Re: Home Media Future

After the above reporting period (my previous post) which showed a dramatic increase to 40% market share for Blu-ray, there was, as expected a decline the folowing week to 30%. Now 30% is still excellent considering that, until a couple of months ago, Blu-ray was stuck around 20%.

I anticipated that this weeks report might show another decline as BD settled into a "normal" range in the 20's after a months of unusually high market share.

I'm pleased to say I guessed wrong. In fact, Blu-ray returned with it's second highest market share ever...beaten only by the 40% shown in my last post.

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/files/homemediamagazine/blocks/htmlteaser/11/Webresearch-110711.jpg

And it was 120% higher than the same week last year. Also, as in my previous post, although DVD sales declined, the increase in Blu-ray sales was so strong that it more than offset the DVD decline and so disc based media actually recorded another strong week of growth: 9.47% over the same perioc last year.

33.5 million U.S. household now have Blu-ray capable playback devices. That's a 52% increase over this time last year.

I wonder now if, perhaps, we really are reaching that tipping point where BD replaces DVD as the dominant physical media.

EDITED TO ADD THE FOLLOWING NEW INFO:

"Earlier today, the Digital Entertainment Group, a Los Angeles-based, industry funded nonprofit corporation that advocates and promotes the many consumer benefits associated with various entertainment products, including both physical and digital media on a variety of platforms, reported a 5% increase in home entertainment spending in Q3. The increase, which is the first since the first quarter of 2008 when the economic downturn began, is driven by a surge in Blu-ray sales. "

Last edited by Dex Robinson (2011-10-31 22:27:37)

Time for another chart smile.

I just found this from the Digital Entertainment Group.

It's useful because it gives us a look at how things stand today (well, actually how they stood in the thrid quarter ot 2011).

http://cdn.splatf.com/w/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/home-entertainment-3q11.gif

Basically, the blue and red tones are physical discs.

I see that the actual PURCHASE of discs remains the overwhelming source of home video entertainment spending. Nothing else really come close. 44% of revenue from disc sales and 35% from disc rentals.

Physical media will be around for a while yet. Now that consumer 4k tvs are coming out it's only a matter of time before 4k movies are sold on disc or flash cards.

Internet speeds aren't ready for that kind of bitrate and resolution. In most situations internet speeds can barely handle bluray quality streaming.