Topic: The Work Thread

Since I've noticed people have been having some "fun" times with work recently, and some of us are quitting and/or looking for jobs, I thought I'd start up a Work thread for people to talk and bitch on as there is no thread about this yet.

I'll start.  Signed up for 3 different tests to qualify for state employment jobs.  Figure it can't hurt.  All my other leads have petered out or not responded yet.

Re: The Work Thread

digitally printing dark colored garments sucks my shapely ass.
c'mon 5 o'clock!

I quit yesterday I feel free!!  Hopefully I start my new one right after Canadian Thanksgiving (This weekend)   Funny thing is my boss was complaining how hard my job is and how she couldn't keep up!  I said so you want me to stay then?  Give me my old job back and I will stay!  LOL

I feel very fortunate to live in a community where there are plenty of jobs available, if one is willing to work hard. There are mining & oil field jobs that pay well, but with the high pay, comes hard work, risks, and long hours. I chose not to enter any of those fields of work as a career. Instead I work with at risk kids and am payed well for it. I don't make a 6 digit figure annually. I don't at all regret my choice either! I've been at my job for 10+ yrs now and go to work feeling pretty damn good. Although I must say " I don't always leave that way." I do feel that making a positive difference in a persons life is "priceless." To me personally: that's what life/work should be about. Which is doing something that you take pride in and most of all enjoy doing.

Underdog, I think you've got the right sentiments exactly. I've been doing some work with at risk kids myself in my community, and it's made me take a year out from my degree so I can be sure what I want to do. I was doing a law degree but after all my youth work experience I am seriously considering going into teaching instead. Meanwhile I am trying to find a job to tide me over, which is doing my head in!

I'm finally realizing that moving so far away from family to a town in the hills of KY may have been a bad idea.  I've been job searching seriously for the last two months, but there aren't a lot of jobs available here so there are a ton of people all applying for the same jobs.  Right now I'm waiting to see if my unemployment is going to be renewed (new fiscal year, I had to reapply and haven't heard anything back yet) and if it's not, well...then I'm pretty much 100% fucked right up the ass.

So, it's a bit of stressful time at the moment, which is why I haven't been around much this week.  Hopefully I'll know something by the end of the week, though it could take up to THREE WEEKS before I hear anything.

HorrorQueen17 wrote:

Underdog, I think you've got the right sentiments exactly. I've been doing some work with at risk kids myself in my community, and it's made me take a year out from my degree so I can be sure what I want to do. I was doing a law degree but after all my youth work experience I am seriously considering going into teaching instead. Meanwhile I am trying to find a job to tide me over, which is doing my head in!

You could get a law degree and get into the juvenile justice system.

No complaints,still love my job.

i'm starting my new tattoo apprenticeship on Tuesday, so i'm pretty excited and pumped about it, not going to bitch about anything other then the fact that finding a place to live in this city is a pain in my ass,so for the part time i'll be living with my boss till I can find a place for myself and my girlfriend, i'm not going to mind living with him for a bit it's just I can't call it "home" if you get what I mean, so I'm hoping things turn up soon for the apartment side of things.

I have worked (in many different roles) for a major prosthetic manufacture for ten years. my wife works here too. it has its ups and downs. There is the depressing corporate aspect like when the laid off all my friends in the warehouse and sent the jobs to Mexico. But we make a product that gives people a chance to get back to a life they had thought was over, so it is rewarding.

^^
Every time you and wifey make one, someone gets some ability back.  That is some serious shit.  Parents that can play with their kids again, kids who can walk, soldiers who can come back after devastating injuries... yeah, that's good work.

Monkey gives you the thumbs up.
http://myfunnypics.org/d/640-1/Funny+monkey+sticks+out+tongue+and+gives+the+thumbs+up.jpg

Last edited by azathoth (2011-10-06 11:39:56)

Thanks. My company makes a lot of higher activity lower extremity (feet). So a lot of kids, athletes of all ages and soldiers use our stuff. And some of the patient stories that came back are amazing.

Just coincidently saw this on yahoo news. That’s our foot she received.
http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/dish/20 … losing-leg

I've been looking to get out of my job for a while now, been working at a major fast-food restaurant for seven years now and it sucks. Unfortunately its only part-time jobs available near to me and I can't afford to support my family on a part-time job, I can barely support them now on just above minimum wage. While the job sucks ass and the pay sucks even more ass, the majority of people there are really good and we have a strong bond. My fiancée also works there, but she could get any other job, extremely fluent in a number of languages but she just won't go for it.

Its a shame as I feel bad, as I got her a job here in the first place and she often gets depressed, yeah, I'm getting too deep into this. smile So yeah, although my job sucks its the only option and I can only be grateful that I have a job.

I'm a waitress. Mostly my job is nice but it can be very stressful and hard when the customers are rude and horrible. I work with the funniest and coolest group of people though and it is like non-stop laughs all the time. Plus we hang out outside of work too xD.

Our work ball was one of the best days of my life.

My last day is today, I start the new one on Tuesday.  Woo-Hoo!

I work in grocery store its not terrible except my managers expect me to work full-time because i used to and then dont realize i go to school now so they still harass me everyday to work which suck, that and any holiday because people are stupid and shop last second causing chaos lol

@JJ - I hate going shopping in the Christmas rush anyway, working in a grocery store must do your head in when it's busy!

Good news for me on the work front - I got an interview on Monday! It's for PC World which is a big chain of computer stores. I love technology and computing so it would be perfect for me big_smile

I run boats at Disney World.

I sell marijuana. In the back-alley on 5th Avenue, that's where you'll find me..

hellrat wrote:

I run boats at Disney World.

My parents, sis and bro-in-law & their kids are going down their the week after Thanksgiving (me & Vamps don't have the money to go).  I'll have to get back in touch with you about this, so I can have my 2 year old niece drive the boat.  That might not be the best idea, though, since her favorite word/phrase is "Oh oh."

HorrorQueen17 wrote:

@JJ - I hate going shopping in the Christmas rush anyway, working in a grocery store must do your head in when it's busy!

Yea it sucks especially when im there at night and in school all day so when i get home i get to stay up all night doing assignments

Just finished my second week at my new job. Driving armored trucks all around south east Michigan. Pay is decent (for me, anyhow), hours are long (pulled a 16 hour last saturday), but the work is easy, even though its a bit stressful at times. Still waiting to get my flak vest.

FYI, if you ever see an armored truck pulled up to some business, blocking like three parking spots, dont honk your horn and flip them off. I'm sure the driver knows how to park, it's just a security thing, ha.

^^
Interesting job!  Get to carry a gun?
How does the truck handle, it's got to be like 6 tons with the armor?

Kind of surprised that people honk at you; around here people tend to give the guys a wide berth (so as to not make them nervous).

Just noticed, according to the poll, that HM has a 23% unemployment rate.  (As of Oct 9 at noon)