Part V
9. Freddy vs Jason
10. Part VIII
11. Jason Goes To Hell
12. Jason X

Last edited by HORRORKID (2011-09-30 05:27:48)

I'm surprised to see some have the 2009 reboot ranked so low. It wasn't the best movie of the series but IMO very far from the worst, I thought it was the best since part 7 and first since that one I thought was genuinely any good, although I do kinda enjoy parts 8 and 9 as guilty pleasures.

1. Friday the 13th Part I
2. Part II
3. Part IV: The Final Chapter
4. Part VI: Jason Lives
5. Part III
6. Part V: A New Beginning
7. Part VII: The New Blood
8. Friday 09
9. Freddy vs Jason
10. Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan
11. Jason Goes To Hell
12. Jason X

This is a hard series to rank cause their are so many.. but anywho:

1. Part 4
2. Part 1
3. Part 2
4. Part 6
5. Part 7
6. Part 3
7. Part 8
8. Part 5

I'm not really sure about the rest...

^ - How do you think the other four might fit in?

I have made the decision this past weekend to watch the entire series during october, but I do gotta say that jason x was crappy!

Jigsaw wrote:

I'm surprised to see some have the 2009 reboot ranked so low. It wasn't the best movie of the series but IMO very far from the worst, I thought it was the best since part 7 and first since that one I thought was genuinely any good, although I do kinda enjoy parts 8 and 9 as guilty pleasures.

You and I almost totally agree on this.  Loved the remake, and def the best since 7, and better than some before.  I can stand 8, but think it did pretty much go down hill after 7.  Plus Jason Lives is my fave.  For some reason a lot of people around here have that as their fave.

So, mine would go from best to least:

Remake
F vs J
5 and 9 = Horrible

Ghostseeker wrote:
Jigsaw wrote:

You and I almost totally agree on this.  Loved the remake, and def the best since 7, and better than some before.  I can stand 8, but think it did pretty much go down hill after 7.  Plus Jason Lives is my fave.  For some reason a lot of people around here have that as their fave.

So, mine would go from best to least:

Remake
F vs J
5 and 9 = Horrible

Definitely. The reboot I thought was pretty solid all-around and delivered as a new-age Friday. I thought it was the first time since part 7 Jason was genuinely menacing and threatening, and I also dug the new survivalist aspect of his character in that one, it was something fresh but at the same time it felt very in-character. It had some nice chase scenes too and overall I thought it got the job done as a more old-school style Friday. I loved Derek Mears' Jason and hope he stays onboard for the next few movies.

I agree the series went downhill after part 7. I do enjoy 8 and 9 as guilty pleasures and cheesy fun, but it's obvious by that point I think the series began getting zanier and straying too far from it's roots. To me it hit absolute rock bottom with Jason X, and Freddy Vs. Jason I thought was an insult to both Freddy and Jason.

Last edited by Jigsaw (2011-09-27 22:45:35)

Wow...your explanation of the remake is great and totally fits what I think.  Better than I coulda written it (not sayin much there though).  The only thing I'd add is...awesome boobies.  Finally went back to that, like they did in the originals.

I get why people hate these movies.  They're not masterpieces.  I love them though.  Grew up on em.  Love the atmosphere and isolation.  Love the rural aspect of them.  The music.  Great fun.

Ghostseeker wrote:

Wow...your explanation of the remake is great and totally fits what I think.  Better than I coulda written it (not sayin much there though).  The only thing I'd add is...awesome boobies.  Finally went back to that, like they did in the originals.

I get why people hate these movies.  They're not masterpieces.  I love them though.  Grew up on em.  Love the atmosphere and isolation.  Love the rural aspect of them.  The music.  Great fun.

Same for me, I love most of them. They're just great escapist fun, watching Jason chase and kill teens in the woods.

I also liked the use of the underground tunnels in the reboot too, I thought that was something fresh and cool for the series and having chases underground was pretty cool. And I really like how the reboot can easily be a sequel in the old series, when you think about it it's not really a remake at all, just a loosely connected sequel.

^  Agreed.  I call it a remake, and kinda consider it one even though it's really not.  It wasn't a remake of any one in particular, so not really a remake.  Good call.

I think it works as a sequel. It didn't really outright erase the previous canon or ignore any of the previous movies, it just started off as a typical F13 movie. In some ways it's like a sequel doubling as a reboot.

On a related note, who are your favorite Jason actors and why?

Ted White and CJ Graham are neck and neck for me. White was incredibly menacing and vicious and had a lot of raw rage he brought to the part, but CJ Graham's more Terminator-like killer was great as well. I also loved Derek Mears in the reboot, he felt a lot like the older Jason, while Kane Hodder in The New Blood and Richard Brooker in Part 3 were also great in their own ways.

Jigsaw wrote:

^ - How do you think the other four might fit in?

I'd prob put them somewhere in between part 7 and 3 (so in between my 5th and 6th choice).. However i would probably make the remake last of all of them.. Not necessarily cause I hated it but just cause I prefer the old and B-grade ones.. Plus the principle of a remake existing in that really slick Hollywood form just bothers me...

so my 'official' list is:

1. Part 4
2. Part 1
3. Part 2
4. Part 6
5. Part 7
6. Jason X
7. Freddy vs Jason
8. Jason goes to hell
9. Part 3
10. Part 8
11. Part 5

(my first 5 choices are the only ones i really watch)..

Ahh, hmm.  Need to review to refresh my memory.

Fun fact- in 1933 there was a film "Friday the Thirteenth"

Top to bottom-
#1 I have to go with original for starting it all.
#2 as it cemented the idea.
#4 as probably the best
#9 for the idea
Friday '09 since it was fairly good
X because everything is better in space
Freddy vs. Jason- just odd enough to be fun
#7 because psychic power is just stupid
#8 for the boxer guy
#3 because why not
#6 because... oh who knows
#5 for being stupid

Take it, leave it, use it as toilet paper.

Last edited by azathoth (2011-09-30 04:42:02)

Ms45 wrote:

I'd prob put them somewhere in between part 7 and 3 (so in between my 5th and 6th choice).. However i would probably make the remake last of all of them.. Not necessarily cause I hated it but just cause I prefer the old and B-grade ones.. Plus the principle of a remake existing in that really slick Hollywood form just bothers me...

That was one of my gripes with the reboot, it was overly slick-looking compared with most of the classic F13s. But I guess that's to be expected from a movie made in the late 2000s, not many that have that gritty look.

I watched The Final Chapter earlier as part of my annual October Horror movie viewing and I just might bump it to number one on my list. I love it and Jason Lives equally and the two are interchangable for my absolute favorite F13.

Well same as before but the only new one i have added to list the Remake and  Part 3 now my Favorite of the series! (Used to be 4 )

Friday 13th Part 3
Friay 13th Part 4
Friday 13th Part 6
Friday 13th Part 2
Freddy Vs Jason
Jason X
Jason Goes hell
Friday 13th part 7
Friday 13th part 8
Friday 13th Remake

I have only seen Friday 13, part 1 and 5 Once before, that really long time, i need to see them again before I rate them!

Friday The 13th Part 3
Friday The 13th The Final Chapter
Friday The 13th (original)
Friday The 13th Part 2
Friday The 13th (remake)
Friday The 13th Part 5 A New Beginning
Friday The 13th Part 7 The New Blood
Jason X
Freddy vs. Jason
Friday The 13th Part 6 Jason Lives
Friday The 13th Part 8 Jason Takes Manhattan
Jason Goes To Hell The Final Friday

Jigsaw wrote:
Ms45 wrote:

That was one of my gripes with the reboot, it was overly slick-looking compared with most of the classic F13s. But I guess that's to be expected from a movie made in the late 2000s, not many that have that gritty look.

yeah i know people like that new slick style.. not really my thing though. The production values should be as grisly as the content haha...

1. Friday the 13th original - For being a legend & starting it off.
2. Friday the 13th Part 2 - Great sequel.
3. The Final Chapter - Corey Feldman, lots of nudity & Tom Savini back on the FX.
4. Jason Lives - Great story & i love the beginning in the grave yard & the sleeve art.
5. The New Blood - Great idea & kills.
6. Jason X - Some of the best kills of the series & 24 of them no less.
7. Part 3 - was never a fave but has grown on me & Jason get's the hockey mask.
8. Friday the 13th remake - I thought it was way better than most give credit.
9. Freddy vs Jason - It's in the title, enough said.
10. Jason Takes Manhattan - Again most hate it but i like the kills in it such as death by guitar.
11. A New Beginning - Down near the bottom but not that i don't like it, just like others more.
12. Jason Goes to Hell - Not got the same feel, just bottom of the pile for me but i did like the references to other films like Creepshow one.

1. Part 4, not only my favorite film of the series but one of my favorite films period. A near perfect example of a slasher movie.

2. Part 1, has a lot of flaws and is a bit overrated but overall it does have a good creepy atmosphere and a few good kills.

3. Part 6

4. Part 3

5. Friday the 13th 09, I know a lot of fans hate but I thought it was a excellent slasher. It's better if you try not to think of it has a Friday film LOL

6. Part 8, it's just so 80's.

7. Part 2

8. Part 5

9. Freddy vs. Jason

10. Jason goes to Hell

11. Part 7

12. Jason X